• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rockfowl's Eclectic Mix / Travels with Mark Andrews (4 Viewers)

rockfowl

Mark Andrews
As I've been promising to start a thread here for some time, and for variety of reasons have either been too lazy, too illl or away on tour, I have come to the conclusion that if I don't do it now, it'll never happen :smoke:

Anyway, as some of you are aware, I've not been very well recently due to having problems breathing ie I couldn't :eek!:

Due to this rather forced period of inactivity and twiddling thumbs as it were to create something and not really being able to get out and paint, I decided that I'd try some modelling/sculpture/whatever you want to call it.
Inspired , once again by the little gems in the form of Spoon-billed Sandpipers, I decided that I was going to make one, and as near to lifesize as I could. This then became two, 'cos I love it when they yawn and, because when it happens it's so quick and difficult to understand, I figured trying to make it, might help me understand.

Anyway, work in progress (the aim is to get them right and cast them, some of which will wing there way out to hopefully help raise money for the recovery team work). Comments and constructive critics most welcome, those fortunate to have watched em, let it rip ;)

Attachments

• DSCN8831.jpg
    DSCN8831.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Spooner1.jpg
    Spooner1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Spooner3.jpg
    Spooner3.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Spooner4.jpg
    Spooner4.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Spooner5.jpg
    Spooner5.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Absolutely terrific work(s) Mark - the yawner is far from that and gives that touch of reality and endearment which adds heaps to the character. (A bit of info about materials wouldn't go amiss - these looked cast in pewter or somesuch!) Best of luck in the retailing of 'em and when you say the funds are for the recovery team work, do you mean for the spoonies or for you and your lungs ?? ;) - best of luck to all, anyhoooo.
Great opening posts for the new thread - looking forward to many more.

LOL, No not for me, for the Spoon-billed Sand recovery team, though I'll have some too hopefully on my stand at the Birdfair

I've made them out of a two part resin, which probably doesn't really help the lungs, especially as I keep licking my fingers to smooth out bits (force of habit). The eyes are glass decoy jobbies and will be removed for the casting process, which I've never done but hey ho, live and learn :eek!:

The legs and feet are Least Sandpiper cast in pewter from the states to hold up the weight and I figured the casting process was going to be daunting enough (perhaps not) without worrying about the intricacies of toes etc.

Anyway, should be interesting, I've got quite into it, especially as I couldn't move more than a few feet, being attached to medical kit and all that :-O

Actually, thinking about it, maybe me and User will require extra funds to kit out the 'green room' at the hospital, sod the project ;)

Last edited:
Absolutely terrific work(s) Mark - the yawner is far from that and gives that touch of reality and endearment which adds heaps to the character. (A bit of info about materials wouldn't go amiss - these looked cast in pewter or somesuch!) Best of luck in the retailing of 'em and when you say the funds are for the recovery team work, do you mean for the spoonies or for you and your lungs ?? ;) - best of luck to all, anyhoooo.
Great opening posts for the new thread - looking forward to many more.

Yes very striking, and seem to have the character of individuals. But as Tim says, 'a bit of info about materials wouldn't go amiss'. I see some marks that make me think plaster. But give us a bit of a clue please.

Here, just found my materials file, they are sculpted out of this stuff - http://www.milliput.com/prod.htm

I did them in several stages as it actually goes off with the warmth of your hands fairly quickly so bill first, attached to head, head onto half body, then rear body and so on. Fair bit of knife and sanding work in between, decisions decisions!
I'm now in the dilemma of just which way to go, artistic licence or push the accuracy. There was an interesting recent post and an amazing photo on Dave Sibley's site - http://www.sibleyguides.com/2010/04/updates-on-spoon-billed-sandpiper/ The undersides of my bills don't look like this.... 'cos I've never seen it, well you wouldn't would you! But now I know it's there...Mmmmm

Last edited:
Those spooners are well wacky Mark...! Glad you've started up a thread...excellent stuff...:t:

So now there's two 'ill bunnies' posting...hurrah...etc...;)

ps...just got back from the vampire hospital with the news that they're gonna stick a whacking great needle in me kidney on friday...[think i texted you that info]..?

pps...when i asked the doc if i was gonna be 'knocked out' he said 'no...we need you to be awake during the procedure'...great:smoke:...always good to have something to look forward to....[chuckle]...:eek!:

looking very good indeed - though I would be tempted to turn the pair of them into fully-functional sugar tongs.

Glad to see you starting your own thread, great start.

Well done that man- head-on yawner looks very convincing-as Spoonie or sugar tongs. Nice to think of Derry taking afternoon tea, silver teapot n tongs..

I had one thought which hopefully falls into the constructive category- I reckon looking at it side-on, you might add some more to the back-end if you've got any milliput left: so it has a more attenuated rear compared to a stint, more vent and undertail visible behind where legs meet the body.

Well done that man- head-on yawner looks very convincing-as Spoonie or sugar tongs. Nice to think of Derry taking afternoon tea, silver teapot n tongs..

I had one thought which hopefully falls into the constructive category- I reckon looking at it side-on, you might add some more to the back-end if you've got any milliput left: so it has a more attenuated rear compared to a stint, more vent and undertail visible behind where legs meet the body.

I reckon your absolutely right Ed, in fact it's one of the things I look for in the field when they're asleep. I've done it and sandpapered it off several times as well :-O

I'm finding it quite an interesting process, I was rather naive with regards the dramatic differences between 2D and 3D apart from the obvious ones. Knowing a few tricks with a brush doesn't cover you when your sculpting, you can't hide things with shadow etc.

Thanks for your thoughts, it has been bothering me! Here is a recently sanded side on version of the 'dozy' one - as you probably know, they do sleep a lot! and a 'fairly' recent painting.

Attachments

• Spoonerside.jpg
    Spoonerside.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 71
  • Spooneroil.jpg
    Spooneroil.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I've done it and sandpapered it off several times as well :-O

Ha ha- its a challenge all right: I remember many years ago shocking my now wife by waking up in the middle of the night, hacksawing the head off a plaster and brass carving in the corner of the room and then going back to sleep.

Ha ha- its a challenge all right: I remember many years ago shocking my now wife by waking up in the middle of the night, hacksawing the head off a plaster and brass carving in the corner of the room and then going back to sleep.
One way to catch a lass, that's for sure!

There is such a danger of me getting the hacksaw out right now I'm going down the pub ;)

I've been sorting through some paintings today, so as we're on waders, here's a recently finished (I think, keep tinkering :smoke:) Marsh Sandpiper quartet - oil on canvas

Attachments

• Marsh-SandsBF.jpg
    Marsh-SandsBF.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 156
These sculptures are ace, Mark. What better species is there to model? Looking forward to seeing how these develop. I hope thas got a nice watercolour ready for me at' Birdfair.

Russ

Looking good mate. I can't remember if you know before we worked at Boulevard I was making moulds in all sorts of mediums, wood, rubber, resin, fibre glass ect so if I can be of any help you only have to ask. Look forward to seeing the finished work.

ATB, Neil.

There is such a danger of me getting the hacksaw out right now I'm going down the pub ;)

I've been sorting through some paintings today, so as we're on waders, here's a recently finished (I think, keep tinkering :smoke:) Marsh Sandpiper quartet - oil on canvas

Beautiful Marsh Sands, especially against the colour.

I've probably pushed my luck far enough on your Spoonie, but if you are tempted when when you get back from the pub..

no need to interfere with the carved detail on wingtips etc

just two cuts with the hacksaw as suggested in magenta should do it..

then rotate severed rear section about the yellow "x" and fill the gap..

Attachments

• Spooner 1.jpg
    Spooner 1.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 94
  • spooner 2.jpg
    spooner 2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 110
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back