• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Signs of spring? (3 Viewers)

Spring

Pretty much feeling of spring here too, with plenty of Red-rumped Swallows coming through and several Hoopoes in the gardens. Lots of Black kite & Short-toed Eagles migrating too.

Had my first Sand Martin and White Wagtail on patch yesterday.

Notice no Sand Martins mentioned on Birdguides the last few days, is this because a) none have been reported or b) the early light influx of a week or so back has fizzled and there aren't really many about or c) because there's plenty about and B'guides now no longer deem them notable to put news out on?

Just wondering ...

Certainly more migrants of note today - good numbers of Wheatears along the south coast, Willow Warbler in Cheshire, a couple of Sandwich Terns, Garganey and Ospreys reported. Just wish the wind would change direction. I'm fed up with winter now!!

CB

Last edited:
We might have a to endure a bit more. There are not that many Daffodils around, are they late? I had nt seen any lambs yet, although I have not been out in the last few days. I have seen Magpies and Crows carrying twigs since February. Even bird song appears to be a bit less than usual.

They had a Wheatear at Marshside on the 9th of March, new Chiffchaff at Martin Mere over the last couple of days and also a Swallow there. Wheatear recorded in Lancaster area as well. Little Ringed Plovers have turned up at Alston Wetlands in East Lancs as well as somewhere along the Wyre coast.

Certainly more migrants of note today - good numbers of Wheatears along the south coast, Willow Warbler in Cheshire, a couple of Sandwich Terns, Garganey and Ospreys reported. Just wish the wind would change direction. I'm fed up with winter now!!

CB

This March is supposed to have been the coldest since either 1966 or the winter of 1962-63. How has this winter been overall? What does a colder than average march mean for birds overall regardless of whether they are resident, migrating, passage or vagrant?

We might have a to endure a bit more. There are not that many Daffodils around, are they late? I had nt seen any lambs yet, although I have not been out in the last few days. I have seen Magpies and Crows carrying twigs since February. Even bird song appears to be a bit less than usual.

We've had Daffodils flowering for a couple of weeks but some areas of Cheshire have had them earlier than others. The poor weather has certainly reduced the amount of birdsong so far this month.

CB

What does a colder than average march mean for birds overall regardless of whether they are resident, migrating, passage or vagrant?

The only noticable difference i've noticed is the lateness of spring migrants although good numbers of spring overshoots seem to be in the South West of England

CB

This March is supposed to have been the coldest since either 1966 or the winter of 1962-63. How has this winter been overall? What does a colder than average march mean for birds overall regardless of whether they are resident, migrating, passage or vagrant?

By now the nesting season should be under way. Many birds rely on worms, grubs, insects etc for feeding their young. Being cold blooded these will not be active so any birds which are nesting at the moment may be unable to find enough food and nestlings will die

Lateness

The only noticable difference i've noticed is the lateness of spring migrants although good numbers of spring overshoots seem to be in the South West of England

CB

Possibly due to the rather unusually cold, wet and windy weather we've had down here in Southern Iberia for the past Month and a half.

By now the nesting season should be under way. Many birds rely on worms, grubs, insects etc for feeding their young. Being cold blooded these will not be active so any birds which are nesting at the moment may be unable to find enough food and nestlings will die

Plus some insect eaters especially adult hirundines would be quite likely to perish if they can't find enough food out there (combination of not much food available + lot of effort to find it + continuing low temperatures requiring more energy)

I just hope our little Swallows hold back until these Arctic conditions have finished.One of our local Swallow prs always arrives at the end of March,very early,just hope she stops in warmer climes for a few weeks.Our farmers have lost many lambs,they are dead under gigantic snowdrifts buried along with their mothers,very sad.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back