• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker - eek! (1 Viewer)

Quacker

I know people have seen them, always other people. A sparrow-sized woodpecker, unmistakeable, yes I have heard the description of this mythical creature.

More chance of me seeing the legendary Great Auk, or even Ivory Billed Woodpecker (search the forum threads if you want to read that one!) This little woody has been on my most-wanted list for a few years now. It has a pattern of very occasionally turning up where I have been a few days earlier, or a few days later (in the forlorn or even vain hope it will come back just for me).

Nemesis bird? holy grail? - my equivalent of Bill's Corncrake? - I'm planning a visit to Potteric Carr next Saturday. it has been seen there in recent weeks - even a brief glimpse would do - I'm not greedy. Has anyone managed to see this elusive little feller? - I'd assume it is high on a lot of people's want list....

Steve

Hiya Steve,good luck in your hunt for the elusive Lesser Spotted!!

Believe it or not the only time I've ever seen one was in my garden!!!!:eek!:
About 13 years ago now my son who at the time was a budding Bill Oddie came in from the garden and calmly announced there was a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in the garden.....needless to say I didn't believe him until he dragged me to the window and there climbing up the Forsythia behind the pond was indeed a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker!!!!!!:eek!:

It stayed long enough for me to grab the bins and get a really good look at it!

My son is 20 next week but he still remembers the time he spotted the Lesser Spotted!!!!!!:-O

I've not seen one, despite always looking at Potteric. Like you they're a bit of an arch enemy.

There's been one at Fairburn too, don't know if it's still there, but it might be on the way back for you?

I've not seen one, despite always looking at Potteric. Like you they're a bit of an arch enemy.

There's been one at Fairburn too, don't know if it's still there, but it might be on the way back for you?

Saw the one at Fairburn just before Christmas, rumour has it there may be a pair. I've been there today hoping it may still be seen but to no avail. On the plus side I saw my first smew and a cracing drake at that.:t:
Chris.

Hi Steve,
There has been one reported at my local patch Forest Farm for years.
Ive not seen it nor has anyone I've spoken to!
It's become a bit of a myth! lol!
Good Luck & fingers crossed Steve.

Hi Ruth,
Wow that was something very special, I thought I had, had the ultimate siting of a Lesser Spot when I watched it coming down to feeders at a reserve. But you siting beats that easily, I'm not really jealous just a tinge of green around the edges. LOL
George

Hi Steve,

LSW can be a right little beggar to get ticked - used to get a tricky individual annually in Cardiff when I worked there but since I finished there I have only seen them flashing across the car and over into an army training camp in the Beacons!

Currently working on getting access to this prime bit of birding territory but I know there must be an easier bird somewhere, well at least I hope there is.

Hi Steve,
If you had turned up at the Bird Fair at Rutland instead of chickening out because it was rainy you would have proberly been with me when I had a 10 second veiw of one along side the path, Just to jog your memory Steve I also got the Slovenian Grebe the day after you left Speyside back in June, Sorry my old pal,

I really hope you see one at Potteric, it's a great reserve, I was thinking of a trip there myself to try for the Bittern so don't be surprised if you bump into a good looking southern git,
HAPPY BIRDING
Jim

Last edited:
Hi Steve. I am really lucky that Lesser spotted woodpeckers frequent my local patch. Even managed a photo in my gallery. They are a wonderful little bird and you will be thrilled to bits when you see one.Best of luck on Saturday and I hope you see it.

Hi Steve,
If you had turned up at the Bird Fair at Rutland instead of chickening out because it was rainy you would have proberly been with me when I had a 10 second veiw of one along side the path, Just to jog your memory Steve I also got the Slovenian Grebe the day after you left Speyside back in June, Sorry my old pal,

I really hope you see one at Potteric, it's a great reserve, I was thinking of a trip there myself to try for the Bittern so don't be surprised if you bump into a good looking southern git,
HAPPY BIRDING
Jim

I have it on authority it was a juvenile GSW - the red head fooled you Jim and that has now been taken away - by me lol.

Hi Steve,

LSW can be a right little beggar to get ticked - used to get a tricky individual annually in Cardiff when I worked there but since I finished there I have only seen them flashing across the car and over into an army training camp in the Beacons!

Was this at Forest Farm Karl?

Hi Steve,
If you had turned up at the Bird Fair at Rutland instead of chickening out because it was rainy you would have proberly been with me when I had a 10 second veiw of one along side the path,

Doh! Where was I when that happened Jim?? lol!

How did it get in the scope and did you release it afterwards;)

ps -you still beaming after Sunday..

HA HA.

I was looking for Hawfinch at the time and it climbed into view well chuffed.

Sunday? and I sit opposite a Chelski supporter. B :)

bet you are in shock to still be in contention to stay up. with luck you'll get more points this season than in previous two attempts.

Was this at Forest Farm Karl?

Hi Steve,
If you had turned up at the Bird Fair at Rutland instead of chickening out because it was rainy you would have proberly been with me when I had a 10 second veiw of one along side the path,

Doh! Where was I when that happened Jim?? lol!

We drove round to the other side of the lake after we left you on the sunday Sue and saw it there. Mind you it was only a quick look but good enough for a tick.

Oh Steve don't be rotten.

My son is 20 next week but he still remembers the time he spotted the Lesser Spotted!!!!!!:-O

They DO that, don't they!!! :smoke:

Neil is fond of reminding me of the time HE saw a Red Kite seven years before I did! :C The fact that I would have known instantly what it was whereas he did NOT and had to ring me to describe it is neither here nor there! ;) :-O

Good luck on Saturday Steve :t:

Hope you see it on Saturday Steve!

My sister, who lives in Kent, gets them in her garden occasionally. I am hoping one will be there when we next go to stay!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back