• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Signs of spring? (1 Viewer)

Had my first and so far only Chiffchaff in Sheffield on Sunday just gone although many sites across East Lancs have reported them.

Garganey at Martin Mere. Whinchat in Fleewood. Tree Pipits on the Wirral and one at Heysham. Willow Warblers trickling in.

Really? Not round my way, CB!

I think (must check my records) this is the latest date when I've still to see any.

Last year it was May 1st before they arrived here

saw a brimstone today, not quite my first butterfly of the year as there was a red admiral around last month

Chiffchaff have been pouring into the north Wirral for the last week, Willow Warbler arrived a few days ago and are singing all over and all three breeding hirundine numbers have 'exploded'. Wheatear and White Wagtail numbers seem to be low but it's been another Ring Ouzel spring so far. Yesterday saw the first Yellow Wagtail and the first Cuckoo was on Friday. Has anyone else noted a lack of Common Sandpiper?

Chris

Finally some migrants,2 swallows over my house today redstart 2 cuckoo & a tree pipit singing in the new forest.

Steve.

A weary swallow off the sea at West Bexington yesterday.

And I noticed that, at last, frogs look like they may get spawning together in our garden pond in Surrey. I though they might have given up as they did last year.

Yesterday in Barnsley the floodgates finally opened. Four Swallows, one House martin and Two Sand martins came over.

At Old Moor RSPB reserve Sand Martins and Swallows, and both Common & Arctic terns as well as Blackcap, Willow warbler & a Common sandpiper.

And it was warm!!

Baby Geese at Lea Valley today, Ducks fighting over females, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and Willow Warbler all sing and the first Sedge Warblers have arrived on the local patch at lea Valley. Also my first walk this year without a coat...Spring is here!

First Willow Warbler heard on my way to work on Tuesday. Chiff Chaffs everywhere and I think I heard (though didn't spot) a Common Tern this morning.

I visited the Wirral on Sunday and Wheatears were everywhere. Then I managed to get a Swift before my first Sand Martin and House Martin. My first Swallow was on the 10th of April in my local area of East Lancs. First Chiffchaff on 7th April but in Sheffield. First Willow Warbler was in my local area and that on the 15th of April. Sedge Warbler, Blackcap and Whitethroat i had on the Sunday 21st of April.

There appears to be a number of Whinchat, Redstart and Tree Pipit going through and not too many Cuckoos? How late are the birds this spring?

A weary swallow off the sea at West Bexington yesterday.

And I noticed that, at last, frogs look like they may get spawning together in our garden pond in Surrey. I though they might have given up as they did last year.

No spawn and frog activity gone.

2nd year without tadpoles

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back