• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Africa revisited, Felines and Critters of the Night (5 Viewers)

We saw a couple of Sharpies in Kruger so with luck you should be fine.

John

I think that was the only thing other than cheetah that your naturetrek Mammals tour got that we missed John - the impression I got was you need to be in pretty specific parts of the park for them (oop north?). We went looking for them in one chunk and dipped (but fluked black rhino so I can't complain!).

I think that was the only thing other than cheetah that your naturetrek Mammals tour got that we missed John - the impression I got was you need to be in pretty specific parts of the park for them (oop north?). We went looking for them in one chunk and dipped (but fluked black rhino so I can't complain!).

Our guide reckoned ours was as far south as he'd ever seen one, so we were a bit lucky. As you say Oop North is the way to go.

John

23 July. Kruger, Pafuri & Shingwedzi.

An hour pre-dawn, brewed up a coffee, tiptoed over to my night cam, zipped through the images ...nearly spit the coffee all over the screen! An animal I had not even thought about, an animal I have never even seen, but there it was, 2.30 a.m. slinking past, the spots and stripes of an African Civet! Hmm, what a little stunner, no prizes for guessing what I would be up to the following night!

A little later, still under the cover of darkness, we slipped out of Punda Maria, the destination for the day being the riverine forests and savanna at Pafuri, the most northerly extreme of Kruger National Park and right on the borders on both Zimbabwe and Mozambique. The journey up is largely through thick bush, fairly uneventful for the most part, but with the rise of the sun, bits and bobs did include a Steenbok, a Pearl-spotted Owlet, several Long-tailed Shrikes and large flocks of Golden-breasted Buntings, a total of at least 60 encountered.

About 15 km short of Pafuri however, the action began in style - blocking the road, a pride of Lions having a morning snooze. One big male, one lioness and two small cubs, all splayed out across the road, presumably soaking up the warmth from the dark surface. Morning rush hour with class, just us and the Lions, the pride eventually staggered to their feet and ambled along for a hundred metres or so before veering off into the bush.

With the landscape now transforming, Baobabs appearing on rocky ridges, concentrations of Impala increasing and a few Kudu also emerging, we continued the dozen or so kilometres more to reach the broad Luvuvhu Valley. And what a splendid sight awaiting us, the area far more open and the numbers of animals most impressive, Warthogs trotting past, immense herds of Impala, gatherings of Nyala and occasional Plains Zebra and Kudu. Gangs of Baboon were trawling the area, climbing termite mounts and rooting through scrub, clear signs of Elephants were apparent everywhere. To this backdrop, the first birds of Pafuri - both Yellow-billed and Red-billed Hornbills, a flock of Green Wood-Hoopoes, roving Red-billed Buffalo-Weavers, abundant Meve's Starlings and much more.

First port of call in this excellent area was the bridge of the Luvuvhu River. Ignoring for a moment the Hippopotamus that were flopped across sandbanks, this point allows both good observations of the river channels and the adjacent riverine forest, but also the skies above. A key site for assorted swifts, the presence of large flocks of wheeling Little Swifts was a good omen, hopefully the rarer cousins would be amongst them. The haunting calls of African Fish Eagles echoed from downriver, Wire-tailed Swallows flitted low over the river, Lesser Striped Swallow also present for a while. In the skies above, my scans eventually reaped the rewards - two Horus Swift (not very common here in the southern winter) and, much later, the real prize, two Mottled Spinetails and three Bohm's Spinetails, the latter a little bat-like thing, truly a speciality of northern Kruger. African Pied Wagtail and Black-headed Oriole also seen at this locality.

Time for breakfast, I thought. The picnic site a few kilometres east of the bridge was a most exquisite locality for morning munchies - water boiling away on the stove, sandwiches disappearing up a tree in the paws of a thieving Vervet, occasional Nyalas wandering through, ranks of Crocodiles and Hippos in the adjacent river. And what birds, the freedom to wander without car rendering it all the better, Water Thick-knees and Goliath Heron on the river, Tropical Boubou in riverine scrub, Ashy Flycatcher and Southern Black Flycatcher in the trees, Kurrichane Thrush hopping across the picnic site itself, plus several Brown-crowned Tchagras and little flocks of Blue Waxbills and Red-billed Firefinches. Topping the lot, however, a right bevy of chat-type things - three White-throated Robin-Chats, one glorious Red-capped Robin-Chat, four Eastern Bearded Scrub-Robins and one White-browed Scrub-Robin, fantastic all. Also Black-backed Puffback, Meve's Starlings, Green-backed Camaroptera and assorted added extras. Yup, one of the better places to stop for breakfast.

Heading on, we meandered further east along the river, the area not only rich in large mammals, particularly Zebra and Impala, but also remaining excellent for birds, flocks of White-crested Helmet Shrikes soon encountered, followed by a loose flock of White-crowned Shrikes. Also noted Chinspot Batis, Tinkling Cisticola, Brown-hooded Kingfisher and loads of Emerald-spotted Wood-Doves. Journey's end was Crook's Corner, vast open sand banks on the confluence of the Luvuvhu and Limpopo Rivers. A hide-out for bandits from days long gone by, a short paddle across the river takes you to Zimbabwe directly ahead or Mozambique to the right, in both directions via considerable numbers of Crocodiles! Far better to just relax and enjoy the birds, White-fronted Bee-eaters on riverside perches, Golden-tailed Woodpecker and Terrestrial Brownbul in the woodland behind, White-crowned Lapwing on the sand banks out front, nice all round.

And with that, we began our journey south, a final loop though the Pafuri area adding a Red-crested Korhaan, several Brown-hooded Parrots and, hitching a lift on Elephants, a flock of Red-billed Oxpeckers.

Kruger is a vast place, distances are deceptively large and there are always plenty of distractions to slow you down - for that reason, our next stop for the night was Shingwedzi, not that far, but situated south of a large area of dense Mopani woodland, just about the hardest of the Kruger habitats to see anything in. We traversed this area with predictably little seen, the highlights being Kori Bustard and, even more so, five splendid Roan Antelopes, not always an easy species to find in Kruger.

I knew very little about Shingwedzi prior to arrival, but was to be pleasantly surprised - not only was it convenient for Kanniedood Dam, but it was also going to provide my best night in Kruger. Though quite late by the time we arrived, we still managed to squeeze a couple of hours in at the dam, very nice for for both birds and mammals, the former including Saddle-billed Storks and flocks of Yellow-billed Storks, the latter including Hippos, Waterbuck, Common Reedbuck and another Sharpe's Grysbok. A big herd of Elephants blocked the road on route back to camp, I was a little late, a definate no-no in Kruger!

Dark descended, my tent was right at the camp's fringe, grassland and scattered acacia just beyond. I had high hopes of critters of the night appearing, a certain spotted and stripey thing now top of my list. I did not have long to wait - less than an hour after dark, shuffling sounds, I clicked on my light. Bingo! African Civet directly ahead! What a corker, nosing about between two acacias, totally unfussed by my presence. And then, stone me, another trotted in, brilliant. And if that weren't enough, two Large-spotted Genets also appeared, plus one Scrub Hare. With pictures of all, plus my night cam now set, I retired to my sleeping bag. Mighty roars of a Lion as a lullaby, not quite so soothing as the standard, but superb. Goodnight.

Last edited:
Night...

Attachments

• African Civet za 2.jpg
    African Civet za 2.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Large Spotted Genet za 1.jpg
    Large Spotted Genet za 1.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Giraffe sunset za.jpg
    Giraffe sunset za.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Morning rush hour...

Attachments

• Kruger Lion za 1.jpg
    Kruger Lion za 1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Kruger Lion za 3.jpg
    Kruger Lion za 3.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 34
  • Kruger Lion za 4.jpg
    Kruger Lion za 4.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Kruger Lion za 6.jpg
    Kruger Lion za 6.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Day...

Attachments

• Impala za 1.jpg
    Impala za 1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Plains Zebra za 2.jpg
    Plains Zebra za 2.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Nyala za 2.jpg
    Nyala za 2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Nyala za 4.jpg
    Nyala za 4.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 38
24 July. Kruger, Shingwedzi & Satara.

A pre-dawn look at the night cam's capture, more shots of the African Civet, heaps of Black-backed Jackals. The very vocal Lion had not wandered past, but was still calling not far off.

Leaving the camp shortly after, the first sighting of the day was a Spotted Hyena, shortly to be followed by four Nyala and, as usual, loads of Impala. Dawn on the Kanniedood Dam, a backdrop of grunting Hippos and Baboons clambering out of roost trees, birds a typical mix of water and bush, the tallies including four African Fish Eagles, 40 Yellow-billed Storks, three Openbill Storks, four Goliath Herons and, first of the trip, two Giant Kingfishers and one Green-backed Heron. Also bumped into Swainson's Spurfowl, plus Natal Francolin and Crested Francolin.

From the dam, we opted to take a rather more remote route south, a loop hat veered to the east along a gravel/stone road. This was a slight miscalculation - although we did see flocks of Cut-throat Finches and Golden-breasted Buntings, plus Double-banded Sandgrouse and five stunning Southern Ground Hornbills, we also shredded our tire mid-way, the sharp stones ripping into the side rim and rendering it a write-off. The official action one takes with such eventuality in Kruger is to wait until help arrives in the form of a passing tourist who can then alert rangers at the next camp to come to your aid. Hadn't seen another tourist all morning, so definately wasn't going to do that! Hoping no rangers would happen upon us, or Lion for that matter, I emptied the boot of our considerable piles of junk and set to work, a full ten minutes later and a nice new tire was in place. Onward, we were on our way again! Slight compensation for our misfortune were a herd of eight Tsessebe and an African Hawk Eagle.

Camps in Kruger can mend punctures, but ours was beyond that, so with some reluctance, I turned to the west at Letaba and left Kruger to buy a new tire in the nearest town. Thereafter to save some time, but meaning I missed the very good Olifants area, I travelled south outside the park and re-entered at Orpen, directly east of Satara, my destination for the night and an excellent area of open grass savannah.

Satara Camp is rather large and quite popular, but its leafy nature also means it is good for birding, tame Red-billed Hornbills mingling with Burchell's Starlings outside our chalet (a touch of luxury for us this night), along with Grey Go-away Bird, Arrow-marked Babblers, Green Wood-Hoopoes and a variety of the more usual birds.

I didn't really spend long looking round the camp though. Instead, I took a drive to the grasslands and scattered acacia woods to the immediate east. A most splendid zone, birds in the acacia areas including Orange-breasted Bush-Shrike, both Brown-capped and Black-capped Tchagra and a flock of White-crested Helmet-Shrikes, while grassland species included typical birds such as Sabota Lark, Tawny-flanked Prinia and Tinkling Cisticola, with Ayre's Hawk Eagle and Red-crested Korhaan also noted. Highlight of the day however was not a bird, but again a mammal - crossing an area of open grassland, three lumbering hulks plodding along just to my left, adult White Rhinos in their full glory. Superb animals, but also a little sobering to see - poachingis reaching astronomical levels in Kruger and throughout South Africa, a military campaign now kicking in to try and tackle the highly armed gangs that are operating. As of the end of July, over 65 White Rhinos in Kruger alone had been slaughtered in 2012 so their horns could be hacked off, a terrible number. And here stood three, adults with magnificent horns, difficult to enjoy the moment knowing those very horns would likely lead to their eventual demise.

Back at camp, Tree Squirrel scampered, Little Swifts circled above, African Scops Owls began to hoot as darkness fell. Set the camera, retired for the night.

Three White Rhinos.

Average horn 4 kg or so, black market price up to US$65,000 per kilogram. Value of these animals dead, almost US$800,000.

Small wonder the South Africans are fighting an uphill battle.

Attachments

• White Rhino za 1.jpg
    White Rhino za 1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 40
  • White Rhino za 2.jpg
    White Rhino za 2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 39
The army is needed, it is effectively a war with the poachers heavily armed. Many measures now in place, even preparing to drop tracker dogs in by chopper, the dogs fitted with GPS and trained to follow human scent. When a target is found, follow-up troops will come in by chopper. Saw one army convoy heading out, looked more like something I saw in Mozambique during the long war!

25 July. Kruger, Satara & Lower Sabie.

Out to the grasslands east of Satara again, another morning amble which turned out most pleasant. First bird of the day was Burchell's Coucal in grass just outside Satara, soon after followed by several Double-banded Sandgrouse, a Pearl-spotted Owlet and a large flock of vultures that included both White-headed Vulture and Hooded Vulture. Birding highlight of the morning, however, was the crossing of a small gully, a stream trickling through and vegetation hanging over. One the one side, an assortment of usual birds such as Three-banded Plover and Black-winged Stilt, but on the other there was a bird that is frequently more than elusive - one adult White-backed Night Heron huddled on the bank under the branches of a tree.

Next highlight was of the feline nature - poking up from long grass, a pair of ears and spotted crown, one Cheetah watching distant Impala with intent. Stopped and watched, a long wait of seeing basically tops of ears or absolutely nothing, but then sudenly the cat was up and staring with new intensity, a group of Impala had strayed a little closer. Then, POW, the cat exploded into action, dust flying as the Cheetah accelerated, the Impala erupting into flight, scattering and pounding off. Cheetah veered towards one, basically a bullet in pursuit of high velocity bouncing bean! Through acacia, through long grass, vanished, the outcome I was not to see! I think however the Cheetah was not successful, the Impala seemed to be putting distance on the cat a last glimpse.

Phew, that was a bit of exhilaration, must be time for breakfast! Back at camp, both Greater Blue-eared and Cape Glossy Starlings, plus a Hoopoe and several Tree Squirrels.

The basic plan for today was to continue southward, stopping for the night at Lower Sabie. We had gone only about 20 km when a couple of parked cars on a side track led us to the second Cheetah of the day, another case of ears and half a head poking up from the long grass. We didn't stop. A little further, a large flock of swallows over a vlei prompted another pause, the results being a dozen or so Lesser Striped Swallows, two Mosque Swallows and several Wire-tailed Swallows, quite nice. Even more notable were stops at two waterholes - at the first, a White Rhino was just arriving for a drink, the beast making a most slow maneuver to reach the spot it wanted, while at the second, it was just a feast for the eyes - Goliath Herons, Black Crakes, African Jacanas, but most spectacular of the lot, one enormous Crocodile on an island in the centre with an Impala sticking out of its mouth, four legs splayed out in all direction!!! That was a surprise!

Also stopped for coffee at a picnic site, where the highlight was packs of Baboons attacking families to steal their food, with flocks of Yellow-billed Hornbills, a Crested Barbet and assorted starlings doing the same with rather less vicious methods. The next picnic site was also in some disarray with woman shrieking in the loo - a Baboon had somehow got in there and was none too happy at being stuck! African women are rather more more adept at dealing with this than their European tourist counterparts ... armed with broom, two went marching in, ripples of laughter kept floating out, interspersed by yells, out came one running Baboon, glancing over his shoulder, no messing with them ladies!

By mid-afternoon, we reached the Sabie River. A very picturesque area and rich in big game, Elephants and Buffalo in some numbers, Warthogs and antelopes abundant. It is also the most popular area with tourists, the massive Skukusa Camp just to the west and almost equally polular Lower Sabie to the east. Hmm, I was suffering cultural shock, the first time in the whole trip where tourist numbers were an issue. Ahead, a massive traffic jam, a Leopard had caught a Waterbuck and was apparently still sitting on it ...out of sight behind a ridge! After an enforced wait, we got passed without the temptation to linger with the crowd, then bumped into another crowd at what I believe was Lions, we again decided not to stop.

Some kilometres on, just short of Lower Sabie Camp, is Sunset Dam - again quite a few other tourists, but the site is large and open, so the numbers don't impact on the experience. Loads of Hippos and Crocodiles, plus quite good birding here - a large flock of Yellow-billed Storks and African Spoonbills on one bank, White-crowned Lapwings and assorted other waders on the other, Grey Herons hitching lifts on Hippos mid-pool and various raptors overhead, including Tawny Eagle and Bateleur. Also Openbill Storks, Pied Kingfishers and Hammerkop.

We then entered Lower Sabie Camp ...oo er, big camp shop with piles of souvenirs, several restaurants and a bustling car park and reception. I began to have some doubts as to whether I really wanted to stay. Retired to the restaurant on a veranda overlooking the river, decided to splash out on a lunch. Lesser Masked Weavers hopping about on the tables, White-fronted Bee-eaters and African Palm Swifts circling around, Hippos in the river beyond. All very nice, but we decided it was not for us.

With only a couple of hours till sunset, we decided on a rapid change of plans. Drove south to Crocodile Bridge, left Kruger and continued even further south. As dark descended, we crossed the border from South Africa into Swaziland, a completely different world to the one we were leaving. Wound up the mountain roads in total darkness, eventually stopped a few kilomteres beyond Pigg's Peak for the night. A big fat Red Toad was our first experience of Swazi wildlife.

Last edited:
Some non-birds from the day...

Attachments

• Cheetah za 8.jpg
    Cheetah za 8.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Cheetah za 9.jpg
    Cheetah za 9.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 33
  • Baboon za 3.jpg
    Baboon za 3.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Red Toad za 1.jpg
    Red Toad za 1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 34
Great stuff Jos

I have noticed that you missed SA school holidays by about a week or so, do you think some of the masses at Satara \ Lower Sabie were nationals taking an extra week or so, or just international visitors. I ask as when we visit in 2013 we are two weeks later than your visit so was hoping it maybe a little quieter.... of course only time will tell.

I have noticed that you missed SA school holidays by about a week or so, do you think some of the masses at Satara \ Lower Sabie were nationals taking an extra week or so, or just international visitors.

Ei, t'wer masses minus squawking minors, it was no coincidence that my visit was a week or so after the SA school holidays ;)

Nationality of the masses was not my preoccupation, but I believe a fair mix of South Africans and internationals. Satara to Lower Sabie is always fairly busy in my experience.

Best civet photo I've ever seen Jos. We had a couple on night drives and brilliantly one in the day (it got booted out of cover by about 500 cape buffalo) but never a clear sighting like that. Simply wonderful.

26 July. Malalotja, Swaziland.

Waking in the cool misty mountains of Swaziland, it was just a short drive to the gates of Malalotja, a reserve protecting an expance of upland grassland dotted with all sorts of interesting birds and mammals.

Having left Kruger, I really considered my trip over, so this Swaziland extension was essentually for relaxation, the cabins at this reserve rather deluxe and the area also offering easy birding in very pleasant scenery. On my last visit here, I had seen Blue Swallows sweeping across the grasses behind the cabins, Malalotja being one of the last localities for this endangered bird. This visit, at the heart of the southern winter, would see no swallows (they are summer visitors only), but hopefully most of the other specialities would be present.

Passing through the gates, herds of Blesbok were immediately seen, dozens of them grazing the slopes, congregating on areas recently burnt. Cape Longclaws fairly abundant, then the first corkers of the day, smart Black-winged Lapwings trotting across patches of burn.

Checked into our cabin, lazed back in the comfy armchairs and brewed a coffee, ah nice. Cape Rock Thrushes sang from the roof top, Malachite Sunbirds flitted amongst flowers just yonder and a superb Red-throated Wryneck began calling in a small tree adjacent. Scattered herds of Blesbok stretched from hillside to hillside, a Common Reedbuck also seen.

Soon the temptation to wander rekindled my energy, a drive punctuated with walks taking the next few hours. Another pair of Black-winged Lapwings, two'a'penny super-smart Buff-streaked Chats, several Mocking Cliff-Chats, a bevy of cisticolas that included Zitting, Wing-snapping and Wailing Cisticola. Other birds were not overly abundant, but the mix of species combined with landscapes made for a most enjoyable time. Also added Red-winged Starlings, Greater Double-collared Sunbirds, Yellow Bishops and quite a few Plain-backed Pipits, as well as Black-shouldered Kite and Jackal Buzzard. On the mammal front, in addition to the Blesbok, we eventually found a few herds of Black Wildebeest, several Plains Zebras, eight Grey Rhebok, two Mountain Reedbucks and, mammal of the day, a pair of cracking Oribi. Also Baboons, Warthogs and Rock Dassies.

After bouncing the car off several boulders to try and reach a section a little lower, I decided the idea was folly, so paused a while to enjoy to close-quarter Secretary Birds, then nursed the car back up the bumpy slope, a few minor dents in the underside the only telltale sign. Sorry rental company! A couple more Red-throated Wrynecks near the cabins, plus a Cape Robin-Chat and single Ground Woodpecker, but the last highlight of the day came rather late on, a stunning Southern Bald Ibis dropping in to feed on the burnt grass a little above the cabins, four more flying over closer to dusk.

A glorious sunset over the hills, Blesbok on the horizon. Retired to the cabin, a nice log fire burning away to keep off the chills.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back