• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sand in Swarovski NL Pure 8x32 (3 Viewers)

OldBins

United Kingdom
Unfortunately whilst taking a photo, the bins round my neck, rested in dry sand.

Now have sand in the right eyepiece (see pic)

Seems to be attached to the sides via a light oil and won’t dislodge using the rocket blower.

Is removing the sand a DIY job? Any ideas on how best to proceed?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpeg
    IMG_0266.jpeg
    777.1 KB · Views: 86
Yes, water is good, and you can lightly wipe away remnants (on plastic/metal, not glass!) or use a small hobby swab. Pay attention to the eyecup too, where blowing grit once got into mine (SLC 56) between the two metal sleeves (it gets windy in the mountains here). Those are coated with some sort of light grease, but a gentle wipe left enough behind that I didn't worry about replenishing it. Swaro might tell us what they use if it were needed.

If water from the faucet doesn't wash them away I'd probably roll the corner of a kleenex (tissue) into a point and carefully flick them off one-by-one. Making sure to never exert even the slightest downward pressure on the lens.

I live in a beach town and sand is the worst - the mortal enemy of optics! Even being super careful it seems to find its way into things like the threads of rubber eyecups

First try running water. Any remaining then try and remove with a moist cotton bud, maybe even pick out some bits stuck in grooves using a moistened cocktail stick. Just be very careful, you don't want to rub grains of sand across the glass surface. I probably carry iyt this procedure about once a week, living beside a beach then it is almost unavoidable to get sand stuck to my binoculars.

A small blob of blu-tak on the end of a cocktail stick can also be used to very carefully lift away grains of sand from difficult spots - but avoid the lenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back