• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeking a good set of 10x42 binoculars for coastal use (1 Viewer)

CactusBob

I am a docent and am looking for a decent set of binoculars. I will be using the binoculars for bird and mammal identification along the California coast. I will be using the binoculars primarily from land but on the odd occasion also from sea. For my needs it seems that 10x42 would serve me best (but I am open to suggestions) as I will be using the binoculars by hand and rarely tripod mounted.

My wish list:
  • 10x42
  • $1200 or less
  • Good warranty
  • No permanently affixed lens covers (just a personal preference as I do not like them)
  • Waterproof would be a nice-to-have as fog is likely as is occasional sea spray

I have been reading reviews for a while and have fallen a bit into analysis paralysis. Can anyone offer me some suggestions based on my wish list and based upon my intended use?

Welcome, Bob. there will be some good answers after the weekend, I think everybody goes birding. I have limited experience with the 10x42 size, having used only a Nikon SE. Optically I think it is excellent, one of the very best made, yet, because it is the relatively simple Porro prism type, falls inside your price range. It is not waterproof however. People have varying opinions on it's weather resistance, I have not used it in bad weather myself so cannot say.
Ron

Hi Bob and welcome to BF!

I use 10x42 and having had previous experience of using non-waterproof bins in a wet environment, I have to advise you to definitely go with waterproof!

Salt spray is a real issue, even on clifftops, and I personally wouldn't risk beautiful bins like the Nikon porros. I admit, I may be a little biased, as my last bins suffered water ingress, but I think, seeing as you're going to be using them for a coastal role, its worth taking note.

Likewise, I think [though of course I would] that 10x42 is the best compromise - I find that looking out to sea from land, 8x doesn't give you enough reach, whereas 12x is just too hard to hold. On a boat, of course, 8x would be better, [assuming its a small rolling boat, not a big one] but 10x should still do the job ok.

As to which to use, well, you get a fair few mid and low end bins over there which we don't and I have no experience of, so I'll just offer two suggestions; one of the newer 'Chinese' EDs [Zen Ray, Vortex etc], or as an alternative, keep your eyes open for a second hand 'Alpha'. With a new wave of bins such as the Nikon EDG and Swarovski's new EL and SLC out, there are a lot of the older versions moving into the used market - these are excellent bins, will last a lifetime and are very well built.

Finally, the old adage of optics advice; everyone's needs, eyes, and hands are different, so try a few out and buy the one that works best for you.

Good luck! :t:

I am a docent and am looking for a decent set of binoculars. I will be using the binoculars for bird and mammal identification along the California coast. I will be using the binoculars primarily from land but on the odd occasion also from sea. For my needs it seems that 10x42 would serve me best (but I am open to suggestions) as I will be using the binoculars by hand and rarely tripod mounted.

My wish list:
  • 10x42
  • $1200 or less
  • Good warranty
  • No permanently affixed lens covers (just a personal preference as I do not like them)
  • Waterproof would be a nice-to-have as fog is likely as is occasional sea spray

I have been reading reviews for a while and have fallen a bit into analysis paralysis. Can anyone offer me some suggestions based on my wish list and based upon my intended use?

Zeiss 10x42 FL's. Get them on E-bay used for about $1200.00. The SV's 10x50 are better but they are $2500.00. Here is one that sold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZEISS-VICTORY-F...853?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a120adf55

and here is one that is still active.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zeiss-Victory-F...=180691328853&ps=63&clkid=1569105001549395016

Last edited:
Cabela's Euro 10 x 42 Binoculars might be what you are looking for. they are made by Meopta and are on sale now in Cabela's Bargain Cave. I believe Frank D. can give a report on them and may already have done so in this forum.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/_/N-1100053?WTz_l=SBC;MMcat104791680

Click on Binoculars.

Bob

I tried the Cabela's Euro binoculars in Cabela's when I was there Friday. i didn't think they were near as good as the Zeiss FL's. Just my opinion though. Try for yourself if you can.

Thank you all for your input.

I had guessed that a waterproof pair would be important considering how I intended to use them. I had not considered purchasing a used pair as I tend to be very picky about my equipment and take extremely good care of it. I notice the link provided for the Zeiss sound as though they are pristine.

I am not sure how much I will be able to try before I buy. I live on the central coast of California and there just are not many options for binoculars in the area. With that in mind I am trying to do as much research online as I can. I know this is certainly not the ideal approach but a lack of local availability may make it the most reasonable means of research for me.

I will do some reading today on the Zeiss.

As for the Cabela's, I had actually been looking at the Meopta Meostar 10x42 as they seem to have quite favorable reviews from what I have seen thus far. I am wondering though how much difference I would see between alpha and non-alpha glass.

Thanks again for all of the input. I am trying to make a decision this week if at all possible.

Dennis's suggestion of the 10x42 FL as the best within your price range is something that I agree with. You can typically find the FLs at discounted or lower prices in comparison to the older Swaro ELs or Leica Ultravids. Another to consider in your price range is the Nikon LXL 10x42. I have seen them in the $800-$900 range. They were considered Nikon's Alpha bins until the EDGs were introduced.

The Meopta Meostars have always been a favorite of mine. Most folks place them a step below the likes of Zeiss, Swaro, Leica and Nikon but it takes fairly careful study to pick up the differences. With the introduction of the Meostar HDs (most likely) you should be able to find the original Meostars at discounte prices shortly.

Well I seriously upped my budget and think I have settled on what I want to buy: Nikon EDG 10x42. I am hoping they are as good as the reviews I have read about them and I am really impressed with the warranty.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Well I seriously upped my budget and think I have settled on what I want to buy: Nikon EDG 10x42. I am hoping they are as good as the reviews I have read about them and I am really impressed with the warranty.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Great choice, I have been very satisfied with mine.

Let us know how you like them.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back