• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paradoxe in bino-pockets? (1 Viewer)

Granpoli

Spain
Hello,
looking at small pockets... I am very surprised, I don't know if this is the right word, that they practically had the same price as the Leica Ultravid 8x20 and Swarovski CL 8x25 models..., both very similar in quality and characteristics... but a 25mm vs 20mm in favor of Swaro. which is a substantial difference. I think... why do these types of "paradoxes" usually occur... or is it really not? ... that is, there is a clear superiority in favor of the Leica!?
Poli

It all depends on your definition of pocket!

A 25mm gives a better view than 20mm, but a 30mm gives a better view than 25mm and so on. I have yet to find a 25mm binocular I would want to carry in my pocket. And by pocket I mean an everyday clothing pocket, not some giant poachers pocket, not a pouch attached to a belt, a normal coat or trouser pocket that you might stick a phone in or a small packet of Werthers Originals.

I put my pocket binoculars in my pocket and when I want to use them I take them out. When in use I just carry them in my hand. When I am done I put them back in my pocket. They are an auxiliary binocular, I stick them I my pocket if I go to the shops, I stick them in my pocket if I am mountaineering, I stick them in my pocket if I am gadding about a city. If one of the purposes of my being out is to watch wildlife I will take something bigger, hung about my neck as a badge of office.

When comparing models, you need to compare apples with apples, a £250 pair of 32mm binoculars will give a better view and be more ergonomic than a £600 pair of 20mm binoculars but you can't stick the 32s into your trouser pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back