• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 10x35 Ell ? (1 Viewer)

I get black outs with the 10x42 SE, but I think many don't.

Optically the SE is very good but narrower field than EII.

I do with mine unless eye distance and eye placement are correct. Image quality is very good, but the SE (for me anyway) is not an effortless binocular to look through in the way something like the Swarovski 8.5x42 SV is. It required a fair amount of practice and familiarity, plus experimentation with setup for me to become really comfortable with it (which incidentally I've found with almost every porro I've owned). Even now it works much better with one pair of glasses/spectacles than another which sits closer to my face. Equipping that long eye relief eyepiece with rubber eyecups, as opposed to twist-up eyecups, was not the brightest decision Nikon ever made - it's almost as though they wanted to make sure the SE was inferior to their top end roof binoculars...

I rather hope this talk of SE lenses separating causes their prices to tank. I wouldn't mind a spare pair, or a 12x50...

As stated earlier, it is not a common problem at all in the SE, and to really see and identify where the problem is, the eye piece has to be dismantled. I enjoy, and will continue viewing with my both SE and EII glass as well.

Doing research for a Christmas gift thought it would be wise to ask birdforum members first.

How does this model compare with the 2nd tier roof bins? Meostar 10x42 HD, Monarch HG 10x42
I have had all three of these, and I preferred the Monarch HG 10x42. The Nikon 10x35 E2 is a good binocular, but it is not spectacular like 8x30 E2 because at 7 degrees it doesn't have the huge FOV of the 8x30 E2 compared to the competition. The Monarch HG 10x42 has a 6.9 degree FOV and has better contrast and is brighter than the 10x35 E2 because it has a bigger aperture and higher transmission and for most people it has better handling. The Monarch HG 10x42 is probably the best HG overall of all the different HG formats.

🪦🪦
I have had all three of these, and I preferred the Monarch HG 10x42. The Nikon 10x35 E2 is a good binocular, but it is not spectacular like 8x30 E2 because at 7 degrees it doesn't have the huge FOV of the 8x30 E2 compared to the competition. The Monarch HG 10x42 has a 6.9 degree FOV and has better contrast and is brighter than the 10x35 E2 because it has a bigger aperture and higher transmission and for most people it has better handling. The Monarch HG 10x42 is probably the best HG overall of all the different HG formats.
Here is a recent post from cloudynights forum member

"I had the 8x30 E2 and the 10x35 E2 . Both were bought from Japan through Ebay with no problems , shipped to me in a reasonable time frame with no added costs.

I ended up selling them because I wear glasses and the E2's don't allow me to take in the full field of view comfortably . I replaced the E2's with a Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 . I consider the Monarch HG to be just a wee bit better than the E2's and they are more eyeglass friendly."

I do with mine unless eye distance and eye placement are correct. Image quality is very good, but the SE (for me anyway) is not an effortless binocular to look through in the way something like the Swarovski 8.5x42 SV is. It required a fair amount of practice and familiarity, plus experimentation with setup for me to become really comfortable with it (which incidentally I've found with almost every porro I've owned). Even now it works much better with one pair of glasses/spectacles than another which sits closer to my face. Equipping that long eye relief eyepiece with rubber eyecups, as opposed to twist-up eyecups, was not the brightest decision Nikon ever made - it's almost as though they wanted to make sure the SE was inferior to their top end roof binoculars...

I rather hope this talk of SE lenses separating causes their prices to tank. I wouldn't mind a spare pair, or a 12x50...
The Japanese auction site is the best place to find defunct SE's a 12x50 sold yesterday for $285 USD, they pop up on a regular basis

See link

🪦🪦

Here is a recent post from cloudynights forum member

"I had the 8x30 E2 and the 10x35 E2 . Both were bought from Japan through Ebay with no problems , shipped to me in a reasonable time frame with no added costs.

I ended up selling them because I wear glasses and the E2's don't allow me to take in the full field of view comfortably . I replaced the E2's with a Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 . I consider the Monarch HG to be just a wee bit better than the E2's and they are more eyeglass friendly."

That was my post . I also had the Nikon SE 8x32 and 10x42 but sold them because I did not find them easy and comfortable to use . I wasn't wearing glasses with the SE's so I wonder how I would have gotten along with them if I was wearing glasses with them .

There is one listed for auction on the Japanese auction site se link check bost but the size and narrow field of view is not desirable notwithstanding age of the optic and potential lens issues I would rather find something newer under warranty.
The Nikon 10x42 SE in the above link just sold for $280 USD on the Japanese auction website if anyones looking for SE donor parts this is the best place.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back