• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So Hows your 2006 Yearlist Going then ? (1 Viewer)

Standing in one place today for about 5 minutes I saw and heard pileated woodpecker, hairy woodpecker, northern flicker, and yellowbellied sapsucker (the latter two are new for the year list). They were all drumming and making quite a fuss.

63. eastern meadowlark
64. woodcock
65. tree swallow
66. eastern phoebe
67. (yellow-shafted) northern flicker
68. winter wren
69. northern pintail
70. purple finch
71. white-throated sparrow
72. yellow-bellied sapsucker

Went out this evening for some owling. Found four new birds for the year, bringing my Year List up to 290.

287. Greater Yellowlegs
288. Solitary Sandpiper
289. Prairie Warbler
290. Barred Owl

Got a great look at the owl. After dark a large bird flew in front of my car. I got out with my search light and scanned the darkened forest. The owl was sitting in a tree not far off the road--he sat there while I studied him at leisure.

Dave

Absoloute belter today...

150 - Alpine Swift!!!!

Got the Barnston bird, stunning views, at one point it flew so low & close that I managed to get a piccie of it on my mobile phone without using any optical aid what so ever!!! Totally awesome bird...my 4th lifer this year.

A few nice new uns from Costa Rica

displaying Bare-necked Umbrellabird - just unbeatable
Three-wattled Bellbird
Snowcap
Resplendant Quetzal
Black-crested Coquet
Spectacled Antpitta - a close second to the bellbird. The guide doesn't do it justice
Ochre-breasted Antpitta - as above, a real little cutie
Zeledonia
Nightingale Wren
Scaly-throated Leaftosser
Barred Parrakeet
Peg-billed Finch
Bairds Trogon
Lesser Ground Cuckoo
Long-tailed Mannakin
Orange-tailed Mannakin
Firey-throated Hummer
Violet Sabrewing etc
Volcano Hummer

among the best

plus a special mention for Wood Thrush - a cracking species that I missed in the UK. Wasn't really expecting it but what a great suprise

150: spent the morning at a local GP.

Common Tern
Sedge Warbler
Cuckoo

got back home to find a White Stork circling over the village! 60 seconds later I probably wouldn't have seen it.

Birding my local patch (St.Joseph oxbow lakes area) this Saturday morning I was able to add four year birds to my Missouri List.

145. Great Egret x3
146. Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - a stunning adult male flycatching from a utility wire perch on the perimeter of Lake Contrary, St.Joseph, MO. (Rare bird for NW Missouri)
147. Yellow-headed Blackbird x20, they migrate through the Saint Joseph area, but do nest at Squaw Creek NWR just 35 miles north of here.
148. White-faced Ibis x 11, also a migrant

Then later, about noon time:
149. Chimney Swift, flying over our yard in Saint Joseph, Missouri

Trying to get out a bit. Had 20 minutes birding all week, worked 60 hours again. Found
99 Louisiana Waterthrush
100 Broad Winged Hawk

Did not have anyone to confirm that last one, but it was odd for anything else.

A few hours in the field today got me Wheater and Yellow Wag, with a White Wag thrown in for a bonus.

150. Wheatear
151. yellow Wagtail

Arctic Skua, Whimbrel, Grey Plover, Common Tern, Whitethroat, Tree Pipit and Yellow Wagtail makes for a SEVEN-tick day!! Spring really springing!

Local list at 146 now.

Forgot about the Savannah Sparrow from Tuesday!

Was visiting Bard College (upstate NY) today, and walking around got:

133. Chipping Sparrow

Last edited:
A cracking morning at Frampton-on-Severn again, plenty of migrants about, and it wa warm for a change too!!

154: Cuckoo
155: Nightingale
156: Whitethroat
157: Sedge Warbler

Also plenty of Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap and Swallow with a few House Martin and Yellow Wagtail as well!

Nipped out on the bike this morning & got 4 more:

148 - Tree Pipit
149 - Redstart
150 - Dartford Warbler
151 - Woodlark.

Quality stuff!

Cheers,

John.

Playing catchup now after nearly two weeks out of the country...

Quality in the shape of Fowlmere Hoopoe and London Alpine Swift, and quantity of common migrants in the Lee Valley takes me to

UK: 170
East London: 117

last chance to go birding over the bank hol weekend and had a quite a good day.

White Wagtail, Common Sandpiper & Whitethroat this morning (while looking for a Redstart)

had to do a guided walk this afternoon at work and heard a Lsr Spotted Woodpecker calling, slight detour to see it but dont think anyone noticed :-O had just about given up hope of seeing one this year so a very nice surprise.

A trip locally and into the upper reaches of the North Yorkshire Moors produced

132. Common Sandpiper
133. Dipper
134. Black Grouse
135. Ring Ousel

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back