• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

Very intrigued by this myself Phil.

I look forward to hearing the details.

Would certainly be frustrating if kept quiet for no reason :smoke:

The story goes like this - a birdwatcher found a full s/pl RBFly at a site in North Staffs. He told another birder on site who also saw it. He decided not to put the news out as he thought it was probably an escape. Knowing one person involved, it probably won't be submitted anyway, so the whole sorry episode can be forgotten :smoke:

The story goes like this - a birdwatcher found a full s/pl RBFly at a site in North Staffs. He told another birder on site who also saw it. He decided not to put the news out as he thought it was probably an escape. Knowing one person involved, it probably won't be submitted anyway, so the whole sorry episode can be forgotten :smoke:

The weird and wonderful world of Staffs birding...all rolled into one post! Thought it was probably an escape! :eek!:

News for the 10th Oct

Glossy Ibis - Tittesworth still from the causeway 14.20 at least
Glossy Ibis - Doxey Marshes flew over south at 08.50
Wood Sand - still Belvide
Ring Ouzel - flew over Berry Hill Fields

One of those classic days today when you just wish you didn't have a restrictive indoor job...you can see the weather outside and the messages on the pager but do nothing to join in the fun!

News for the 11th Oct

Grey Phalarope - Belvide late am also Bonxie flew north at 08.30 then a 2nd bird between 09.50-14.20 then flew SW also 3 Rock Pipit, Wood Sand still and 19 Yellow-legged Gull

Glossy Ibis - still Tittesworth also Rock Pipit
6 Whooper Swan - Blithfield in Tad bay this am

This must just have been the tip of the iceberg today with most birders being at work. Numerous Bonxies, Gannets, Arctic Skuas and the odd other bits and pieces across the East Mids...with the same weather forecast for tomorrow the counts of seabirds across the Mids might be more reminiscent of a day at Flamborough...;)

Gailey, typically, didn't join in the fun with the only report I received today was that it held "some nice boats"...:-O

This must just have been the tip of the iceberg today with most birders being at work. Numerous Bonxies, Gannets, Arctic Skuas and the odd other bits and pieces across the East Mids...with the same weather forecast for tomorrow the counts of seabirds across the Mids might be more reminiscent of a day at Flamborough...;)

Gailey, typically, didn't join in the fun with the only report I received today was that it held "some nice boats"...:-O

The big question now Mr Moore. Tomorrow is Saturday. So do you have the Balls to tell your Mrs that your going out birding all day? Or do you spend the day hand in hand walking around shoe shops.:-O

The big question now Mr Moore. Tomorrow is Saturday. So do you have the Balls to tell your Mrs that your going out birding all day? Or do you spend the day hand in hand walking around shoe shops.:-O

Well he does need a new pair of peep-toe stilletos ... :eek!:

Last edited:

A bit of both...;) I tell you what, when doing an all day sesh at Gailey in the past, the draw of a walk around the shops can seem very appealing...;)

Well today was good but maybe not as good as expected after yesterday. Having spent a bit of time with the family after a long, busy week at work it was pretty obvious when getting out the car about 11.30 that loads of Redwing we're going over, so with the choice between an hours round trip to Gailey or a 5 min drive to Penn Common I chose the later and, after getting a half day pass stamped ;), had c1,200 Redwing go N/NW between 12.00 and 14.30 (including c400 between 12.35-12.45 before a heavy shower) along with a couple of Brambling and the odd small flock of the common finches. This seemed like a good move until I had a phone call from The Snapper, who I already knew was doing Gailey with little success, to say that a Great White Egret (that I dipped by 10mins last time) had just flown west through Gailey...oh the joy of birding...

News for the 12th Oct

Great White Egret - Belvide flew NW thru at 15.10 also 2 Grey Plover flew SE, 2 drake Common Scoter, Wood Sand still & Rock Pipit over
Great White Egret - Gailey flew W over dam at 15.00
Fem Red-breasted Merg - Uttoxeter Quarry until 17.50 then flew north
15 Whooper Swan - east over Croxall

Good to see Belvide getting some 'sloppy seconds' off Gailey for a change - although the two Grey Plover didn't repay the favour.

Last edited:
A bit of both...;)This seemed like a good move until I had a phone call from The Snapper, who I already knew was doing Gailey with little success, to say that a Great White Egret (that I dipped by 10mins last time) had just flown west through Gailey...oh the joy of birding...

I was thinking it was a waste of time y'day. Got wet & cold for very little. Was just about to head back off the dam when the GWE came over. Definitely a case of making your own luck by spending more time out.

Today was also hard work but a Rock Pipit which came down onto the causeway calling made it worthwhile. Just a shame most of the Staffs patches didn't get in on the seabird action. :-C

Looks as if the neighbouring counties have scored better than Staffs today, with Gannets, Bonxies, Mergs, etc etc. Next few days could still be interesting tho. Will get up Gailey for first light me thinks.

News for the 13th Oct

4 Arctic Skua (adult & 3 Juv) - Blithfield flew NW at 17.50 also 3 Rock Pipit & 1w Little Gull
Wood Sand - Belvide still & 3 Rock Pipit over
Rock Pipit - Gailey on causeway at 13.00

A surprisingly quiet day in Staffs (except for the Blithers Skuas) - with loads of birds in the East Mids and Worcs it really didn't get this far north or west, presumably these were mainly birds that had already been lost and disorientated on Friday / Sat that are now trying to find there way back to the North Sea...

I dont know if anyone has ever considered writing the birding history of Belvide, Blithfield, Chasewater or Gailey (or even Cannock Chase for that matter) but I am in possession of Arthur Jacobs' notebooks which contan sightings right back to the early 1950s. Let me know if anyone ever wants to have sight of them.

Looks as if the neighbouring counties have scored better than Staffs today, with Gannets, Bonxies, Mergs, etc etc. Next few days could still be interesting tho. Will get up Gailey for first light me thinks.

Tomorrow still looks like it could produce something, with a North East wind and frequent showers forecast. I think the problem today was that it was blowing mainly from the north west, well it was at Belvide at least. Looks like another day off work for me anyway.:smoke:

Tomorrow still looks like it could produce something, with a North East wind and frequent showers forecast. I think the problem today was that it was blowing mainly from the north west, well it was at Belvide at least. Looks like another day off work for me anyway.:smoke:

Yep, strong North Westerly at Gailey too. Made birding pretty tricky with all the rain especially with no hides. Would love a hide on the causeway, would make waiting around a dam site more comfortable.

I'm hoping for a big fat Bonxie or Gannet sat on the water first thing :eek!:

I dont know if anyone has ever considered writing the birding history of Belvide, Blithfield, Chasewater or Gailey (or even Cannock Chase for that matter) but I am in possession of Arthur Jacobs' notebooks which contan sightings right back to the early 1950s. Let me know if anyone ever wants to have sight of them.

That would be amazing if they have some sightings in for Gailey? I'm in the process of putting all the recent (well since the early 90's) sightings from Gailey into a report plus any sightings I've found from Birds of the West Midlands etc. I know it was drained one autumn in the 80's as Higgo informed me of some of the birds he saw but I have no dates or numbers etc. Would be great if anyone could email me any unusual records or good counts etc. My email address is [email protected] - any info welcome, even if you think it is not worthwhile it might be in a Gailey context e.g. I've never seen (or found any records) of the likes of Sanderling, Jack Snipe, Little Tern, Corn Bunting, Gropper, Pied Fly etc etc - so basically anything worthy of note is worth sending me! Cheers in advance...:t:

Weather forecast I'd seen showed NNW, for this area anyway. I think with stuff already storm battered and out of range it might not matter too much anyway. Wish I could say the same about work...:-C

I can't believe Staffs hasn't had a single fly through Gannet recorded yet this last week with all the birds across the Mids including sev in Worcs / Warks...maybe tomoz! ATB

That would be amazing if they have some sightings in for Gailey? I'm in the process of putting all the recent (well since the early 90's) sightings from Gailey into a report plus any sightings I've found from Birds of the West Midlands etc. I know it was drained one autumn in the 80's as Higgo informed me of some of the birds he saw but I have no dates or numbers etc. Would be great if anyone could email me any unusual records or good counts etc. My email address is [email protected] - any info welcome, even if you think it is not worthwhile it might be in a Gailey context e.g. I've never seen (or found any records) of the likes of Sanderling, Jack Snipe, Little Tern, Corn Bunting, Gropper, Pied Fly etc etc - so basically anything worthy of note is worth sending me! Cheers in advance...:t:

Certainly 20+ entries for Gailey from say 1952 onwards (always as an after-thought to "Bellfields" ;)). Matt Griffiths has already approached me re any Earlswood records. Will wait to see if anyone puts there hands up for Blithfield, Belvide or Chasewater and then have a coordinated read through.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back