• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking to upgrade from my SLC (1 Viewer)

Before selling your SLC, try the NL however you can mail order etc, they are nice but require attention of eye placement in the eye box when using them. Some do not like this characteristic of the glass.

Before selling your SLC, try the NL however you can mail order etc, they are nice but require attention of eye placement in the eye box when using them. Some do not like this characteristic of the glass.
Excellent, not to mention safe advice, and I’m one of the few who has not liked the NL models I’ve looked through so far, also on the list of people interested in an SLC instead.
Never know until you look through your own eyes.

The thing that caught my attention about the NL was field of view.
For sure I can't recommend AGAINST an NL 10X42. I've had one about a year. Really, it's just a great binocular. Its forte is it's a 10X42 with the wide FOV of a 8X42. Also the focus adjustment beats anything Swarovski has ever made and the ergonomics are excellent. I used mine most of last winter and even as recently as yesterday trying to find a limpkin in the area. Glare never presented itself in any way whatsoever yesterday and it usually doesn't. I've seen it before, in this very binocular and it's certainly not an every day occurrence and even more importantly it simply is just not that critical of an issue as it's made out to be here by a few outliers.

IMG_1707.jpeg

For sure I can't recommend AGAINST an NL 10X42. I've had one about a year. Really, it's just a great binocular. Its forte is it's a 10X42 with the wide FOV of a 8X42. Also the focus adjustment beats anything Swarovski has ever made and the ergonomics are excellent. I used mine most of last winter and even as recently as yesterday trying to find a limpkin in the area. Glare never presented itself in any way whatsoever yesterday and it usually doesn't. I've seen it before, in this very binocular and it's certainly not an every day occurrence and even more importantly it simply is just not that critical of an issue as it's made out to be here by a few outliers.

IMG_1707.jpeg
+1. It is a remarkable bit of kit and worth every penny.

IMG_1707.jpeg
I don't know if you could call Binomania and Holger Merlitz an outlier. They are both pretty knowledgeable about optics, and they both say the NL has a glare problem. I have had binoculars for 20 years and I agree with them and I see exactly the same glare they did.

Of all the NL's though and I have had them all, I would say the 10x42 is the best for controlling glare so depending on how you use them and if you get the eye cups adjusted correctly which can be tedious you may not notice a lot of glare but to write the glare problem off as a non-issue is a mistake because if you do Swarovski will never correct it.

The El had a glare problem and Swarovski never corrected it in the NL, and they should have, so maybe if we complain about it enough they will fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back