• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (3 Viewers)

I checked out the location again this morning and there was a fairly normal chiff singing with some stuttering (the song bursts were much longer lasting than yesterdays bird), plus a presumed female in the undergrowth collecting nesting material and giving out a standard chiff call. Nick Smith was there earlier and heard the same singing bird - so unfortunately nothing of excitement there today. Either yesterdays bird has gone or it was a normal chiff which has got it's song back on track. I didn't see yesterdays bird other than in the tree tops, likewise today's bird, so can't compare the two.

Cheers, Nick

Poss Ibe Chiff

The bird is still present and has been heard to sing short bursts on a few occasions but is generally very elusive. It wasn't heard singing until 10am. It had also been heard to give a trill after a few calls on two occasions but not when I was present at lunchtime when it only sang once briefly and couldn't be located. Whatever it is, it's not being very co-operative!

There are 3+ "ordinary" chiffs singing in the area too.

Cheers,
Nick

The bird is still present and has been heard to sing short bursts on a few occasions but is generally very elusive. It wasn't heard singing until 10am. It had also been heard to give a trill after a few calls on two occasions but not when I was present at lunchtime when it only sang once briefly and couldn't be located. Whatever it is, it's not being very co-operative!

There are 3+ "ordinary" chiffs singing in the area too.

Cheers,
Nick

Thanks for checking it out again Nick et al, I've not been able to get up there today. I'm resigned to it being just a Chiff.

Ummm sounds like it might not be the end of the road for the Ibe Chiff...

Extra News for the 1st May

Drake Scaup - still Belvide and Whitemoor Haye

News for the 4th May

Little & Arctic Tern, drake Garganey, drake Scaup, Sanderling, Whimbrel & 2 Jack Snipe - Belvide
Bar-tailed Godwit & Scaup - Blithfield in Blithe bay
Sanderling & 2 Whimbrel - Whitemoor Haye main pit

Last edited:
News for the 5th May

Wood Sand - Drayton Bassett north pit & 1w Med Gull
Wood Sand - Doxey Marshes on pool btwn metal hide & railway also Greenshank & 3 Blackwits
Fem Marsh Harrier - north over Kingsley, Churnet Valley
Turtle Dove - Cannock Chase opp Whitehouse on car park
Bar-tailed Godwit - Blithfield still in Blithe bay
Whimbrel - Whitemoor Haye
Drake Scaup - still Belvide

News for the 6th May

2 White Stork - north over Draycott in the Clay at 09.45
White Stork - Kingsley Moor in fields at Greenhead Farm by A52 at 12.30 only.
Wood Sand - Doxey on Tillington Flash at 19.25 also Greenshank
Whimbrel - Branston Pits
Whimbrel - north over Westport early am

Try the area around Aqualate bird hide Phil. They have been found there in the past.

Yep the only one I saw last year in Staffs was just past the hide there in early June.

News for the 7th May

Whooper Swan - Westport on main lake early am at least
Drake Garganey - Aqualate Mere

Not a lot at Gailey this afternoon (IM, I saw you coming along the path when I was by the spill weir).

Sedge Warbler, Garden Warbler and a couple of Common Sands was as much as I had.

Not a lot at Gailey this afternoon (IM, I saw you coming along the path when I was by the spill weir).

Sedge Warbler, Garden Warbler and a couple of Common Sands was as much as I had.

Yep that's about all I could muster yday Steve but a very different story today...

Having used my final half day leave, before I start my new job on Monday, to see what the SE winds and rain had done I was pretty disappointed after 1.5 hours to have seen nowt of note - then when I got to the small garden about 200yards west of the sailing club I heard an odd 'crest' singing - I had my suspicions but after 20mins I couldn't see it and was going to put it down to just an odd goldcrest when I thought I'd better listen to the song of Firecrest on my phone to remind me - and as I did out it popped about 8ft away a stonking male Firecrest!! The first Gailey record. It sang on and off btwn 09.30 and 11.15 at least but I didn't hear it in another attempt from 12.20-12.40 when I had to leave for work, happier than a pig in sh*t...B :)

Gutted tho that The Snapper is on holiday at the mo as he has worked Gailey rearly hard this year and doesnt deserve to miss that - and we have stood for many hours looking into that garden saying 'it should get something decent one day'

Last edited:
Extra News for the 8th May

Bar-tailed Godwit - Belvide on north shore this pm also reports of a possible Black Kite over in anoon and a Gannet over west at 16.00.

Grey Plover - Drayton Bassett north pit

Yep that's about all I could muster yday Steve but a very different story today...

Having used my final half day leave, before I start my new job on Monday, to see what the SE winds and rain had done I was pretty disappointed after 1.5 hours to have seen nowt of note - then when I got to the small garden about 200yards west of the sailing club I heard an odd 'crest' singing - I had my suspicions but after 20mins I couldn't see it and was going to put it down to just an odd goldcrest when I thought I'd better listen to the song of Firecrest on my phone to remind me - and as I did out it popped about 8ft away a stonking male Firecrest!! The first Gailey record. It sang on and off btwn 09.30 and 11.15 at least but I didn't hear it in another attempt from 12.20-12.40 when I had to leave for work, happier than a pig in sh*t...B :)

Gutted tho that The Snapper is on holiday at the mo as he has worked Gailey rearly hard this year and doesnt deserve to miss that - and we have stood for many hours looking into that garden saying 'it should get something decent one day'

Popped in on way to work at lunchtime..... blowing an absolute gale...only a couple of brave Coot on the "sea".....the trees in the garden were all at sea as well.
On the road which is lower than the resa it was relatively calm with the fields full of all the Geese that should have been on the water.
A few Lapwing and a nice Mistle Thrush as well as Sparrows and Chaffies in and around the hedges.
A nice flock of Swallow and House Martins having a good time quartering the field and keeping out of my lens...lol.
Also a small flock of Starling feeding and flying to the next part of the field.
Have to live in hope the Firecrest stays until the weather picks up.
Keith :t:

Attachments

• Canon 113 002.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    Canon 113 002.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 11
  • Canon 113 003.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    Canon 113 003.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Canon 113 005.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    Canon 113 005.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 4
  • Canon 113 006.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    Canon 113 006.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Canon 113 007.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    Canon 113 007.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
News for the 10th May

1s Arctic Tern - Belvide
3 Whimbrel - flew NW over Burton on Trent

News for the 9th May

Spotted Crake - Clayhanger Marsh on pool btwn disused railway and Pelsall Road briefly 07.20 only

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back