• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski 7x Binocular (1 Viewer)

Sorry about the quality/distortion in the pics below. For us pocket fans, yes the Curio is noticeably more compact than the 8x25 CL.

Mike
Thanks for sharing the photos Mike. That is quite the difference. To be honest, I am really enjoying the CL 8x25. Really getting used to them now. I prefer not carry around an 8x42 after using the CL 8x25. But I am still interested in the Curio 7x21.

Thotmosis,

I recently added a 10x25 UV BR to my pocket collection - love it. It is a bit smaller than the Zeiss VP 8x25 to the point that yes, the VP may be too large for your purposes or preferences. I do prefer the Curio 7x21 to the excellent 8x20 UV BR including handling, much bigger FOV, greater DOF, bigger EP and steadier image. There is no meaningful difference in size between those two. I recently spent half a day comparing the UV 10x25 with the Curio on the beach including in some very harsh lighting conditions. To my eyes both offered excellent all around performance. With the standard caveat that you should compare the Curio with the UV 8x20 if possible to see which ultra compact version of a pocket model you prefer, I think you will find the Curio 7x a better compliment to your UV 10x25. Another reason, whether in pockets, mid or full size, IMO having a 7 and a 10x in similar bins covers more ground than pairing an 8 with a 10x.

Mike
Hi mwhogue, Thanks for this usefull information. Yes, i agree a 7x would be a better addition then an 8x. The curio is on my pocket binocular list!

Cheers,
T.

Tested these in 7x21's in Winchester at the weekend.
Was pleasantly surprised. Extremely compact and very bright for such a small objective.
There were actually brighter than my 10x25 CL's. The only problem is the price which is a bit ott in my opinion..

Cheers
Tim

Tested these in 7x21's in Winchester at the weekend.
Was pleasantly surprised. Extremely compact and very bright for such a small objective.
There were actually brighter than my 10x25 CL's. The only problem is the price which is a bit ott in my opinion..

Cheers
Tim

These are very interesting. Yes, they should be brighter than 10x25 unless very bad coating, or lack of.

Tested my Curio in the field on a four-day trip in mid-Norway. I wear glasses, and adjusted accordingly, which worked very well.
It quickly became my main tool for finding birds, and then switching to either a 1040 Habicht or a scope as necessary (which implied taking my glasses off, the Curio is the only one I've managed to use successfully with glasses on).
The optics on the Curio are extremely and surprisingly good, so good that I in many cases preferred it to the other two, even at distance.
Very happy with its clarity and definition, which makes you believe it is much more than a 7*21.

Where is the latest Swarovski optics catalog (PDF) showing Curio, NL etc? Websites are just useless eye candy today.

Hi tenex,

Swarovski hasn’t produced an annual cataolgue for several years (unlike Zeiss and Leica, though the latter has recently taken to posting 'mini catalogues').
Instead, Swarovski provides a one-off brochure - generally called a Fact Sheet - for most model lines when they’re introduced or updated.
So, where to find the Fact Sheets and other PDF information?

Firstly, on the main screen flow for each model line, there's: the specification sheet; the manual, and; a boiler plate warranty statement.
To get to these items:
• click on the Products button on the top right of the screen;
• then click on the product line, and then the model line, and;
after another click or so you’ll eventually get to all three at the bottom of a page at Downloads.

However, a Fact Sheet is far more of a challenge. You need to:
• first click on the button marked Come Closer (?) on the top left of the screen;
• then click on the Service option;
• then click on the My Service button on the right side of the screen;
• then click on the Products option;
• then click on one of the three product line options;
• then click on the model line that you’re interested in, and;
• then click on the Fact Sheet option.

You then need to:
• click on the language option that you want, and;
• when it opens and loads, click on the Download button on the top centre of the screen.

. . . it could not be simpler! :eek:

n.b. a couple of inconsistencies:
• on the SLC page the Fact Sheets are instead more clearly called Product Folders, and;
• there’s no Fact Sheet or Product Folder for the Habichts, or the ATS/ STS or STR or draw tube telescopes.

This has been the situation since the site was 'upgraded' to make it more hand-held device compatible in late 2020,
see: https://www.birdforum.net/threads/the-big-three’s-websites-really.402451/
I presume that it was meant to be a temporary fix, to enable the main portion of the site to be put online sooner.
But after 18 months there's still no improvement for users.

John

Last edited:
Thanks John. Yes, I'd found individual "Fact Sheets" but was looking for a complete catalog, as the last I have is from c.2017. (The Leica website is even worse, pure pablum with specs available only via PDF download, so I think it's a new marketing approach rather than a device issue.)

Hi tenex,

Until 2012 the catalogues had the full range of descriptive details about each model line - what’s now in the Fact Sheets.
But from 2013 the product details are far less extensive, with the text becoming increasingly more lyrical,
presumedly to give a sense of the 'Swarovski Experience'.
And is you indicate, the last catalogue was in 2017.

John

Last edited:
Big fan of the Curio here and an unabashed accessories nerd. As others mention, the included Curio case is well made, nicely padded, magnetic closure but is unnecessarily large, does not include a belt loop but does include a carrying strap with enough adjustable scope to carry cross body altho the bins can only be carried folded in the case. But several years ago before they became too expensive, I got a SW cleaning kit that came with a nice bag with sturdy belt loop. It allows the Curio to be carried adjusted at my IP, oculars forward with strap and the pictured trimmed down Opticron compact rainguard. Curio can be carried oculars up in this case as well but cannot be zipped closed with the rainguard in place. Carried on a belt the bins stay reasonably secure with case unzipped allowing quick "holster" draw. Also pictured is an old SW shaving kit style belt pouch included with the 8x20 Habicht with enough space for the Curio to be carried folded with the rainguard.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 96
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back