• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name a Bird You've Seen 2 (3 Viewers)

A couple of missing berrypeckers:

Satin Berrypecker, newly described

Spotted was split into Spotted BP (PNG) and Thick-billed Berrypecker (West Papua), not sure which one was taken before (number 8795) but I see that user dandsblair has also played Long-tailed Paradigalla which is in the range of Thick-billed BP in the Arfaks, so maybe that one.

A couple of missing berrypeckers:

Satin Berrypecker, newly described

Spotted was split into Spotted BP (PNG) and Thick-billed Berrypecker (West Papua), not sure which one was taken before (number 8795) but I see that user dandsblair has also played Long-tailed Paradigalla which is in the range of Thick-billed BP in the Arfaks, so maybe that one.
Thanks. I'll get those sorted. Generally if it's not obvious which has been played and the original player is still active on this thread I just ask (over to you @dandsblair )

The rule of thumb with splits and lumps is that Will built the spreadsheet in late 2020 using the then-current IOC spreadsheet and when I picked it up in March 2023 I made a token effort at updating for splits and lumps that had happened in that period but rapidly got bored. So anything split lumped or renamed in 2021 or 2022 is quite likely to be wrong. For lumps it doesn't matter in most cases because we decided early on that we could keep both if they'd both been played, and it's easy to deal with if one had been played and one not.

There's also been a flurry of new IOC announcements which I think I'm up to date with, but the IOC Diary thread has been caught up in the argument about the topic which is gradually taking over the forum and must not be named for fear of summoning it so it's possible I may have missed some. I'll check against the actual IOC species updates when I get more time but I'm aware I'm behind on the last day or so of game play which is more urgent.

Thanks. I'll get those sorted. Generally if it's not obvious which has been played and the original player is still active on this thread I just ask (over to you @dandsblair )

The rule of thumb with splits and lumps is that Will built the spreadsheet in late 2020 using the then-current IOC spreadsheet and when I picked it up in March 2023 I made a token effort at updating for splits and lumps that had happened in that period but rapidly got bored. So anything split lumped or renamed in 2021 or 2022 is quite likely to be wrong. For lumps it doesn't matter in most cases because we decided early on that we could keep both if they'd both been played, and it's easy to deal with if one had been played and one not.
I have seen both, one in PNG and the other in West Papua.
So lets now add #9491 Thick-billed Berrypecker

A few more changes:

Split:
Russet-backed Jungle Flycatcher has been split into two species:
Flores Jungle Flycatcher
Sumba Jungle Flycatcher

Lumps:
Landana Firefinch has been lumped into African Firefinch
Abbott's Sunbird is lumped with Souimanga Sunbird

Different name:
Streak-breasted Jungle Flycatcher = Buru Jungle Flycatcher
Short-tailed Finch = Boulder Finch