• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new binocular wishes 2023 (1 Viewer)

I have watched a review on Youtube on the Zeiss SFL , I was interested in the 10x30 however it does not have a locking diopter ring. For an expensive Zeiss product, them skimping on a non-locking diopter to me is unacceptable. If Kowa can do it with their Genesis 8x33 which I own at less cost with same optical quality, why cannot Zeiss?. It seems like some Zeiss models and the Leica trinovid have fallen in build and optical quality . Removing the center diopter on the focus wheel and complaints about the optical quality view on the new trinovids as subpar they cannot even give you a decent binocular case instead they give you a bag. While keeping the prices high. I had some excitment about the new Zeiss SFL but I will stick with my Kowa Genesis 8x33 an overlooked gem of a binocular.
From reviews I've read, the SFL's diopter stays put despite not being lockable. However, you make a good point since both the Kowa and SFL are made in Japan, which lowers the cost of production vs. MIG.

Brock

I have watched a review on Youtube on the Zeiss SFL , I was interested in the 10x30 however it does not have a locking diopter ring. For an expensive Zeiss product, them skimping on a non-locking diopter to me is unacceptable. If Kowa can do it with their Genesis 8x33 which I own at less cost with same optical quality, why cannot Zeiss?. It seems like some Zeiss models and the Leica trinovid have fallen in build and optical quality . Removing the center diopter on the focus wheel and complaints about the optical quality view on the new trinovids as subpar they cannot even give you a decent binocular case instead they give you a bag. While keeping the prices high. I had some excitment about the new Zeiss SFL but I will stick with my Kowa Genesis 8x33 an overlooked gem of a binocular.
Exactly, and that’s only one of the corners cut on the SFL. But it’s a nice pair of binoculars at $1000-$1200 😝.

As I suggested on another thread, it would great if Leica made rubber armoring sleeve to put over the bare metal objective housings of the Retrovids, which from looking at photos of old 7x35 Bs, seems to be the area that gets knicked and dented the most.
This you can easily do yourself by using an old inner tube of a bicycle . But i dont know if there are bicycles in the USA 😂

A top-quality 9 X 45 has always been my wish: 5mm exit pupil, more magnification than an 8X, and not quite as heavy and bulky as a 10 X 50.
How about an 820 Swift 8.5x44 Audubon? Swift also makes an black body ED version. Bulky compared to roofs but not heavy. The ergonomics fit my hands well, but not the eyecups, which feel like cookie cutters compared the previous 804 model, which had smaller diameter rubber eyecups.

I was down at Fisherman's Paradise in Bellefonte, PA, on Thursday and saw some "soloflyfishers." One told me where the best place was to see Ospreys, which visit Spring Creek in April and Sept. He didn't steer me wrong. I went around the fishery, which is now closed to the public due to a snail that's infected the fishery, so I had to go around the trail that hugs the fence line.

I came upon a goose on her nest, so I didn't go to the end of the peninsula, but almost immediately spotted two eagles, followed by two red-tailed hawks (being harrased by a crow, of course), and about 15 minutes later, I saw my first Osprey. Amazing. I had my 8x32 EDG with me, and it brought out amazing detail considering how high they were. The Osprey came the lowest out of the three BOP, so I got to see a lot of feather detail.

The fishery produces the most brown trout in the state, but ironcially, the stream is polluted with PCBs from a chemical spill that happened a couple years they were banned in 1979. So, it's "catch and release." Not sure why the fish and Osprey can take the PCBs, but they cause severe health risks for humans. When a trout dies, the workers leave it out for the eagles, and I've seen the female come down and grab it.

Here are photos of the trout in the fishery and the eagles' nest, which looks like a huge pineapple hanging from the tree.

Brock

Attachments

• EC8558B2-44CC-427C-8444-1909E19B0853.jpeg
    EC8558B2-44CC-427C-8444-1909E19B0853.jpeg
    492.9 KB · Views: 15
  • E3B72DC4-64AC-4864-B716-B1202D0C56DB.jpeg
    E3B72DC4-64AC-4864-B716-B1202D0C56DB.jpeg
    557 KB · Views: 15
A top-quality 9 X 45 has always been my wish: 5mm exit pupil, more magnification than an 8X, and not quite as heavy and bulky as a 10 X 50.
How about an 820 Swift 8.5x44 Audubon? Swift also makes an black body ED version. Bulky compared to roofs but not heavy. The ergonomics fit my hands well, but not the eyecups, which feel like cookie cutters compared the previous 804 model, which had smaller diamter rubber eyecups.

I was down at Fisherman's Paradise in Bellefonte, PA, on Thursday and say some "soloflyfishers." One told me where to see Ospreys. He didn't steer me wrong. I went around the fishery, which is now closed to the public due to a snail that's infected the fishery, so I had to go around the trail that hugs the fence line.

I came upon a goose on her nest, so I didn't go to the end of the peninsula, but almost immediately spotted two eagles, followed by two red-tailed hawks (being harrased by a crow, of course), and about 15 minutes later, I saw my first Osprey. Amazing. I had my 8x32 EDG with me, and it brought out amazing detail considering how high they were. The Osprey came the lowest out of the three BOP, so I got to see a lot of feather detail.

The fishery produces the most brown trout in the state, but ironcially, the stream is polluted with PCBs from a chemical spill that happened a couple years they were banned in 1979. So, it's "catch and release." Not sure why the fish and Osprey can take the PCBs, but they cause severe health risks for humans.

Brock

Attachments

• 0002B1F8-5217-43D2-9F29-08A43FCC299D.jpeg
    0002B1F8-5217-43D2-9F29-08A43FCC299D.jpeg
    526.2 KB · Views: 10
  • E3B72DC4-64AC-4864-B716-B1202D0C56DB.jpeg
    E3B72DC4-64AC-4864-B716-B1202D0C56DB.jpeg
    557 KB · Views: 10
I fully agree with you, they are phenomenal binoculars. Have the 10x50 FMC for more then 20 years, still use it a lot. Bought a second one last year (MC) as backup. Couldn’tsee much of a difference In the two. Unfortunately it had fungus, you couldn’t see it when looking through them but i was afraid that it would contaminate my other non sealed Porro’s so i gave them to my brother and he is very happy with them.
Except that now he has fungus toenails. :)

The ORIGINAL SLC 8x42 HD and 10x42 HD with 6 ft. close focus and the original metal/rubber combo armoring with (and here's the key) a smooth turning focuser (in both directions) like the CL and NL. I'd sell the farm to buy one of those.
How much time did you spend with one? I noticed the asymmetry for about a week with my SLC HD, and then literally forgot about it. If I deliberately feel for it, it's there, and I can even detect the much smaller amount in SLC 56s which I was totally unaware of for several years. Pushing and pulling with a finger are ergonomically different anyway, and HD 42 is too good a bin to miss out on for this reason alone. (And yes, Kahles Helia S is SLC WB 42 in brown armor, still made by Swaro. There was extensive discussion here when it appeared.)
Not sure why the fish and Osprey can take the PCBs, but they cause severe health risks for humans.
According to a quick Google, the risks of bioaccumulation in predators are probably quite similar, so it's just a question of where else the raptors may also fish. (It probably takes quite a lot to kill fish themselves.) Ospreys are wonderful birds, glad you finally saw one. They dive at fish feet first!

Have you tried one? They do look similar, and Kahless is a subsidary of Swarovski.

The focus close focus is 10.5 ft, not 6 ft like the original SLC HD. But the 8x42 EDG II had a 9.8 ft close focus, and that didn't bother me in most situations, but I do like the 6.8 ft. close focus on the 8x32 EDG better.

WHY did Kahles put those orange stripes down the barrels? They were made for hunters. In case they put them down when they went for the rifle, so they could find them in the grass?

I don't see any mention of HD/ED glass on Kahless' descripotion.

Finally, what about the focuser? Is it the usual "two-tone" Swaro focuser that turns easy in one directon and harder/rachety in the other?

Brock
I have the Kahles Helia S 10x42. It is exactly like a late-model SLC, which also had the 10.5 ft close focus distance. The focuser is fine in both directions on my pair.

I rather like the brown and orange color combination. ;)

From reviews I've read, the SFL's diopter stays put despite not being lockable. However, you make a good point since both the Kowa and SFL are made in Japan, which lowers the cost of production vs. MIG.

Brock
I've owned or own original 7x35's, Trinnie 8x32, HG, Kowa, and SFL, all with diopter on eyepc and in some cases non-locking. Never have I wished for anything 'better'. In fact, I find it easier to use the simpler adjustment on eyepc then the center style as on UV/NV.

I've owned or own original 7x35's, Trinnie 8x32, HG, Kowa, and SFL, all with diopter on eyepc and in some cases non-locking. Never have I wished for anything 'better'. In fact, I find it easier to use the simpler adjustment on eyepc then the center style as on UV/NV.
Interesting point , imo and some others , having the diopter on the center focuser was and has been advertised as a premium attribute. I’m not sure why , but it always seemed that the more expensive binoculars had this trait, so it has to be better, right? 😜

I find it much easier and less fiddly when the diopter is on the right ocular, whether it locks or not, as long as it stays in place. On the other hand on Porros it’s a pain in the neck because it’s always moving out of the setting for some reason or another. It’s a shame it can’t be locked on porros.

Paul

Interesting point , imo and some others , having the diopter on the center focuser was and has been advertised as a premium attribute. I’m not sure why , but it always seemed that the more expensive binoculars had this trait, so it has to be better, right? 😜

I find it much easier and less fiddly when the diopter is on the right ocular, whether it locks or not, as long as it stays in place. On the other hand on Porros it’s a pain in the neck because it’s always moving out of the setting for some reason or another. It’s a shame it can’t be locked on porros.

Paul
What I like about it, is that it keeps focus and diop separate. When adjusting on UV/NV, I always feel like I'm bumping binos out of focus when I pull on knob to engage diopter.
Interestingly, with the Retros, I find myself casually checking the diopter setting with my ring or pinkie finger, just because it's so easy. With other locking systems I tend to do it rarely, and only if I feel like something is 'off',

What I like about it, is that it keeps focus and diop separate. When adjusting on UV/NV, I always feel like I'm bumping binos out of focus when I pull on knob to engage diopter.
Interestingly, with the Retros, I find myself casually checking the diopter setting with my ring or pinkie finger, just because it's so easy. With other locking systems I tend to do it rarely, and only if I feel like something is 'off',
Exactly, you just said it better. 👍

I’m also beginning to prefer a simple non locking diopter on the eyepiece. The Trinovid HD diopter is easy to turn and this made it simple and quick for me to set it. I just have to watch it doesn’t turn when taking the bino in and out of the case. That happened once already.

I recently acquired an original/1st gen Swaro CL 8x30 which has a non locking eyepiece diopter as well but it’s super stiff and takes real effort to turn it. It was a pain to set it because it’s still so stiff. My previous CL was the same. Thankfully the focuser is easy to turn and smooth.

I have the Kahles Helia S 10x42. It is exactly like a late-model SLC, which also had the 10.5 ft close focus distance. The focuser is fine in both directions on my pair.

I rather like the brown and orange color combination. ;)
It wouldn't be exactly like the SLC if the focuser turned smooth in both directions, but then again, as I've found some people don't notice the difference (one BF member said he tried 100 Swaros SLCs and ELs and they all turned smoothly in both directions!). It can be subtle or stark, depending on the sample, but from my experience and from reading reviews, it's noticeable to most.

Sample variation ran wild in pre-CL/NL Swaro focusers. But every one I've tried has been easy to turn toward the left (in the case of the 8x32 EL, too loose) and harder toward the right (notchy in the same EL). I think I could live with the new CL and NL focusers from what I've read, but I'd have to try them at Honey Creek Bill & Beak to know for sure.

It wasn't clear from the color on Kahless's website that the Helia was brown. Brown and orange are a better combo than green and orange.

I prefer the original SLC-HD for the look, the feel, the HD glass, and the closer focus, but they only made them for two or three years, so finding one would be difficult, and they cost almost as much as a SV EL. But it had the "two-tone" focuser, as one member referred to it. The sample I tried wasn't too bad in that regard, harder to turn toward the right but not sticky, and it was a 10x42, which I need to do less focusing than an 8x42, although like the 8x42, it focused down to 6 ft.

I guess sales weren't robust due to the high price or the fact that birders and hunters opted for the SV EL for $400 more. I'd rather the SLC-HD since it has more pincushion for smooth panning.

Thanks for that info about the Kahless Helia/SLC.

Brock

Attachments

• swarovski_slc_binoculars-lg.jpg
    swarovski_slc_binoculars-lg.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 5
I also find the diopter on the right EP (or left) easier to use than on the focuser (or below the focuser wheel like the EDG), as long as it stays put like on the bins you mentioned.

Brock

On the topic of SLC focusers I wonder if this problem(/feature?) Is limited to the later HD models? I have owned 2 SLC "neu" from 2004 (10x42) and 2008 (7x42) and both have had lovely focusers with smooth focusing even in either direction but my 2019 10x42 SLC HD had the "two tone" feeling and was not so smooth over its whole range. Interestingly when I sent it in for a focusing replacement last year it came back much more even in both directions.

I drink Japanese green tea every day, it's the best, it's not easy to find in the USA, sometimes you have to overcome a little inconvenience to get the best stuff.
There’s a gem among green teas called gyokuro which is my favorite, though I’ve got no idea if it can be found here. I like all green teas, but my favorite teas from Japan are gyokuro, genmaicha, mugicha and bancha; from one of the most expensive and all the way down to the cheapest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back