• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

spend my money... £800 budget (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have a bit of a fancy for some new binoculars (not that I am planing on getting rid of my current ones) so have been having a look around over the last couple of weeks. I found a good deal on a pair of 8x32 ELs but made the mistake of thinking for too long and missed them. So now I am trying to see what else might scratch the itch for new toys. I currently use 8.5x42 ELs (original version, not SV) or 8x32 Nikon HGs. I was thinking a nice lightweight pair of 8x32s to slip in my camera bag when not birding would be good which is why the ELs caught my eye. If I can find another pair of 8x32 ELs or 8x32 Ultravids for under £800 I will probably go for one of those but if not what else would people recommend? I have seen the Swaro 8x30 CL and the Leica 8x32 Trinovid HD listed online but haven't had either in my hands yet, how do these stack up against the older high end models? Anything else that I should consider taking a look at, I'm happy to buy used and also happy to spend less than the budget!

I have bought CL 8x30 and returned. FOV.
Seen UV 8x32 many times and passed - eye relief.
Have the EL 8x32.
SF 8x32 - considered, but color cast is too high for my liking. Waiting for next generation.
Trinovid 8x32 - too much CA for me.
NL 8x32 - heavy and big yet less FOV than SF.

My next potential candidate is Zeiss Conquest HD, (and yet to exist sfl) maybe for you too?

Kowa Genesis 8x33 is a great binocular. Worth giving it a try. Can be bought at a discount. The build quality is as good as the top four and view quality is as good (maybe excluding the newest SF and NL). Very underrated. Focuser was amazing as was the feel and balance. The only reason I didn't keep them is that they did not provide a blackout-free view. I really wanted to keep them. I returned Zeiss' and Leica's for the same reason.

Last edited:
Kowa Genesis 8x33 is a great binocular. Worth giving it a try. Can be bought at a discount. The build quality is as good as the top four and view quality is as good (maybe excluding the newest SF and NL). Very underrated. Focuser was amazing. The only reason I didn't keep them is that they did not provide a blackout-free view. I really wanted to keep them. I returned Zeiss' and Leica's for the same reason.

Which 32mm class do you use that doesn’t have blackout issue for you?

I would go for 8x25's... CL's or Zeiss VP's
That's a good size difference from your 8.5x42's and helps depict which to take...
32's and 42's are too close.
I use 8x25's for convenience, paddle boarding etc, 10x42 when not bothered about lugging bigger ones around.
It's a perfect combination for me!
Just did a trip around Albania, and didn't hesitate to take my 8x25's .... and they never let me down, and took up virtually no space in my bag.
For what it's worth I was very impressed with the CL8x30, but were a bit bigger than I wanted.

I recently bought a pair of 8x32 ELs for £900 - almost perfect.
Search around the reputable optics shops and ask about possible trade-in

I recently bought a pair of 8x32 ELs for £900 - almost perfect.
Search around the reputable optics shops and ask about possible trade-in

I think I paid something similar about a year ago - effectively in unused condition - non-fieldpro but I personally didn't mind that.

The CL 25's are nice compact binoculars, but if I didn't own them I'd be looking at The Curio for the wider FoV.

Which 32mm class do you use that doesn’t have blackout issue for you?
I decided against 8x32 format after trying Conquest and Kowa, wanted to try Ultravid as well but decided against it after those two. My conclusion is that the best 8x32 is a certain Leica 7x35 ;) Its eyecups used to annoy me a bit as well but I accidentally found a perfect (for me) solution. I will share it soon.

I decided against 8x32 format after trying Conquest and Kowa, wanted to try Ultravid as well but decided against it after those two. My conclusion is that the best 8x32 is a certain Leica 7x35 ;) Its eyecups used to annoy me a bit as well but I accidentally found a perfect (for me) solution. I will share it soon.

I like your choice! Bino pleasure is directly proportional to exit pupil and field of view imo.

I got the chance to try out some bits today. I tested an 8x33 Genesis but it just don’t suit me, I found the eyecups uncomfortable and the focus a little too stiff. I also tested a pair of 8x42 Trinovid HDs, I was amazed by just how good they are. Relatively small for an 8x42, classic Leica image (sharp and punchy with natural colour). Focus was smooth and they really seemed to snap into focus. I probably would have come home with them if the Curio spanner hadn’t been thrown in the works. They are tiny, great image and surprisingly easy to bring to the eye and use. However they didn’t have them in stock. So the plan is to go back when the Curio is in stock as it may just be the perfect camera bag binocular. That’s said if I could afford to get the Trinovids too I definitely would, they were a delight to use.

Get the meopta meostar 10x42 hds. My nephew picked up a set and they are fantastic. We compared them several times to my swaro slc hds and my swaro el swarovisions. I'm talking real world hunting conditions. Usually on a tripod in low light conditions. They are very close in comparison to the swaros and a whole lot cheaper. To me they are head and shoulders above the competition at that price point. Resale value is excellent if you decide to ever sell.

Used swaros come up for around that price but most are older models which I feel are no better view than the meopta meostar hds.

Another outstanding value glass is the older leica trinovid BA and BN series. They are built like a tank and offer incredible quality and view. I ran a set of 10x 42 BN leicas for 10 years and loved them. I think I ended up selling them for more than I paid for them when I got the swaro bug.

Get the meopta meostar 10x42 hds. My nephew picked up a set and they are fantastic. We compared them several times to my swaro slc hds and my swaro el swarovisions. I'm talking real world hunting conditions. Usually on a tripod in low light conditions. They are very close in comparison to the swaros and a whole lot cheaper. To me they are head and shoulders above the competition at that price point. Resale value is excellent if you decide to ever sell.

Used swaros come up for around that price but most are older models which I feel are no better view than the meopta meostar hds.
I have these..... they are superb, and if you are talking value for money, unbeatable.
They are comfortably ahead of Conquests, Genesis etc in my opinion.
They compare very well to Leica Ultras, and Swaro's.

The Meopta are not very easily available in the UK and I would definitely want to try before buying. I have now seen a pair of 8x32 Ultravids that are in budget, I love the view through the it is just whether the Curio is a wiser purchase…

I have now seen a pair of 8x32 Ultravids that are in budget, I love the view through the it is just whether the Curio is a wiser purchase…
You might need both of them. My 8x32 is one of my favorites to look through, but the little Ultravid 8x20 and Curio 7x21 are the ones getting the most use, they're so easy to take anywhere.

You might need both of them. My 8x32 is one of my favorites to look through, but the little Ultravid 8x20 and Curio 7x21 are the ones getting the most use, they're so easy to take anywhere.
Funny you should say that… I just picked up a pair of secondhand 8x32 Ultravids but am now working out how to get the funds for a pair of Curio too!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back