• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name a Bird You've Seen 2 (3 Viewers)

8460 Blanford's Lark, another near-endemic
8461 Black-legged Dacnis

OK, this one took me a lot of work to link. The generic names of each species derive from an Ancient Greek bird name. Calandrella derives from Καλάνδρος, the Ancient Greek name for the Calandra Lark. Dacnis derives from the Ancient Greek Δάκνις which was a bird found in Egypt during ancient times.

Wikipedia is your friend :cool:

8461 Black-legged Dacnis

OK, this one took me a lot of work to link. The generic names of each species derive from an Ancient Greek bird name. Calandrella derives from Καλάνδρος, the Ancient Greek name for the Calandra Lark. Dacnis derives from the Ancient Greek Δάκνις which was a bird found in Egypt during ancient times.

You could have gone for 'birds beginning with Bla-' 🤩

8461 Black-legged Dacnis

8462 Viridian Dacnis

A lot less work for me

May I say that I think that some of these links are getting a bit tenuous? I would have done White-throated Grasswren here, which even looks like White-throated Babbler, but now it's too late.

May I say that I think that some of these links are getting a bit tenuous? I would have done White-throated Grasswren here, which even looks like White-throated Babbler, but now it's too late.
Oh, we're way past tenuous. :p

Out of curiosity, MacBirdie, did you have something more obvious to play, such as something with "white" or "neck" or another babbler?

My problem is that I only have four more to play, we don't have many people left, and much of the game now seems to be going on while I'm asleep. So I have limited options to participate anymore.

And frankly, I wish you had played the grasswren, because I have something to play from that one.

Oh, we're way past tenuous. :p

My problem is that I only have four more to play, we don't have many people left, and much of the game now seems to be going on while I'm asleep. So I have limited options to participate anymore.

And frankly, I wish you had played the grasswren, because I have something to play from that one.
Since we are in tenuous mode, why not continue the white theme and post the Grasswren?

I'm dying to play something here that could be linked to chips, but I just don't have anything. Have all the birds with 'chocolate' in their name been played already?
No birds with "Chili and Lime" or "Cool Ranch" either. Maybe a doradito? 🙃

Since we are in tenuous mode, why not continue the white theme and post the Grasswren?

If everyone is good with that, proceed Arbu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back