• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new binocular wishes 2023 (1 Viewer)

Plus:

Zeiss SFL30

Lee
I have watched a review on Youtube on the Zeiss SFL , I was interested in the 10x30 however it does not have a locking diopter ring. For an expensive Zeiss product, them skimping on a non-locking diopter to me is unacceptable. If Kowa can do it with their Genesis 8x33 which I own at less cost with same optical quality, why cannot Zeiss?. It seems like some Zeiss models and the Leica trinovid have fallen in build and optical quality . Removing the center diopter on the focus wheel and complaints about the optical quality view on the new trinovids as subpar they cannot even give you a decent binocular case instead they give you a bag. While keeping the prices high. I had some excitment about the new Zeiss SFL but I will stick with my Kowa Genesis 8x33 an overlooked gem of a binocular.

A top-quality 9 X 45 has always been my wish: 5mm exit pupil, more magnification than an 8X, and not quite as heavy and bulky as a 10 X 50.
Swift Audubons 8.5x44 , been around for a long time. Phenomenally good optics , ridiculously low prices, and nice clean ones are regularly available on the used market. I’ve been having a blast embarrassing people with thousand dollar binoculars with these baby’s. If I had bought these first I probably wouldn’t have a half a dozen thousand dollar binoculars.

Attachments

• 39B4C5B2-E7B5-47D0-91DC-D504F881AE11.jpg
    39B4C5B2-E7B5-47D0-91DC-D504F881AE11.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 24
  • E8205AEB-39FB-4F1E-AD9B-CFF68F1E7144.jpg
    E8205AEB-39FB-4F1E-AD9B-CFF68F1E7144.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DD9788B6-38DE-42D7-9D0B-853D78141352.jpg
    DD9788B6-38DE-42D7-9D0B-853D78141352.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 24
Swift Audubons 8.5x44 , been around for a long time. Phenomenally good optics , ridiculously low prices, and nice clean ones are regularly available on the used market. I’ve been having a blast embarrassing people with thousand dollar binoculars with these baby’s. If I had bought these first I probably wouldn’t have a half a dozen thousand dollar binoculars.
Yep, they are soo good. I have two of them 8.5x44 and 10x50. Porro’s…. Nice, the ones with the red band are ED’s if I’m not mistaken?

Yep, they are soo good. I have two of them 8.5x44 and 10x50. Porro’s…. Nice, the ones with the red band are ED’s if I’m not mistaken?
Yes those were the last FMC ED version (804/HR5) in that conventional porro body before the newer water proof rubberized 820 version came out. Those were available in ED and non ED and were the last of the swift Audubons. Wether ED FMC or not, even the MC non ED is phenomenal.

Pic #1 820ED
Pic #2 804R MC, 804/HR5 FMC ED and 820 FMC ED.

Attachments

• 04EF273F-38C0-439C-AE73-42B842C46292.jpg
    04EF273F-38C0-439C-AE73-42B842C46292.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 15BEC2FC-87AC-4D31-AB24-88A828C5E469.jpg
    15BEC2FC-87AC-4D31-AB24-88A828C5E469.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 15
Yes those were the last FMC ED version (804/HR5) in that conventional porro body before the newer water proof rubberized 820 I version came out. Those were available in ED and non ED and were the last of the swift Audubons. Wether ED FMC or not, even the MC non ED is phenomenal.
I fully agree with you, they are phenomenal binoculars. Have the 10x50 FMC for more then 20 years, still use it a lot. Bought a second one last year (MC) as backup. Couldn’tsee much of a difference In the two. Unfortunately it had fungus, you couldn’t see it when looking through them but i was afraid that it would contaminate my other non sealed Porro’s so i gave them to my brother and he is very happy with them.

Yes those were the last FMC ED version (804/HR5) in that conventional porro body before the newer water proof rubberized 820 version came out. Those were available in ED and non ED and were the last of the swift Audubons. Wether ED FMC or not, even the MC non ED is phenomenal.

Pic #1 820ED
Pic #2 804R MC, 804/HR5 FMC ED and 820 FMC ED.
How do they compare, the 820 ED vs the 804’s?

How do they compare, the 820 ED vs the 804’s?
Good question, which I’m waiting to find out myself. When I received from the seller a few weeks ago they were terribly out of collimation. Ill have them back in a few weeks. I will say there’s not much difference in any of the 804R/HR5’s other than a littler different perceived color and a little better CA control on the ED. But I do notice the sweet spot is a littler smaller and noticeable on the ED.

It seems like some Zeiss models and the Leica trinovid have fallen in build and optical quality .
@catmouse - while I agree that the Genesis 8x33 is a solid binocular and among a growing group of high-performing optics attempting to establish themselves as a less expensive alternative to offerings from the Big 3, would you please elaborate on precisely which Zeiss models (other than the Terra) have fallen in build and optical quality?

BTW - I have an 8x40 SFL and see zero issues with build quality, a 30mm version should have similar pedigree.

I had forgotten about those! I had a friend years ago who had a pair and I always did like them.

Leica Retrovid 7x42 with a wide FOV, 2 meter close-focus distance, nitrogen purged (waterproof), Ziess SF-size focusing wheel, and no armoring. Wt. 24 oz. or less.
Put me on the Advanced Order List if this comes to pass. In fact, put me in for 2 orders.

Last edited:
I would like to see a new high quality porro offering, center focus in the 6.5x, 8x, 10x flavors from any good manufacturer. I asked Vortex about building something like this and they pretty much said that the market would not support it, and that it goes against their biz model of making tough and durable optics.
We did see the introduction of the Obie 8x, 10 and 12x SE porros. Haven't seen any of them but the reviews from owners have been very good.

APM introduced the 6x30 MS. Good reviews there, too. The APM 8x30 ED never materalilzed.

Brock

It's the Kahles Helia S 8x42 (Kahles is owned by Swarovski).
Have you tried one? They do look similar, and Kahless is a subsidary of Swarovski.

The focus close focus is 10.5 ft, not 6 ft like the original SLC HD. But the 8x42 EDG II had a 9.8 ft close focus, and that didn't bother me in most situations, but I do like the 6.8 ft. close focus on the 8x32 EDG better.

WHY did Kahles put those orange stripes down the barrels? They were made for hunters. In case they put them down when they went for the rifle, so they could find them in the grass?

I don't see any mention of HD/ED glass on Kahless' descripotion.

Finally, what about the focuser? Is it the usual "two-tone" Swaro focuser that turns easy in one directon and harder/rachety in the other?

Brock

My wish is for 2023 is a new top line Alpha from Nikon. Either a revamped and improved EDG II, or a new design improving on the EDG II.

And I'll bet you $10 to a donut that one or the other happens before the end of 2023.
After that 90% loss in revenue from its DSLRs, I'm doubtful but hopeful.

Nikon 8x42 EDG III

BODY: Open bridge design but with beveled edges around the edges not sharp like the original model.
No bumps on the end of the barrels.
No strap objective covers like Bushwackers.
Objective covers that actually fit.
Excellent baffling like the EDG II.
No shiny plastic on the bridge, it looks cheap.
Make the bridge flat like the EDG I, not "V" shaped like the EDG II.
Make the bridge thinner if possible to allow more space for the fingers to wrap around inside the open bridge.
Thumb indents like on the EDG I, not ridges like the EDG II.

FOCUSER: Same as the 8x42 EDG II (don't mess with perfection!).

CLOSE FOCUS: 6.8 ft like the 8x32 model

FOV: 8.1*

WEIGHT: Lighten the weight to 24 oz.

GLASS: Hakari's latest glass like on the 2017+ E2s and ED glass.
Sharp edges but NO FIELD FLATTERS. It makes the view 2 D.
Keep the same amount of pincushion but get rid of the "Nippon Ring" at 75% out (astigmatism?)

COATINGS: Flat spectrum like the EDG II but even better like the 2017+ E2.

ARMORING: Harder and more robust armoring that doesn't bubble from heat exposure and fade the color. Use better glue.

COLOR: Forgot basic black. Everybody has black or green armor. Make them gray to match my hair :) . My EDG II turned gray from the sun in Phoenix where the original owner lived, so why not make them gray to begin with?

EYECUPS: They are good as they are.

EP TUBES: The EP tubes were crooked on my sample and one side's click stops were less secure than the other. Make the stops firm, so they don't collapse. Also, don't make them sliver, make them black.

Send me the protoype, so I can make suggestions before they go into production. :cool:

Brock

Attachments

• C0D1D001-2411-4D77-A743-03559C22E8D0.jpeg
    C0D1D001-2411-4D77-A743-03559C22E8D0.jpeg
    498.3 KB · Views: 11
  • A8BF5868-772B-43BD-A583-3C78E43F8160.jpeg
    A8BF5868-772B-43BD-A583-3C78E43F8160.jpeg
    522.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Having the Nikon 2022 Japan catalog here, the 42mm EDG and E2's are going strong and in current production. They seem to have taken a pre-Colonial, insular attitude on these....content to sell them to their fellow Japanese and not caring too much about what outsiders think. We are welcome to purchase the binoculars if we want, with a simple DHL air shipping fee of about $50, I can almost hear them asking, "what else do you want from us?" :D

I drink Japanese green tea every day, it's the best, it's not easy to find in the USA, sometimes you have to overcome a little inconvenience to get the best stuff. IMO the EDG are already a good value at US$1400-1500 and appeal to observers who don't prefer ultra-wide field designs. It would only take a couple small tweaks to get them among the very best of today....like some of the tech they used in the WX. In many ways they're already the best.
What else we want are the 8x32 and 10x32 models back! If they suffered from severe veiling glare like the 8x32 EL, I could see why you would drop them but they don't. Updated to the EDG III specs I made in my post on the 8x42 EDG III (which includes flat spectrum coatings, which the 42s have but 32s don't), but without the open bridge, which would make the binoculars too long plus widen the skimpy FOV to 8.3*. To make enough room for my fingers to wrap around both barrels, you will need to shrink the focuser/bridge like the Swaro CL while still maintaining the ultra smooth focusing. Good Luck!

Brock

Attachments

• 5EE07D5D-5836-4F46-9A33-C18F62B1974F.jpeg
    5EE07D5D-5836-4F46-9A33-C18F62B1974F.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 774DFA61-C503-4C74-BB39-7F3CD6362B88.jpeg
    774DFA61-C503-4C74-BB39-7F3CD6362B88.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hi,

regarding the 7x35 retrovid in rubber - my source at Leica does not work there any more... but back in the days when the retrovids came out without Uppendahl prisms or the rubber versions, he still was there. And he told me that they had been nixed - not just delayed.

We'll see in a few years ;-)

Joachim
As I suggested on another thread, it would great if Leica made rubber armoring sleeve to put over the bare metal objective housings of the Retrovids, which from looking at photos of old 7x35 Bs, seems to be the area that gets knicked and dented the most.

Sort of a "bra" like they make for some automobiles to protect them from pebbles and other debris that fly up from the road under the wheels of the vehicle in front of you. Speaking of which... once when I was working as communications supervisors for a large corporation in NJ I was coming back from their office in Philly in a company car (which had been used by the president of the corproration, a Chevy Caprice). Someone had dropped a square of plywood on the Schuylkill Expressway, and a truck in front of me with double wheels picked it up and it came flying at the car. There was no berm and cars were back to back in the fast lane, so I slowed down and turned slightly to the left so it didn't hit the driver's side since it was coming right for the windshield, and it hit the right headlight and took it completely! When I brought the car back to "The Grump" who was in charge of the car pool (and also the mail room), he chastised me for not avoiding the wood instead of being glad that it didn't Schuylkill me! Ugh.

On that some trip on my way down to Philly, I got a ticket for driving over the speed limit (even though I saw a car pass me in the fast lane at about 70 mph as I was pulled over for going 61. The needle on the speedometer of the company car jumped back and forth on the dial about 10 mph, so I thought I was going 51 mph, which was under the 55 mph speed limit. Seemed like I was keep pace with the other cars in the slow lane. So I had to tell "The Grump" about that too. He just grumbled. The company reimbursed me for the fine, but I got the points on my license. (excerpted from my upccoming memoir, "Tales from the Corporate Crypt"). :)

Brock

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back