• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please give Never and always birding advice. (4 Viewers)

sbrasuel said:
Never say you will be back in a few hours.
Always say you will be home by midnight.

Never say which midnight ;)

Always have your bins around your neck. Can be awkward when washing your hair in a bucket in some remote place but if the bins are waterproof, no problem. Could be a bit tricky making mad passionate love but we wont go down that road on this forum ;)

Colin said:

Always have your bins around your neck. Can be awkward when washing your hair in a bucket in some remote place but if the bins are waterproof, no problem. Could be a bit tricky making mad passionate love but we wont go down that road on this forum ;)
I want to know...but at the same time, I don't want to know.

Never go out birding in tropical storm conditions, regardless of how much water birds like rain.
Never go out in tropical storm conditions in a tiny, thin nightgown. This applies whether you're birding or not.

NEVER: run directly at the birds in excitement
ALWAYS: watch the sun (if applicable)-burns are not cool

Mabel said:
NEVER: run directly at the birds in excitement
ALWAYS: watch the sun (if applicable)-burns are not cool
Actually, watching the sun is a really, really BAD idea. At best, you'll see funny irregular blotches for the next several minutes. At worst, you'll go blind AND get laughed at by some ***** passing by.

Colin said:

Seriously, always have your bins around your neck as soon as is practical when onsite (e.g. out of the car on arrival). Never carry them swinging from the hand or worse swinging from the hand in their case. You will be too late in getting at them when you want them in the latter situation and in the first you may well kick them as you walk and that could lead to damage.

Always return the focus to long/medium range after you have used them at minimum focus for a perched insect for example. If not, and the next thing you want to view is a distant bird (assuming that the most often things that you are likely to view are distant), you will have to do a bit of feverish refocussing before being able to seen the object clearly.

Colin said:
Always return the focus to long/medium range after you have used them at minimum focus for a perched insect for example. If not, and the next thing you want to view is a distant bird (assuming that the most often things that you are likely to view are distant), you will have to do a bit of feverish refocussing before being able to seen the object clearly.

Aaargh why didn't I think of that one a long time ago :-C so obvious when you think about it.

Thanks Colin :t:

D

Evanji Axu said:
Actually, watching the sun is a really, really BAD idea. At best, you'll see funny irregular blotches for the next several minutes. At worst, you'll go blind AND get laughed at by some ***** passing by.

OI! Leave my atrocious grammar alone! 3:)

The Barn Owl said:
ALWAYS make sure you know how to give good directions to an interesting bird you find

And to think I thought they were able to find their way around all on their own (LOL)! That explains the mystery of migration then - Barn Owl is showing them the way!

Helen

brianhstone said:
Never... (and this means ever, at all, not even for a pico-second, even if you know you will pick them up again - because you won't) put your binoculars on the roof of your car.

Also applies to leaning your scope up against the car "(and this means ever, at all, not even for a pico-second, even if you know you will pick them up again - because you won't)" I did this the other day. Returned to the scene of the idiocy to find only one clip off the leg of the tripod. AARRGGGHHH!

Oh well B :)

Birds don't read books

On my recent (only second) visit to the US of A. I was like so many birders both overwhelmed and excited by the many species that I had only seen in a field guides. I then found three male Rose Breasted Grosbeaks in the same tree, my enthusiasm attracted a local US birder when I stated confidently that I was surprised to see them here as the field guide suggests that they do not occur in this area. He replied with a statement of sound advice, "The birds around here don't read too many books buddy"
Merlin

no
J Moss said:
Also applies to leaning your scope up against the car "(and this means ever, at all, not even for a pico-second, even if you know you will pick them up again - because you won't)" I did this the other day. Returned to the scene of the idiocy to find only one clip off the leg of the tripod. AARRGGGHHH!

Oh well B :)

James said:
Never say things like 'I'll go for the Black Lark next weekend, it will still be there.'
Always savour every moment instead of chasing round with your head in the future.
james, if you mean spangles the sweets [might be a pop group for all i know]. i stopped eating those when i was sick after eating to many of the the acid drop ones 45 years ago.

Never stand directly under a tree full of starlings, and then look up.
Always make sure you have something with you with which to clean lenses of Bins/scope.

Never just go in your trainers because the paths are good.
Always keep a pair of wellies in the car.

Never think "It's not that cold i won't need my gloves"
Always put your gloves in your pocket/rucksack.

never get your bins out on a train people ask, our you a train spotter. :C

never go on a family trip to the beach, then come back 30 mins later and tell your mum that you have just had a shag. :eek!:

never go birding go twiching. ;)

never pick up dead white birds with wings on the beach there not birds. :h?:

never stop lgre kicking s@#t out of steve webb 3:)

:gn:

Always offer to let anyone in the hide who hasn't got a scope have a look down yours.

Always look at the carpark of every reserve you drive past. If the cars are overflowing onto the the road stop and go in. There's probably a rarity there.

Always notify birdline/birdguides if you see something unusual, so everyone can enjoy it.

Never laugh at stupid questions asked by beginners, even when they look at a snipe and say 'Oh look, a bay godwit', or ask what the brown birds with the blackbirds are. Or, even more bizarrely, 'Are those telescopes?'.

Never leave your scope set up beside you at the sort of reserve visited by non-birders. When you turn round one of them will be using it...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back