• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please give Never and always birding advice. (2 Viewers)

brianhstone said:
Never... (and this means ever, at all, not even for a pico-second, even if you know you will pick them up again - because you won't) put your binoculars on the roof of your car.

Always take note of the above..

It's 1981 and I had just shelled out £315.00 (tons of money then) for a pair of Zeiss B'gats. Went to Flamboro, got in the car and one mile down the road - at a junction - I was confronted with a big greasy biker banging on the car roof....."hey mate, your binoculars are on the roof".

The bins are still going strong...if very worn!

John.

s.g. said:
Never tell the wife how long you are going to be,
Always say I will be back later!

S. G.
That one is key.Usually I add 2-3 hours to what I think the actual time will be if i do give a time.

Never get totally liquored up the night before a pelagic trip- then eat soft boiled eggs for breakfast- when you NEVER eat breakfast!
Always carry a pair of compact bins with you.

Never forget what a top birder once told me: the main difference between new birders and experienced birders is that experienced birders have made a lot more mistakes.
Always believe the sign that says, "No Trespassing - Survivors Will Be Prosecuted."

NEVER (and I mean NEVER) step into water up to your shins in the dead of winter, 20 degrees F, while the wind is blowing and it's snowing when you're a good 20 minute RUN from your car.

ALWAYS thank G-d that your friends are there to make fun of you and make you take frostbite less seriously (I would have flipped out if it wasn't for them).

Never be afraid to draw people's attention to something you think might be unusual (especially if it's rapidly passing by).
Never think all birds can be identified.

Always get the best field guide avalaible and get well-acquainted with it!
Always get to know the common birds first.

Never pack your bins and camera away as soon as you get back in the car - you will be sure to miss a great shot of a raptor on a telephone pole or wire.
Always offer to let a youngster use your bins - you may just spark an interest that will last their lifetime.

lvn600 said:
Please offer some birding advice by making 2 statements. One starting with: "Never..........." and the other starting with: "Always....."

Never ever,ever,ever let your kids take a picture with yor new camera near water.
Always have note book for quick sketch or notes to help ID later.

Always keep a list of birds that you have seen, so that you can look over it and remember when you first saw all those birds...

but never let the list become become an obsession, or worry about how long (or short) it is.

NEVER EVER check Birdline or your pager when the in laws come for the day, it is sods law that something amazing will turn up and you can't get away. TORTURE.
P.S. I remember the Blue Cheeked Bee Eater at Cowden only too well for this reason.

Always be prepared to help a fellow birder who has started on the 'journey' we all had to start at the beginning.

Last edited:
ALWAYS Check the settings, battery and card (likewise with a film camera) before you leave the house.

NEVER assume you have too much gear. ( you can never have enough ).

Always delete at least one sacrificeable picture in your full flashcard before getting into your car - you'll never know what may pop up on your way back

Never be envious of others' longer "toys" - there are more Pigmy Cormorants than Dodos ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back