• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for binocular 8 X ? or 10 X ? (1 Viewer)

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your advices and suggestions!
As a summary of our "discussions" I tend to wait for a binocular with around 42mm objectives
and compare one with 8 times magnification to one with a ten times magnification and decide then.
I will have to wait for the second half of January 2021 when the shops are opened without any limits caused by COVID-19.
The price might then perhaps be above the limit I mentioned above...
;)

Merry Christmas Hardy 🎅🎄

At your vintage, and with the viewing circumstances you describe, a ~4mm exit pupil should be ok.

That leaves you with a choice of 8x32, or 10x42.

Unless you are really dead set on the 10x , the 8x32 will offer a wider Field of View, and greater Depth of Field, as well as a more stable view handheld, and be lighter - and thus be easier to use.

Really it is best if you could try these two formats for yourself to see what you think. Unless just about all of your viewing is at ~100m then the 8x would be far more versatile.

Will you be keeping your existing 8x32 ? and apart from the 'wrinkles' is their anything wrong/lacking with it optically ?
If it is ok - it may be worth it to go for the different format .... ?

Chosun 🙅

Last edited:
Best wishes in your search. If we lived closer, I'd love to have you 'test drive' my Zeiss FL 8x33 binoculars against my Minox 8.5x43's. I'm hoping to add a pair of Zeiss Victory HT 10x54 but, those would be an unfair comparison with a price way out of reach of your budget.

Hopefully, we both score a good deal after Christmas in our quest to add new binoculars!

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your advices and suggestions!
As a summary of our "discussions" I tend to wait for a binocular with around 42mm objectives
and compare one with 8 times magnification to one with a ten times magnification and decide then.
I will have to wait for the second half of January 2021 when the shops are opened without any limits caused by COVID-19.
The price might then perhaps be above the limit I mentioned above...
;)

Hi,

I wouldn't hold my breath for 2nd half of January... btw. where in germany do you live, if it's not too far from Frankfurt/Main, we could meet (of course outside, with distance and mask) and I could bring a pair or three to try...

Joachim

Hi Joachim,

thank you, your offer is very friendly.
I´m living in Papenburg a bit far from Frankfurt.
I will have a try of Minox binoculars I order online
and may send back if not satisfactoring.

Hi,

ok Papenburg is about as far as one can get in germany from Frankfurt... good luck then with Minox.

Joachim

That's not too far from Enschede, NL! I wish I was there again (Enschede and Hengelo) some days. A truly wonderful area to live and work in middle adulthood.

Last edited:
Papenburg to Enschede,NL is nearer than to Frankfurt, that´s right.
But I´ll have to wait for the Corona restrictions having gone...next year.
Maar dat is hopelijk snel...:)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back