• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (4 Viewers)

RB Fly

I suspect it could have been genuine. Very frustrating!

The story goes like this - a birdwatcher found a full s/pl RBFly at a site in North Staffs. He told another birder on site who also saw it. He decided not to put the news out as he thought it was probably an escape. Knowing one person involved, it probably won't be submitted anyway, so the whole sorry episode can be forgotten :smoke:

Certainly 20+ entries for Gailey from say 1952 onwards (always as an after-thought to "Bellfields" ;)). Matt Griffiths has already approached me re any Earlswood records. Will wait to see if anyone puts there hands up for Blithfield, Belvide or Chasewater and then have a coordinated read through.

Fantastic stuff, Phil - any info would be much appreciated. No rush - I've been working on my Gailey report since July and I'm only as far as Marsh Harrier, so no immediate need! It's hard work fitting it in with a busy new job and family...a bit like birding in general at the mo! Although based on tomorrow's forecast I'll be popping up Gailey...if I can escape work early enough!

That's kind of how my interest in Gailey started...I'd been for the odd goody found by others but one Jan as I cycled past between Cannock Tip and 'Bellfields' I saw it was slightly drained, so did a U turn on the A5 and dropped in to find a single (and still my only ever!) Knot at Gailey with a group of Lapwing - I then started doing it more regular and found a few half decent bits n pieces. Now The Snapper has bravely took on the Gailey Regular mantra and the 'padders' are still turning up regularly..it's a frustrating site at times (with no hides, no shoreline and plenty of weekend disturbance) but given a mixture of dedication and luck it can bring rewards...

I suspect it could have been genuine. Very frustrating!

Be a bit of a p*sser in RB Fly was added to Red-backed Shrike, Wryneck and Yellow-browed Warbler as birds in Staffs that were ungettable this autumn...:-C

But just goes to show what is out there lurking away from the traditional reservoir sites waiting to be found...and maybe in the future reported before they depart! :eek!:

Red-backed Shrike Cannock Chase

Reply from Linda

Quote (Originally by JHDraytonbassettpits)--- Hi Linda,
Nice photo of a male Red-backed Shrike at Cannock Chase, what area of the Chase and on what date did you see this bird.

Regards, John
---End Quote---
Hi John, it was last seen in Sherbrooke Valley. I took this in September and my friend who Is a bird watcher said it was a Red Backed Shrike and a rare bird. I don't come on here much but I was encouraged to join here and share my pictures.

Regards

Linda

I have re-contacted Linda to see if she can give the exact date her picture was taken.

Regards, John

Linda further informed me by PM that she did tell a friend who got the news out, so its only fair to assume that it was bird reported present on the 23rd September.

Hi all,

I'm going to be a bit sceptical about this photo. To me it has a feeling that it has a superimposed look to it. Where are it's legs and feet? On the trunk you can see shadows cast from the smaller twigs but not a single shadow cast from the bird.
A Red Backed Shrike is a very good bird in Staffs, but an adult male in September is even more outstanding. Not impossible I know, but something doesn't quiet feel right.

Cheers Steve

Last edited:
I totally agree with you Steve there is definitely some manipulation of the image going on. Why oh why??

Hi all,

I'm going to be a bit sceptical about this photo. To me it has a feeling that it has a superimposed look to it. Where are it's legs and feet? On the trunk you can see shadows cast from the smaller twigs but not a single shadow cast from the bird.
A Red Backed Shrike is a very good bird in Staffs, but an adult male in September is even more outstanding. Not impossible I know, but something doesn't quiet feel right.

Cheers Steve

RBS Chase

Hi all,

Cheers Steve

Does look suspect. The image seems to have been taken down now.

Hello everyone. I had to alter the lighting on Shrike image on Lightroom as it was very over exposed and you could hardly see it. I assure you this bird is genuine. I will just post the one straight from the memory card to show you. Regards. LB

The story goes like this - a birdwatcher found a full s/pl RBFly at a site in North Staffs. He told another birder on site who also saw it. He decided not to put the news out as he thought it was probably an escape. Knowing one person involved, it probably won't be submitted anyway, so the whole sorry episode can be forgotten :smoke:

Though Nick P suggests its a genuine record I'm not so sure myself. I go to Silverdale CP on average two or three times a week and apart from NP & ST who also check the site there are no other 'bird watchers' I see up there who would be capable of identifying an RBF without looking in a field guide when they got home.
The second person supposedly involved has virtually disappeared from the birding scene and has resisted all attempts to contact him.
If by chance a birder did visit and find the bird then why have we heard nothing from him since !! any active birder would realise the importance of an RBF inland.

On hearing the news myself and NP went up the following morning but to no avail.

Last edited:
Crossbills at Maer

Steve Turner and myself have had up to 4 Crossbills at Maer hills this weekend with 'odd' flight calls, Steve had 4 fly over yesterday and I had a flock of 3 and a single fly over today. The call is quite low and similar to a Bullfinch. There are also Common Crossbills up there I had about 15 this afternoon.
We have not seen the birds perched so have no idea what the bill size and structure is like.
For anyone interested take the first on the right after the Swan with 2 necks pub which is on the Nantwich rd about 5 miles from Newcastle, drive for about half a mile and park on the right. Take the footpath straight ahead with woods on your left until you reach the first clearing on the left. The 4 birds in question are favouring this area.

Steve Turner and myself have had up to 4 Crossbills at Maer hills this weekend with 'odd' flight calls, Steve had 4 fly over yesterday and I had a flock of 3 and a single fly over today. The call is quite low and similar to a Bullfinch. There are also Common Crossbills up there I had about 15 this afternoon.
We have not seen the birds perched so have no idea what the bill size and structure is like.
For anyone interested take the first on the right after the Swan with 2 necks pub which is on the Nantwich rd about 5 miles from Newcastle, drive for about half a mile and park on the right. Take the footpath straight ahead with woods on your left until you reach the first clearing on the left. The 4 birds in question are favouring this area.

Interesting stuff, Phil! Would be nice if they could be pinned down but the weather over the next few days doesn't look that promising. Having so far missed out on the 2-barred 'invasion' it would be a bonus if Staffs got caught up in the Parrot one...and a 2-barred was with them...;)

Not the easiest birds to pin down unless a nice drinking pool can be located but I think when it's wet they often just get their moisture from the trees and cones which makes it doubly hard...:-C

News for the 23rd Oct

Bonxie - south thru Chasewater at 17.45.
Great Grey Shrike - Croxall beyond the 1st hide this afternoon.
2w Med Gull - Westport this am.

Hi All

I thought the Great Grey Shrike seen at Croxall yesterday afternoon, not by me I hasten to add, would have gone by this morning when I called over to check it out ... and I was right ! Nor was there any GGS to be seen over on Cannock Chase, when I went for a longish ramble round all the favourite GGS haunts this afternoon, including Upper Longdon.
But back to this morning ... I drove round the Whitemoor Haye rough track before heading off to the Chase and stopped for a few minutes on the bend half way round, to scan the fields both sides. After a couple of minutes, this Corn Bunting perched up on the bushes in the angle of the bend, virtually right next to me ... and stayed there for a good five minutes !
Best ever views of CB I have had, but what was that all about ?

PS Good view of the dark central v-shape on the breast.

Cheers

Andy R.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 58
Cannock Chase

Great Grey Shrike seen on clearfell near the Butts this morning !

Either I must be losing it ! ... or it wasn't there yesterday when I was.

Hopefully it will stay around.

Andy R.

Great Grey Shrike seen on clearfell near the Butts this morning !

Either I must be losing it ! ... or it wasn't there yesterday when I was.

Hopefully it will stay around.

Andy R.

Very good photo of the Shrike on the Staffordshire Bird News site now, from Steve Edwards ... well done buddy !

Andy R.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back