• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

A Rose-coloured Starling has been found by Pere on Cabrera. I hope he posts a photo.
I have long expected one to turn up sometime.
I often watch half a million or so common Starling and think to myself, “there must be one in there somewhere”. There never is of course but it’s nice one has turned up, typically alone. Mike

Interesting to see that Dunnocks are still around, I thought they would have long gone by now.

Hi Patrick,

I will be out from Monday next week, and dunnock is a glaring hole in my Mallorca list! Any tips on where you're seeing them?

Stew

Hi all,

As mentioned above, I will be out again next week, based in Puerto Pollenca. Last year I posted a brief paper on dragonflies and damselflies in Mallorca, but forgive me if I post it again, attached here. I'd be very interested in any records that can add to those researched in the paper.

Also, I'm really looking forward to catching up with Mike M, and searching for another of my Mallorca bogey birds - Dartford warbler!

Stew

Attachments

• Final -Some notes on the Dragonflies and Damselflies of Mallorca (v5).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
Hi all,

As mentioned above, I will be out again next week, based in Puerto Pollenca. Last year I posted a brief paper on dragonflies and damselflies in Mallorca, but forgive me if I post it again, attached here. I'd be very interested in any records that can add to those researched in the paper

Brill..I will keep my eyes open

I have started looking at the Butterflies of Mallorca and have not found many publications even spoke to Matt Rowlings

http://www.eurobutterflies.com/index.php

Little info out there.

Menorca info available

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_butterflies_of_Menorca

So if you have time Stew, start looking at the Butterflies

Cheers

Mike

Visit to San Joan and Maria de le Salut to check out the Quails, Red footed Falcons and Turtle Doves in Es Blanquer.

Cloudy wet afternoon maybe dampened the spirit.

Birds seen included: Common Kestrel, Booted Eagle, Marsh Harrier, Stone Curlews, Hoopoe, Thekla and Short toed Larks, Fan tailed warblers, Woodchat Shrikes, Corn bunting, Nightingales, Greenfinches, Willow warblers, Blackcaps. So many Stonechats , Spotted Flycatchers and Serins.

No sign of RF Falcons or Quail. Three Turtle Doves heard and seen at San Joan.

Mike

Back home now after two weeks in Mallorca. Best event was a Raven mobbing a Black Vulture!

Went to Albercutz on Friday 25th, but it was very windy. Just four Red Kites and a Booted Eagle. But on our way down to the bus stop we briefly came across a long, thin warbler. Pale brown-grey above, and white/pale below; otherwise no distinguishing markings. Having looked in books in more detail now I'm home, Western Orphean Warbler looks the best fit - is that possible/likely?

Hi Patrick,

I will be out from Monday next week, and dunnock is a glaring hole in my Mallorca list! Any tips on where you're seeing them?

Stew

Hi Stew, I would not know where to find Dunnocks at this time of year. Refer to post 620 for recent location.

Back home now after two weeks in Mallorca. Best event was a Raven mobbing a Black Vulture!

Went to Albercutz on Friday 25th, but it was very windy. Just four Red Kites and a Booted Eagle. But on our way down to the bus stop we briefly came across a long, thin warbler. Pale brown-grey above, and white/pale below; otherwise no distinguishing markings. Having looked in books in more detail now I'm home, Western Orphean Warbler looks the best fit - is that possible/likely?

Hi Pancho, Having checked the last 3 years records, a couple of Orphean warbler have been caught each year in ringers nets in Menorca, Illa de l’Aire, typically end of April or early May. No specific record in Mallorca where it is tagged as rare on passage.

I have started looking at the Butterflies of Mallorca and have not found many publications even spoke to Matt Rowlings
Little info out there.
Menorca info available
Cheers
Mike

Hi
Although I research mainly moths, I have maintained a passing interest in the butterflies of the Balearic Islands (just for completeness in terms of the Lepidoptera).
There is information on the butterflies but it scattered and my list contains a few 'questions' that still need to be answered and people's views on the distribution within the islands does vary.
There is a booklet, produced by Guillem Pons and published in 2000: Les papallones diurnes de les balears., Series: Quaderns de natura de les Balears 87pp. ill. col. Edicions Documenta Balear, Palma de Mallorca.
From memory, there are 46 species reported from the Balearic Islands although some of these may be erroneus. I have a full list of the species.
Martin

Hi all,

Little info out there.

Menorca info available

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

I've not put too much effort into butterflies (Mallorca or UK!), but I do have the attached list, which I think was posted on the Forum by Martin some time ago (sorry if I'm doing you a disservice Martin).

Although I don't chase a butterfly list, Mike M and I saw several Two-tailed Paschas at Son Real last year - they were pretty impressive!

Stew

Attachments

• Mallorca Butterflies.docx
    13.4 KB · Views: 41

Pancho, I think you would’ve definitely have noticed the black head and mask if it was an Orphean Warbler, what about Garden Warbler? Or even the Balearic version of Spotted Flycatcher (should be called Un-spotted in my view!)?
Cheers
Richard

Pancho, I think you would’ve definitely have noticed the black head and mask if it was an Orphean Warbler, what about Garden Warbler? Or even the Balearic version of Spotted Flycatcher (should be called Un-spotted in my view!)?
Cheers
Richard

Apologies to all ... must be jet lag!

I meant to type Olivaceous ... not Orphean.

Hi Mike,
I've not put too much effort into butterflies (Mallorca or UK!), but I do have the attached list, which I think was posted on the Forum by Martin some time ago (sorry if I'm doing you a disservice Martin).
Stew

Hi Stew
That might be a list I put together but I don't think so (at least I hope not). There are some typos and it's actually missing a few species.
I'll try to post a more complete list soon (it will give me something to do whilst sitting out the rain here).
Martin

Hi Stew
That might be a list I put together but I don't think so (at least I hope not). There are some typos and it's actually missing a few species.
I'll try to post a more complete list soon (it will give me something to do whilst sitting out the rain here).
Martin

Here's an up-dated list. If anyone knows of any other species, I'd be happy to hear from them (as with any moth records).

Martin

Attachments

• Mallorcan Butterflies.docx
    19 KB · Views: 52
Butterflies

Hello,
regarding to butterflies I usually use this guidebook:
"Petita guia de les papallones diurnes de Mallorca"
Although it is from 2014 I think is quite useful and it has a list at last page.

Regards,
Cristina.

Attachments

• 25_06_1014_23_02petita_guia.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 275
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back