• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking to upgrade from my SLC (1 Viewer)

ofl0926

Morning everyone

I have had my 10x42 SLC and they have served me right. I just saw that the EL 10x42 are on sale. So when I would talk to different companies about the difference between the NL and EL, they say NL all the way. I can understand the FOV is a bit bigger and the ergonomics are better. At the same time, I wouldn’t put past them that they are trying to upsell.
So I came here for advice.
I don’t have a place to view them side by side.
Just looking for your thoughts, inputs and true experiences.
Thank you

The question is: why do you want to upgrade? Do you have the feeling you are missing something? Anything in particular that you don't really like about the SLC's?

I have the SLC 10x42 and I really like it. One of the most lightweight 10x42's premium binoculars. I actually sold my EL 10x42 and got the SLC 10x42 instead, mostly because of the ergonomics (better fitting eyecups, more lightweight, better balance for me.). The focuser of the EL's is nicer and the focuser of the NL's is a dream. The ergonomics are also really nice on the NL's. If you want the best and the weight isn't really important to: go for the NL's.

The question is: why do you want to upgrade? Do you have the feeling you are missing something? Anything in particular that you don't really like about the SLC's?

I have the SLC 10x42 and I really like it. One of the most lightweight 10x42's premium binoculars. I actually sold my EL 10x42 and got the SLC 10x42 instead, mostly because of the ergonomics (better fitting eyecups, more lightweight, better balance for me.). The focuser of the EL's is nicer and the focuser of the NL's is a dream. The ergonomics are also really nice on the NL's. If you want the best and the weight isn't really important to: go for the NL's.

One thing that caught my attention about the NL was the bigger FOV. I’ve heard the experience behind the NL is outstanding.
I’m always looking to upgrade my equipment.

I would keep your SLC 10x42. The only advantage the NL 10x42 has over the SLC 10x42 is the bigger FOV and the tradeoff is a lot more glare and more weight and bulk. I personally would rather have a slightly smaller FOV with less glare. The SLC 10x42 is much smaller and lighter than the NL 10x42, and it has superior ergonomics with better balance and more comfortable eye cups. I think for a 42mm, the NL 10x42 is heavy and bulky at almost 33 oz. I also prefer the case on the SLC over the goofy side load case of the NL, the rain guard is difficult to remove on the NL and I hate the FP strap attachments on the NL.

To some extent it depends how recent your SLC is. The SLC HD and later models are optically excellent and also very well built. If you trawl through the discussions here you'll find some folks prefer the more traditional (no field flattener) optical design and can be quite negative about field flatteners and the related "rolling ball" phenomenon.

But a lot also depends on what you're going to use it for. Very few folks here are glassing for hours (including first light and last light) with tripod mounted binoculars searching for targets at half a mile or more, for instance.

To some extent it depends how recent your SLC is. The SLC HD and later models are optically excellent and also very well built. If you trawl through the discussions here you'll find some folks prefer the more traditional (no field flattener) optical design and can be quite negative about field flatteners and the related "rolling ball" phenomenon.

But a lot also depends on what you're going to use it for. Very few folks here are glassing for hours (including first light and last light) with tripod mounted binoculars searching for targets at half a mile or more, for instance.

I bought my SLC in 2019

I had an EL SV for a few years, and it was an excellent glass.

The only reason I got rid of it was that as I got older it got heavier.

The rolling ball was annoying, but the ability to look around within the field of view was a big positive for me.

Top notch optics, and before all the recent compromises for political correctness, and the Fieldpro business.

Last edited:
Morning everyone

I have had my 10x42 SLC and they have served me right. I just saw that the EL 10x42 are on sale. So when I would talk to different companies about the difference between the NL and EL, they say NL all the way. I can understand the FOV is a bit bigger and the ergonomics are better. At the same time, I wouldn’t put past them that they are trying to upsell.
So I came here for advice.
I don’t have a place to view them side by side.
Just looking for your thoughts, inputs and true experiences.
Thank you
Really, that's a pretty difficult binocular to upgrade from if we are being honest with ourselves. You'll have to kinda decide what areas of the SLC 10X42 you'll want to "upgrade."

If you want to keep the same basic size/weight and increase FOV then maybe a NL or SF 10X42.
If you want to try to MAYBE upgrade image and slight FOV upgrade then an EL or UVHD+ in 10X50 at the expense of increased weight and size.

Just some thoughts!

I have SLC HD 10x42 and also consider it one of the finest ever made; don't think of it as some sort of budget model because Swaro tried to position it that way. Ergonomics of EL or NL aren't really "better", just different. Optically, the main difference is sharpness to the very edge of the field, which some might not even care about. Plus a wider view in NL, which of course is immediately noticeable but may or may not actually matter depending on your use, and comes at a very high cost. If you're just ready for a change and want to go for it, you'll quickly find a buyer for your SLC.

You own an amazing optic.
You may well regret going on an unecessary and expensive upgrade path.
I am one of the few folk whoe are NOT blown away with NL Pures.
Technically an amazing bino, no question, but I just don't like the view throught them as much as Leica Ultravids, for example, and from memory I also prefer the SLC.
Tread carefully.
SLC's are a classic.

It's worth noting that folks who look through their binoculars for "the view" may have quite different priorities from those who use their binoculars to actually search for things - especially in The Other Sport. There's no question that the last iterations of SLC are outstanding - what isn't so clear is whether the qualities of EL/NL may better suit your intended use for a binocular.

Really, that's a pretty difficult binocular to upgrade from if we are being honest with ourselves. You'll have to kinda decide what areas of the SLC 10X42 you'll want to "upgrade."

If you want to keep the same basic size/weight and increase FOV then maybe a NL or SF 10X42.
If you want to try to MAYBE upgrade image and slight FOV upgrade then an EL or UVHD+ in 10X50 at the expense of increased weight and size.

Just some thoughts!
The thing that caught my attention about the NL was field of view.

I have SLC HD 10x42 and also consider it one of the finest ever made; don't think of it as some sort of budget model because Swaro tried to position it that way. Ergonomics of EL or NL aren't really "better", just different. Optically, the main difference is sharpness to the very edge of the field, which some might not even care about. Plus a wider view in NL, which of course is immediately noticeable but may or may not actually matter depending on your use, and comes at a very high cost. If you're just ready for a change and want to go for it, you'll quickly find a buyer for your SLC.
I appreciate the comment.
I do enjoy looking through my SLC. When I originally bought them, it was a huge upgrade from my maven c.1 binos.
The FOV of the new NL is was the biggest thing that caught my attention. Every vendor I call and talk to, tells me that it is a huge upgrade to go from the SLC to NL. Then again, I sometimes think, they are just trying to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back