• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rockfowl's Eclectic Mix / Travels with Mark Andrews (7 Viewers)

Sorry Mark - just had to come back for seconds. I'm often delighted by much of what gets posted on this ever-expanding and increasingly exciting sub-forum that's developing down here in the basement - the variety of media and approach or philosophy; whatever you wanna call it and the many individual characters who reside here. Every now and then there's something that just knocks me off my feet - and these wagtails and cockyrocks do just that. They reveal so much about the birds and habitat that I feel truly enlightened by viewing them.
Cheers mate - that's why I visit this site!

Cock on the Rock. Gobsmackingly good fieldwork and the finished piece is pure joy. Have enjoyed these latest posts a great deal, great to see the process from start to finish, especially when it all gels so very well. Inspirational stuff...

Cock on the Rock. Gobsmackingly good fieldwork and the finished piece is pure joy. Have enjoyed these latest posts a great deal, great to see the process from start to finish, especially when it all gels so very well. Inspirational stuff...

I seem to have missed a bravura weeks posting on here what with Poland stuff, the collected wags and cock-of the-rock.

Gobsmacked to learn tha c-o-t-r is Jackdaw-sized. Intrigued also by the question of whether the finished pic loses some of the wowzip of the sketches- I wonder if it is becuase the birds in the finished version have a very clearly defined and complete outline, so they seem less mobile and more freeze-framed than the sketches?

Intrigued also by the question of whether the finished pic loses some of the wowzip of the sketches- I wonder if it is becuase the birds in the finished version have a very clearly defined and complete outline, so they seem less mobile and more freeze-framed than the sketches?

I've wondered about this for years. Most often I prefer sketches to finished paintings, for instance Rembrandt's sketches over his paintings. There's just something so lively about sketches at times, including these COTR. Maybe it is that you never mistake them for real, since they lack a third dimension, and instead you fill in the gaps with something from your own experience, making it seem even more full of life. Or maybe as Ed suggests you add a sense of movement since they don't have complete outlines. In my experience I tend to think it's because sketches are incomplete and viewers fill in some of that incompleteness themselves. Probably a crackpot theory but I do think the phenomenon is real. There's just something so striking and compelling about some sketches. I already mentioned my favorite above, number 2 of set 2.

Gobsmacked to learn tha c-o-t-r is Jackdaw-sized.

Yep, I thought they were like, Mmmm big mannikins, so they actually came across as bl**dy huge :eek!:

Intrigued also by the question of whether the finished pic loses some of the wowzip of the sketches- I wonder if it is becuase the birds in the finished version have a very clearly defined and complete outline, so they seem less mobile and more freeze-framed than the sketches?

I think so.

Or maybe as Ed suggests you add a sense of movement since they don't have complete outlines. In my experience I tend to think it's because sketches are incomplete and viewers fill in some of that incompleteness themselves. .

I certainly think that this is also true for some stuff, sketches certainly 'move' more

Last edited:
Thankyou all for your generous commentary!

P.S

Just been to see Username, who's once again warming the bed in the Acute Medical Unit, just in case anyone asks about the sudden silence. I am sure he'll be back treating us to a certain style of genius very soon.

besides the fill in by the viewer......I wonder if some of the sketch thing is the line and brush is more spontaneous, ie not from the thinking mind that says draw this way, and more from the subconscious mind or the "mind" of the body that just moves without mitigation from the thought. The kind of move you make when you are a black belt, where intent alone moves....... after all the practice and you don't have to think that pattern anymore......or the moves of a great dancer etc.

takes all the hours of practice to get there, then you can just draw....this is one of the reasons I'm interested in the flash painting work. I've been very interested in all the new brain research going on lately, and it sure shows the thinking mind and the body mind is a very different thing, and one big difference is the emotional or feeling content that influences what we do far more than any of us is aware of, esp in making decisions.

besides the fill in by the viewer......I wonder if some of the sketch thing is the line and brush is more spontaneous, ie not from the thinking mind that says draw this way, and more from the subconscious mind or the "mind" of the body that just moves without mitigation from the thought. The kind of move you make when you are a black belt, where intent alone moves....... after all the practice and you don't have to think that pattern anymore......or the moves of a great dancer etc.

takes all the hours of practice to get there, then you can just draw....this is one of the reasons I'm interested in the flash painting work. I've been very interested in all the new brain research going on lately, and it sure shows the thinking mind and the body mind is a very different thing, and one big difference is the emotional or feeling content that influences what we do far more than any of us is aware of, esp in making decisions.

You are a very perceptive lady Colleen..! :t:

All the best to you....:cat:

Please send my regards Mark - hope he's got his laptop.

Having just 'viewed' your kind regards...i thank you Tim...:t:

ps...i didn't have a lap-top in the hospital.....so i had to seek out my entertainment where i could...[the nurses and all were all brill]....'they' deserve a raise in wages for having to put up with me....[chuckle]...;)

Thankyou all for your generous commentary!

P.S

Just been to see Username, who's once again warming the bed in the Acute Medical Unit, just in case anyone asks about the sudden silence. I am sure he'll be back treating us to a certain style of genius very soon.

Your visit was unexpected and very appreciated Mark....as you know..:t:

ps..and ta for obtaining the ciggies.....:smoke:

See ya soon mate....[me is obviously not in hospital now....well it's obvious to me anyways]...chuckle...!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back