• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2015 (1 Viewer)

Majorca 5 April to 19 April 2015

horse wandering in front of bishop 1, hope it did not crush any eggs/young.
whiskered terns depuadora,
B H G. salbufera.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_5294 (800x573).jpg
    IMG_5294 (800x573).jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5300 (800x572).jpg
    IMG_5300 (800x572).jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5356 (774x557).jpg
    IMG_5356 (774x557).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5407 (776x554).jpg
    IMG_5407 (776x554).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 55
Todays Mystery bird at S'Albufera

A wet visit to Albufera produced some nice birds:

- 3 Ospreys including one eating fresh fish
- little Bittern fly over
- Whimbrel
- Spotted Redshank
- Green Sandpiper
- Night Heron
- Purple Gallinule
- Black winged Stilts
- Stone Curlews
- Kentish and ringed plovers

Any idea of the mystery bird that even harrassed the feeding osprey!

Sorry for the bad photo...you can see the size by camparison with the Stilt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 142
Thanks everyone for your good wishes, recovery is slow and I am confined to the apartment for at least four weeks. As I will be missing most migration I have set up my own migration watch point on the balcony. You can't keep a birder down. Mike

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me where to find the following:

"SIGHTING FILE
To facilitate the compilation and processing of sightings, there is a standard
file where all the data can be taken down in an orderly way, preventing useful
data to be forgotten, you can find this file on the web page www.gobmallorca.com.
It is not necessary to use this file, but it can be used as a guide."

I have looked at the website and cannot find it. Also to whom should records be sent?

Mark

Thanks everyone for your good wishes, recovery is slow and I am confined to the apartment for at least four weeks. As I will be missing most migration I have set up my own migration watch point on the balcony. You can't keep a birder down. Mike

Great to see that you're up and about with that "trusty" Scope again Mike.
Take Care.Best Wishes.

Ian

Still some good migration with several Honey buzzard and Hobby although most of the Bee-eaters seem to have moved through. There is a boat trip to Cabrera today so I will report later, the amount of rarities that get over-looked every year must be staggering. The island is well worth a visit at this time of the year. Mike

Just back from a fortnight based in Puerto Pollenca. Had 122 species of birds and a couple I couldn't ID.
Highlights of the holiday include the following.

Mortitx in Tramuntana mountains;

Black Vulture,Griffon Vulture, Crossbill, Wryneck, Bonelli's Eagle (pair) and around 15-20 Eleanora's Falcons over the vineyard and surrounding trees..with a Hobby there too.

Deporadora (sewage farm);

2 Flamingoes, Avocets, Woodchat Shrike, Water Pipit, Hoopoe, Hobby, Booted Eagle, Black-winged Stilt, Wood sandpiper (4)

Albufereta reserve;

Tawny Pipit, Great White Egret, Woodchat Shrike, Osprey, Purple Heron, Glossy Ibis.

Albufera reserve;

Flamingo, Osprey, Caspian Terns, Marbled duck, Red-crested Pochard, Stone-Curlew, Turnstone, Whimbrel, Night Heron, Squacco Heron, Kentish Plover, Moustached Warbler,Garganey, Nightingale, Great Reed Warbler, Purple Heron

Boquer Valley;

Wrynecks, Turtle Dove, Woodchat Shrike, Black Vulture, Balearic Warblers, Pied Flycatchers, Blue Rock Thrush and a big movement of Redstart through the valley for the last couple of days.

Attachments

• mallorca 2015 226.jpg
    mallorca 2015 226.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 111
  • mallorca 2015 055.jpg
    mallorca 2015 055.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 165
  • mallorca 2015 312.jpg
    mallorca 2015 312.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 128
Well done Gus and thanks for posting. Some great birds there. Mike

Thanks Mike, hopefully you are on the mend and we get a chance to meet on my next visit.
Looking through my notebook I also had a male Montagu's Harrier on sat. 19th September at Albufera, early in the morning. Same morning I had my best ever views of a very confiding Nightingale there too.
The apartment we were staying in wasn't far from the Boquer Valley and we had Stone-curlew, Eleanora's Falcon, Audouin's Gull, Black Vulture, Yellow Wagtail and plenty more while sitting having a beer from the balcony...quite a nice way to bird !

Attachments

• mallorca 2015 347.jpg
    mallorca 2015 347.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 144
  • mallorca 2015 060.jpg
    mallorca 2015 060.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 145
  • mallorcan holiday pics 019.jpg
    mallorcan holiday pics 019.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 122
Little Bittern

Just back from a fortnight based in Puerto Pollenca. Had 122 species of birds and a couple I couldn't ID.
Highlights of the holiday include the following.

Mortitx in Tramuntana mountains;

Black Vulture,Griffon Vulture, Crossbill, Wryneck, Bonelli's Eagle (pair) and around 15-20 Eleanora's Falcons over the vineyard and surrounding trees..with a Hobby there too.

Deporadora (sewage farm);

2 Flamingoes, Avocets, Woodchat Shrike, Water Pipit, Hoopoe, Hobby, Booted Eagle, Black-winged Stilt, Wood sandpiper (4)

Albufereta reserve;

Tawny Pipit, Great White Egret, Woodchat Shrike, Osprey, Purple Heron, Glossy Ibis.

Albufera reserve;

Flamingo, Osprey, Caspian Terns, Marbled duck, Red-crested Pochard, Stone-Curlew, Turnstone, Whimbrel, Night Heron, Squacco Heron, Kentish Plover, Moustached Warbler,Garganey, Nightingale, Great Reed Warbler, Purple Heron

Boquer Valley;

Wrynecks, Turtle Dove, Woodchat Shrike, Black Vulture, Balearic Warblers, Pied Flycatchers, Blue Rock Thrush and a big movement of Redstart through the valley for the last couple of days.

Where was the Little Bittern you showed us in Albufera??

Did see it fly past 2 days later

Visit to Dragonera

Warm day visit

Slightly disppointed as numbers of Elenoras was low; maybe a little early

Wonderful wall lizards( Lilfords)

Birds seen included:

- Eleonoras Falcons
- Booted Eagles
- Sardinian Warblers
- Willow Warblers
- Black and Common Redstarts
- Audoins Gulls
- Yellow legged Gulls

Warm day visit
Slightly disppointed as numbers of Elenoras was low; maybe a little early
Wonderful wall lizards (Lilfords)

I think it's a wonderful place. You are virtually attacked by the local lizards as soon as you land. I managed to stay there for one night on two separate occasions.
My particular highlight was collecting and later describing a species of geometrid moth known only from there - until a few years ago when I also trapped it on Cabrera. I'm sure that it will also be found one day in some remote, undeveloped, part of coastal Mallorca.
I arrive on the island for 25 days on Monday and am really looking forward to it.
Martin

Where was the Little Bittern you showed us in Albufera??

Did see it fly past 2 days later

Hi Mike, it was nice to meet up with you both. I saw it in the same place twice during my visit to the reserve.
I also had a Great Reed Warbler not far from there too and several Moustached Warblers feeding in the reeds from the main bridge over the canal.
well worth getting up early to see.

Awesome lizards

I think it's a wonderful place. You are virtually attacked by the local lizards as soon as you land. I managed to stay there for one night on two separate occasions.
My particular highlight was collecting and later describing a species of geometrid moth known only from there - until a few years ago when I also trapped it on Cabrera. I'm sure that it will also be found one day in some remote, undeveloped, part of coastal Mallorca.
I arrive on the island for 25 days on Monday and am really looking forward to it.
Martin

LOL

I dropped my sandwich and immediately it was consumed!

A wonderful Island indeed!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back