• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name a Bird You've Photographed (4 Viewers)

3545. Grey Fantail, Rhipidura albiscapa
Stirling Range National Park--Moingup Springs Campground, Gnowangerup, Western Australia
September 2018

Attachments

• GRWA DSCN6754.JPG
    GRWA DSCN6754.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 3
I don't have any more fantails, but here's a wagtail:
3547. Cape Wagtail, Motacilla capensis
Bwindi, Uganda 2022

Attachments

• P1170227.JPG
    P1170227.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • P1170223.JPG
    P1170223.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
Just over 2 months in and we're not far off a third of the world's total species. I find myself wondering how long it took the Opus editors to get to having photos of a third of the world's species via the means of asking nicely rather than making a game of it.
I can't go back to the beginning, as that was the previous Database and I didn't have anything to do with that.

Opus started with 10,354 species of which we had 7,772 images.

Last October, the last date those stats were updated (and the last Clements update is still being worked through) we had 10,901 bird species listed, of which 8860 currently have an image taken or produced by our members.

I'm hoping to revise the stats for next month. Still working through Mark Harper's Gallery as he's been adding quite a few lately (just did 3 over the last couple of days).

I always ask nicely, even if they are in this thread (which was absolutely nothing to do with me) - don't I Paul and Jeff. I was late starting, but began at the beginning of the thread - had to stop for a while as got busy with other stuff too. But will pick it up again later on.

If anyone really doesn't want their picture to be included on the relevant Opus article, you just have to say and I won't bother you.

I have no proper fantails left and I only have one wagtail left but there are lots of "tail" tangents. Nevertheless, also called Fantail...

3549. Yellow-bellied Fantail Chelidorhynx hypoxanthus Thailand

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240516_194838_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240516_194838_Chrome~2.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Clements calls the last fantail a fairy-fantail, so I go with the fairy bit to get this in:
3450. Sternula nereis, Fairy Tern (IOC), Australian Fairy Tern (Clements), Sternula nereis
This is the New Zealand subspecies, one of 40 or so alive in 2018 when we saw this one.

Attachments

• DSCN7859.JPG
    DSCN7859.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
Another tern:-

3553. White-cheeked Tern Sterna repressa Kuwait

And as I had the folder open an already played Bridled Tern pic from the same pelagic off Kuwait.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 076.JPG
    076.JPG
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 078.JPG
    078.JPG
    480.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 080.JPG
    080.JPG
    323.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 115.JPG
    115.JPG
    369.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I'm not sure I have more terns, but the same family includes gulls:
3456. Western Gull, Larus occidentalis, Oregon December 2016

Attachments

• WEGU IMG_8851.JPG
    WEGU IMG_8851.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 0
One of the commonest unplayed European species so back to my patch........

3557. Great Black-backed Gull Larus marinus Somerset, England

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Great Black-backed Gull 003.jpg
    Great Black-backed Gull 003.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I always ask nicely, even if they are in this thread (which was absolutely nothing to do with me) - don't I Paul and Jeff. I was late starting, but began at the beginning of the thread - had to stop for a while as got busy with other stuff too. But will pick it up again later on.
You always ask nicely. And of course I'm always willing to have a pic added to Opus.

In fact, the pictures that I tend to put in the gallery are ones that are not in Opus or are very uncommon for that very reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back