• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new binocular wishes 2023 (1 Viewer)

I didn’t know that , I stand corrected. I wouldn’t have been surprised if they were made in China 😞
Understandable, most of their products are MIC. If they become a successful defense contractor there will likely be shenanigans in the future. Have a soft spot for them since they started out as Eagle Optics.

Because of inflation, more than likely they will go the other way. UP.
Dennis, what you say is probably the way it is going to be. However, manufacturers, at present prices, have recovered their development and R&D costs many times over.
And it is not that differential prices are not on offer. Both Z and S are cheaper in ourparts.
Arijit

So what exactly is this UHD thing, a coating, or glass type, and how does it seem lacking in SF? I thought it was second-tier.

I want nothing further for 2023. I found nice (slightly older) glass this year and just intend to enjoy it.
What did you end up finding in slightly older glass?

So what exactly is this UHD thing, a coating, or glass type, and how does it seem lacking in SF? I thought it was second-tier.
From he Zeiss USA website:

"The Ultra-High-Definition (UHD) concept features a special coating and an improved optical design that ensures the binoculars deliver the highest level of detail and reproduce colors with natural fidelity."

Previously I'd ignored the SFs due to the botched initial release of the 42s, the subsequent faint praise of later 42s and 32s, and any remaining thunder being stolen by the quickly following NL Pures. I recently acquired my first SFs - a pair of used 8x32s at a nice price. I love everything about them, except for the noticeably poor contrast (or apparent contrast) that appears to be due to the widely discussed "green tint" issue. When attempting to pick out LBJs in thickets and brush they literally "pop out" when using NLs or SFLs in comparison to the SFs The SFs literally make dull birds duller and it's very disappointing. 20-25 years ago they might of been the best bins ever, but not today.

From he Zeiss USA website:

"The Ultra-High-Definition (UHD) concept features a special coating and an improved optical design that ensures the binoculars deliver the highest level of detail and reproduce colors with natural fidelity."

Previously I'd ignored the SFs due to the botched initial release of the 42s, the subsequent faint praise of later 42s and 32s, and any remaining thunder being stolen by the quickly following NL Pures. I recently acquired my first SFs - a pair of used 8x32s at a nice price. I love everything about them, except for the noticeably poor contrast (or apparent contrast) that appears to be due to the widely discussed "green tint" issue. When attempting to pick out LBJs in thickets and brush they literally "pop out" when using NLs or SFLs in comparison to the SFs The SFs literally make dull birds duller and it's very disappointing. 20-25 years ago they might of been the best bins ever, but not today.
Well there you go, better glass and better coatings, better than than the SF’s. Done deal , I guess Zeiss will now discontinue the SF.

When attempting to pick out LBJs in thickets and brush they literally "pop out" when using NLs or SFLs in comparison to the SFs The SFs literally make dull birds duller and it's very disappointing. 20-25 years ago they might of been the best bins ever, but not today.
Huh. That would be frustrating. SFs are generally better regarded... I wonder whether there's something special about red/green bias and how it can interact with individual vision. I wouldn't have wanted Nikon SEs because their red cast made things look oddly dull, though clearly others don't think so.

I've never taken an SF (or SFL) beyond the store door, but had no trouble locating a Brown Creeper in FL 10x32 yesterday, a lovely crisp view despite being a nearly 20-year-old design, though its coatings may have been improved along the way. (First Zeiss I've used in a long time. I know I said it's my wife's, but I'm helping to break it in.)

Last edited:
I’d like to give them a test drive but they don’t sell them in the USA and the armour doesn’t look as rugged as SLC
I have the Kahles Helia S 10x42 and they feel as rugged as the Swarovski EL 8.5x42. The armour is smoother than the SLC though.

I can see that the US product catalogue at kahles.at only contains rifle scopes and rangefinders. Strange.

Does the non sale of Kahles in the US have to do with being a subsidiary of Swarovski?, or something else.
Swarovski limits products sold in the US even under their own name. No Habichts or CTC/CTS, and for years they didn't sell the 8x or 10x56 SLC either. There might even be different reasons in each case.

Due to surging interest in porro prism binoculars, Nikon resurrects the 7x35 E2 binocular.....or, ANYONE brings out a top-quality 7x35 porro.

Th 54mm Victory HT's are retired by Zeiss and replaced by new 8.5x50 and 10x56 SF's.

Zeiss adds a 7x32 SF and Swarovski a 7x32 NL

Binocular wishes?

Leica produce a 6x32 UV+ the same size as/smaller than the Opticron Traveller BGA 6x32
Or Opticron update theirs and produce a top quality build VHD 6x32

Both as likely as catching wind in a net

Swarovski limits products sold in the US even under their own name. No Habichts or CTC/CTS, and for years they didn't sell the 8x or 10x56 SLC either. There might even be different reasons in each case.
They don't have Habichts on the US website but they can be ordered. I bought two from Honey Creek Bill & Beak, owner Gordon. Ordered two and each time were delivered in 6-10 weeks as promised. Swaro US will service then depending on issue, if not they will ship back over the pond for repairs.

Happy Holidays

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back