• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New released Swaro CL Companion 8x30 B (17 Viewers)

Here are my initial thoughts in brief on the new (2018 release) Swaro CL 8x30 with Urban Jungle bag & strap:

1) like the binocular:t:
2) like the bag:t:
3) don't like the strap:C

Also, I have found that I can adjust the diopter while looking thru the right barrel. Here is what I had to do: rotate the binocular 180 degrees around the right barrel while up to my eye (diopter and left barrel is now off to the right side of my face), hold the right barrel with my left hand and use one or two fingers of my right hand on the diopter adjustment while also using the rest of my right hand to brace against the right side of my face!!!:king: Sounds a bit hokey I know but works slick for a diopter I could not otherwise adjust while holding the glass to my eyes.

CG

Last edited:
Here are my initial thoughts in brief on the new (2018 release) Swaro CL 8x30 with Urban Jungle bag & strap:

1) like the binocular:t:
2) like the bag:t:
3) don't like the strap:C

Also, I have found that I can adjust the diopter while looking thru the right barrel. Here is what I had to do: rotate the binocular 180 degrees around the right barrel while up to my eye (diopter and left barrel is now off to the right side of my face), hold the right barrel with my left hand and use one or two fingers of my right hand on the diopter adjustment while also using the rest of my right hand to brace against the right side of my face!!!:king: Sounds a bit hokey I know but works slick for a diopter I could not otherwise adjust while holding the glass to my eyes.

CG

I`m going to try this CG, something I`d not thought of.

Yep... the Meopta Meostar B1 8x32 would be included in that group too (cabela's version is $900 which is less than the new CL)!!!

Lee, you have both the 8x32 Leica UV and new 8x30 CL on hand? Care to do a comparison??

CG

Sorry CG Troubadoris has a Leica UV HD (not+) but we don't have a CL.

Lee

Here are some views of the urban jungle bag beyond the stock photos available on-line. Should give you a better understanding of the bag and help with your decision if under consideration.

Attachments

• UJ Bag 01.JPG
    UJ Bag 01.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 209
  • UJ Bag 02.JPG
    UJ Bag 02.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 190
  • UL Bag 03.JPG
    UL Bag 03.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 183
  • UJ Bag 04.JPG
    UJ Bag 04.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 171
  • UJ Bag 05.JPG
    UJ Bag 05.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
A few more:

Attachments

• UJ Bag 06.JPG
    UJ Bag 06.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 99
  • UJ Bag 07.JPG
    UJ Bag 07.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 103
  • UJ Bag 08.JPG
    UJ Bag 08.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 85
  • UJ Bag 09.JPG
    UJ Bag 09.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 118
  • UJ Bag 10.JPG
    UJ Bag 10.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 105
And a couple more:

Attachments

• UJ Bag 12.JPG
    UJ Bag 12.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 155
  • UJ Bag 13.JPG
    UJ Bag 13.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 134
  • UJ Bag 14.JPG
    UJ Bag 14.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 89
  • UJ Bag 15.JPG
    UJ Bag 15.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 153
  • UJ Bag 16.JPG
    UJ Bag 16.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Its a pretty magical bag... I could even pull a rabbit from it!!! o:)

CG

The Urban Jungle Bag is handsome but it doesn't seem to be anymore efficient than the Gray colored 100% Pure Wool "Northern Lights" bag (which is quite handsome itself in an understated way) that has a carry strap that can be extended for bandolier carry if one wishes.

Bob

Last edited:
That is why Swarovski gave you a choice of three different bag and strap combinations. They are trying to make everybody happy. Actuall all three are pretty nice. It is nice how small they all are. A 30mm binocular does have size advantages. The color of that Urban Jungle bag looks like the "Madra" shirts from the sixties that were designed to have the colors fade and blend. What the heck is "Bionic Canvas?" I think the wool on the "Northern Lights" case would attract lint. I am happy with the "Wild Nature" case. The strap is padded and it didn't cost extra like the other two choices.

Attachments

• 5418299.P2.png
    5418299.P2.png
    141.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
That is why Swarovski gave you a choice of three different bag and strap combinations. They are trying to make everybody happy. Actuall all three are pretty nice. It is nice how small they all are. A 30mm binocular does have size advantages. The color of that Urban Jungle bag looks like the "Madra" shirts from the sixties that were designed to have the colors fade and blend. What the heck is "Bionic Canvas?" I think the wool on the "Northern Lights" case would attract lint. I am happy with the "Wild Nature" case. The strap is padded and it didn't cost extra like the other two choices.

No. It won't attract lint. It is pure gray wool with black leather trim and its gray woolen strap is padded and it didn't cost any more than the others did. And it matches perfectly with the "Anthracite" binocular if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Bob

Dennis,

Is the wild nature strap the same as those for the 32mm EL or has it been scaled down in size? Also, is the wild nature case the same one supplied with the prior model CL?

CG

Last edited:
Here are a few pics of the urban jungle strap. Again, to provide a better understanding of the strap for those who may be considering this package.

CG

Attachments

• UJ Strap 01.JPG
    UJ Strap 01.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 158
  • UJ Strap 02.JPG
    UJ Strap 02.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 93
  • UJ Strap 03.JPG
    UJ Strap 03.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 85
  • UJ Strap 04.JPG
    UJ Strap 04.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 68
And here are a few more:

CG

Attachments

• UJ Strap 05.JPG
    UJ Strap 05.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 76
  • UJ Strap 06.JPG
    UJ Strap 06.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 62
  • UJ Strap 07.JPG
    UJ Strap 07.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 47
  • UJ Strap 08.JPG
    UJ Strap 08.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for all the pics, cycleguy. That urban jungle strap still looks like a bit of overkill for an 18 ounce bino, but the other options, I guess, are neoprene which might even be more overkill. Swaro buyers evidently like the luxurious accoutrements but I'm a minimalist. And the Fieldpro is proprietary. Anyway, thanks very much.

Bob, you chose the Northern Lights, and from what I've seen that might be my choice too. It just looks really nice. Anthracite CL would be my first non-green binocular in many years. It looks better than the green version. IMHO.

Mark

Dennis,

Is the wild nature strap the same as those for the 32mm EL or has it been scaled down in size? Also, is the wild nature case the same one supplied with the prior model CL?

CG
The Wild Nature strap for the new CL is scaled down for the smaller binocular and IMO it is about the right size for the new CL. It is about the same size and design as the strap on the old CL but of course the new CL has the FP attachment system which I really prefer.

Last edited:
And here are a few more:

CG
The Urban Jungle strap looks nice also although the design with the buckles isn't as minimalistic as the Wild Nature. I have noticed a strap like that without the neoprene doesn't seem to sweat as much on a hot day. A little more chaffing though than the neoprene. It is all about tradeoffs.

Last edited:
For me the strap and weight of the bino is not noticeable during a day birding with the CL hehehe. I do noticed, the strap is quite big for the small bino, but still feel comfy and functional for my works etc

All,

Here is a picture of the new CL alongside other binoculars; eye pieces fully extended, ocular and objective covers off. Right to left: Maven B3 8x30, Swarovski CL 8x30, Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, Leica 7x42 UVHD+. You can see that the Swarovski is about 1/2" longer than the other x30 and about 1/8" shorter than the x32.

My preference is for a small x30 that carries well. I mostly don't bother with a strap and carry in my hoodie front pocket, gore-tex shell side pocket, day pack outer pocket or main compartment, and in hand. The little less size of the Maven really helps with getting it in and out of the pockets. So on this criteria my preference is the Maven.

Attachments

• IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
All,

Had the binoculars out and was viewing recent snowfall in the front yard. Of the 4 binoculars I posted in the photo above, the Swarovski offered the whitest rendition of white. The Leica appeared to be a hair to the red, and the Maven and Zeiss appeared to be a hair to the yellow or yellow/green. All offer a great view when looking thru them but side by side the CL is slightly better at white. If one does a lot of viewing in the snow, of white furred/hair animals, or white feathered birds... I could see where this might become a standout binocular for someone. I don't have issues with the others, but my preference on this criteria is the Swarovski.

CG

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back