• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So Hows your 2006 Yearlist Going then ? (1 Viewer)

My goal today was to see ten new species of birds for the year in order to break the 300 mark. I did meet my goal, but it was hard work, especially for the last one. Now up to 300 on my Year List.

291. Tennessee Warbler
292. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
293. Blue-winged Warbler
294. Common Yellowthroat
295. White-eyed Vireo
296. Red-eyed Vireo
297. Yellow Warbler
298. Northern Parula
299. Baltimore Oriole
300. Yellow-throated Warbler

Dave

Saturday morning I saw my year's first Sharp-shinned Hawk, having a Starling for breakfast.
On Easter morning my year's first Chipping Sparrows.

An exciting weekend for me. I added White-winged Dove and Inca Dove for the year and Kentucky Warbler, Broad-winged Hawk, and Swallow-tailed Kite to my life list. They were all seen from my parents' suburban backyard in Baytown, Texas. That brings me up to 119 for the year and 149 lifers.

Had to pull the car over today when we spotted three sandhill cranes overhead. When we got out to watch the sandhills a northern harrier tried to steal our attention by doing aerial maneavers (flipping onto its back and diving). It was all very cool.

73. common loon
74. merlin
75. sandhill crane
76. lesser scaup

After missing 2 seriously good patch ticks (Whimbrel & Shag - both also year ticks!!), more than made up for with...

151 - Hoopoe!!

In Shropshire too!!! My second Salop Hoopoe in 2 consecutive years...an absoloute stonker too!! ;)

Few more over Easter, but had to do the family thing so didn't get out much...
125. Willow Warbler (actually, got this a while back but forgot to add it)
126. Yellow Wagtail
127. Peregrine (2 in one day)
128. Common Tern

Its at foxwood

21:57 17/04/06 Hoopoe Shrops Foxwood
still showing this evening on the edge of Catherton Common in horse paddocks near farm SO635789, just north of second cattle grid

^ Beat me to it!!!
Tricky place to find, you're better approaching it from Ludlow end, head out on A49 & then turn left at the island. Then turn left again in Clee Hill and stop at the second cattle grid!! The bird is very mobile, but due to the habitat (high hedges, no access, private land etc.), it kindda works in your favour. We saw it well in flight 3 times & perched in a tree twice - totally awesome bird, way better looker than the Wenlock bird last year!!
Went to Bridges today and got....

152 - Pied Flycatcher. (2x male).
153 - Redstart. (3x male).

....and then at VP...

154 - Blackcap. (at bloody last!!!...missed a Whimbrel there yesterday though, but picked up a Sanderling at Chelmarsh - a good county tick for ya there, Will ;) ).

yes hoopoe would be a good lifer and sanderling a good year/county bird, but back to school tomorrow, so that is effectively the end of birding until half term and other holidays... :-C :C :storm:

Easter Sunday afternoon I added two year birds for Missouri

150. Lincoln's Sparrow, along Rangeline Road just east of Stewartsville, Missouri
151. Swainson's Hawk, two perched in a tree along the above road.

Then on Monday, taking some birders to the Dunn Ranch prairie chicken lek near Eagleville, Missouri, I added:

152. Greater Prairie Chicken, 25 males and one female. (The courtship/breeding is winding down.)
153. Henslow's Sparrow
154. Grasshopper Sparrow
155. Upland Sandpiper

156. House Wren, in a friend's yard near Jameson, Missouri

157. Osprey, dining on a recently caught fish at the Poose Conservation Area.

158. Common Yellowthroat found at Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Sumner, Missouri.

159. Willet at Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri
160. Western Sandpiper at Muskrat Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri
161. Eared Grebe at Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back