• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x32 vs. 8.5x42 EL (1 Viewer)

Probably the best ergonomics I have ever used. I have tried it 3 times with my regular walking stick and it really does work well. The 8x32 is very usable even one handed

I am going to Monhegan Island off the coast of Maine for a few days near the end of September. There are no cars and a lot of walking-hope the knee holds up. I have found a walking stick that I can pack so I will have plenty of time to see how it all works out.

Thanks again-

Mike

Does anyone know if the original 8.5x42 EL is likely to be discontinued to make way for the new improved (and hugely more expensive!!) model?

Matt

I have heard from a Swarovski dealer here in Innsbruck that the old model will be dicontinued, but they were not able to say when. There will not be a discount on the old model, though; they seem to consider them just a different line which will eventually disappear. By the way, the recommended retail price for the new 8,5x42 will be 2.130 Euros (2230 for the 10x), according to Swarovski.

I have heard from a Swarovski dealer here in Innsbruck that the old model will be dicontinued, but they were not able to say when. There will not be a discount on the old model, though; they seem to consider them just a different line which will eventually disappear. By the way, the recommended retail price for the new 8,5x42 will be 2.130 Euros (2230 for the 10x), according to Swarovski.

At the present exchange rate, that would make the new 8.5 ELs cost
$3,078 in the United States. EagleOptics is presently giving a 10% discount off the list price of the 8.5 EL. A 10% discount would still make them $2,770. Oh, my!

...to make way for the new improved (and hugely more expensive!!) model?

Matt

The announced list price for the new model is 2130 E,
the list price for the current one is 1930 E.
That's an increase of 10,4%.

Top end manufacturers regularly step up their list prices once or twice a year.
This amounted to a similiar price increase without any changes in the models during the last two years!

10% more for a completely new design with major new features is modest in my opinion and certainly anything but "hugely more expensive".

Thomas

Last edited:
At the present exchange rate, that would make the new 8.5 ELs cost
$3,078 in the United States. EagleOptics is presently giving a 10% discount off the list price of the 8.5 EL. A 10% discount would still make them $2,770. Oh, my!

To make you sleep better:
The list price for the current EL 8x32 is 1725 Euros.
In the US you pay 1699 dollars. That's 1168 Euros at today's exchange rate.
Now compare this to the best retail price I have found all over Germany which is 1525 Euros (= 2218 USD) !

Given the fact that the USA are the richest country in the world it is time to stop wailing, isn't it?
You live in binocularist's paradise.

T

When a price is quoted in EU is VAT included in the price?

In USA sales tax is not included in the price. Sales taxes run 6+% depending on the state. I would assume VAT is higher. I don't know if VAT varies between countries but I would assume it does.

My guess is USA is still way ahead. I have never understood how a product can be sold cheaper in USA than country of origin.

Mike

Now compare this to the best retail price I have found all over Germany which is 1525 Euros (= 2218 USD) !

Given the fact that the USA are the richest country in the world it is time to stop wailing, isn't it?

T

Why are binoculars so much more expensive in Europe? Why do bins cost 1/3 more in Germany than they do in the U.S? Makes me feel happy for getting the 8.5 EL for $1699 a year ago.

The only thing I can figure out is that the Europeans are very wealthy and they can afford the high prices. And that the Europeans feel sorry us in the U.S., since under our present administration, much of our wealth is disappering.

Seriously, is there in logic for the price difference?

In USA sales tax is not included in the price. Sales taxes run 6+% depending on the state. I would assume VAT is higher. ....
Mike

VAT: 19% in this "lovely" country.

...I have never understood how a product can be sold cheaper in USA than country of origin.
Mike

I have been puzzled by this riddle. Until I had a chance to discuss it with a representative of one of the major optics manufacturers. I was prepared for a lecture in international trade law or economics I would probably not understand, so I was really, really surprised at the shockingly simple explanation the man from company XY gave me:
"Yes .... we don't like this situation but .... you see.... Americans are NOT WILLING TO PAY MORE !"
"That's it!?" I asked.
Yes, said the man from ...

The simple logic of capitalism.

From not so intelligent Europe,
Tom

VAT: 19% in this "lovely" country.

"Yes .... we don't like this situation but .... you see.... Americans are NOT WILLING TO PAY MORE !"
"That's it!?" I asked.
Yes, said the man from ...

The simple logic of capitalism. "

I guess the simple explanation is the best and the one that does not occur to me.

Was birding this morning:

Chestnut-sided
Magnolia
Black-throated Green
American Redstart
Blackburnian
Bay-breasted
Black and White

Yellow-throated Vireo
Plus others

Probably three or four more species of warblers I couldn't identify given my looks and ability. The 8x32ELs worked great and I would have little interest in going back to 42mm bins. Could be the newness of the bins.

Mike

Att SW:

I agree with FrankD,
so can you bring down the price a little more?

$2000US seems okay for many, many sales.

edj

Out of curiosity, just checked the current asking price for the revised EL model in the UK..and translated into dollers..

£1.630 GB = $2.910 USD

Matt

T
Thola: I agree, we do get a break when it comes to top-end bino & scope gear here in the U.S.--I'm not complaining compared to the ton of $$$$ you pay on your side of the pond! I never have figured that one unless it is the VAT & local taxes that are the killers on your pricing. Living in a sales tax-free state in the U.S. certainly has its advantages! However, I'm in no hurry to trade in my 'old' ELs for the new ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back