• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

Hi Rob, I think you should hit it about right for migration. Many migrants have been held up by the cold north winds but I think it's due to swing round to southerlies over the weekend and therefore many more birds will be arriving. Good luck and do post here what you see. Thanks, Mike

Hi!
Some Willow Warblers this morning at la Gola, together with Chiffchaff.
4 Common Swift, House Martins and Barn Swallows.
The Great White Egret is still here.

There were 4 Flamingos at s'Albufereta Reserve and a Woodchat Shrike was seen at Bóquer Valley two days ago.

Regards,
Cristina.

Moth

Not a bird but it's superb.
Chinese Oak Silkmoth found near la Gola.

Regards.

Attachments

• Antheraea pernyi.jpg
    Antheraea pernyi.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 71
Hello again from sunny Northampton (first springlike day for some time). We fly out tomorrow from Heathrow and will be at the PoPark from about 1700 if all goes well. I will try and give a daily update on what I see for the next fortnight, and look forward to meeting the staff at La Gola any other birders who happen to be around. I will also be out in the evenings to see if I can track down the next reliable Scops Owl site in Port de Pollenca, after the apparent demise of the 2010-2014 site. Best wishes- Hugh Matthews

Things are hotting up with a few Marsh Harrier through at the tower Albercutx, a singing Sub-alpine Warbler at Albufereta, a Sparrowhawk, a Ferruginous duck and Lesser Black-backed Gull at Maristany. Mike

Late news of a Spotted Crake at Albufereta late Wednesday afternoon. It was just to the left of the new tower hide.
Speaking to some birders who were here in the 1980's, they were telling me that Spotted Crakes were more numerous then whereas these days I hardly ever hear of them. Shame, the habitat is perfect for them and I can't see why there are not more here.
Also, the pine wood there holds good numbers of Willow Warblers at the moment and there were seven Spotless Starlings at Can Curassa on Wednesday too. Lots of Yellow Wagtails also in, all were the Iberian race. Mike

Superb moth La Gola! I think Martin posted on here where they can be found on the island but it would be good to have an update. Mike
Hi Mike
Yes, quite a spectacular moth, especially when you see one flying towards you at a moth trap!.
As far as breeding is concerned it can occur wherever Holm Oak grows as that is the most likely foodplant for the larvae (they may also feed on other oaks that grow in Mallorca), so mainly in the Tramuntana.
As far as adult records are concerned, they have all been mapped in the attached document - a recent paper by three very competent locals, all of whom I know.
Best wishes (from a brief birding break in Norfolk)
Martin

Attachments

• Pinya et al Distribution and status of A. pernyi.pdf
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 43
Hello Mike and all

Really found this thread useful last year.....well, a year has flown by and I am coming out again for a week from 4 April so great to get feel of what's around this year. Will be based Llenaire side of Pto Pollensa so will be mainly doing Bocquer Valley, Albufereta and Albufera and will post what I see thats of note - really looking forward to it and who knows, hope I may may even run into some of you in the field!
Chris

A nice morning spent at the tower, Albercutx. It was fairly quiet with one Black kite and a few migrant Marsh Harrier and Kestrel. Also the Alpine Accentor came within six feet offering fantastic close-ups. It will depart shortly I am sure but it has provided great entertainment for the past few weeks. Mike

Thank you Martin for the comprehensive information as usual. I will keep an eye out for them around the Holm Oaks. Hope you enjoyed Norfolk, one of my favorite locations. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back