• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please give Never and always birding advice. (3 Viewers)

Never forget your map.

Always go back to the house to get it when you realise you've forgotten it.

Chris

always remember that it is a proven fact that it's impossible to relieve yourself at a nature reserve without someone somewhere watching you!

never bother spending more than an hour trying to get a non birder into birding,if they don't get it within the first hour move onto the next ;)

matt

Never ever confort poachers directly.

Always smile at poachers. Then when they are not looking write down theyr car number etc, report them to the wildlife agencies shortly afterwards.

matt green said:
always remember that it is a proven fact that it's impossible to relieve yourself at a nature reserve without someone somewhere watching you! ... matt

This is TRUE! While taking long range photos I've discovered an amazing number of guys don't know what bushes are for!

Always check the camera for "memory space" and "batteries" before leaving home!

Never go into remote areas without telling somebody where you are going! If all else fails, leave a written note by your telephone ... and on your cell phone have an "ICE" number for the paramedics!

NEVER call a passing raptor to a fellow birder drinking a scalding hot cup of coffee.

ALWAYS carry a first aid kit with an eye bath.

JP

When in the woods ALWAYS check to see what's under foot and this way you will NEVER have to drop your pants to smash a thousand Fire Ants climbing up your legs.

KCFoggin said:
When in the woods ALWAYS check to see what's under foot and this way you will NEVER have to drop your pants to smash a thousand Fire Ants climbing up your legs.
oooooch...

sounds like that comes from personal experiance :eek!:

matt

KCFoggin said:
LOL ! wow. That is good advice though - I almost stepped on a little toad last week when I was birding - lucky I saw the little dude at the last second.

KCFoggin said:
Oy vey...sounds extremely miserable.

Always know how to focus your binoculars.
Always watch out for stinging insects (I have a phobia)

Always leave your name and a telephone number inside your field guides.
Never leave one on the ground while you go to chase a bird. -(not that I would ever do that.)

Last edited:
Never say:

This bird always occurs in this habitat/occurs at this time of year/behaves in this way.

Never say:

This bird never occurs in this habitat/occurs at this time of year/behaves in this way.

Always:

Take some time out from concentrating exclusively on birds to enjoy the scenery, the sunset, the sound of the breeze in the reeds.

James

with reference to photography.

Never: store all your trips valuable photos on a 1 or more G.B.card in case it crashes,it is better instead to use several512 M.B.cards.

Always: have a default setting that you return your camera to, after you use an unusually extreme setting. There is nothing worse than missing a colourfull shot in bright weather when your camera is left on the black and white setting at a sensitivity speed of iso3200!

Last edited:
[QUOTE

never bother spending more than an hour trying to get a non birder into birding,if they don't get it within the first hour move onto the next ;)

matt[/QUOTE]

Ahhhhh.... so thats where I wrong for nearly 3 years!!!!!!!!!

NEVER leave home without chocolate
ALWAYS bring chocolate :hi:

Never forget to check the weather forcast before going birding.

Always keep waterproofs to hand. (especially handy if on a hike).

(quote anthony britner)
always keep waterproofs to hand

(especialy if the weather man says it's going to be sunny) o:D

matt

Always remember to bring extra batteries for the camera.

Never be afraid to ask anyone you meet out hiking - especially if they've got binoculars and/or a camera - if they've seen anything interesting.

Never assume that because you've seen one good bird that day that you've had you your lot

Always be greedy (esecially in fall conditions!)

NEVER assume that just because a flock of ducks/gulls/whatever has been checked by someone else, there is nothing good to be found - they may have overlooked something

ALWAYS make sure you know how to give good directions to an interesting bird you find

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back