• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (8 Viewers)

Thanks to you and Gordon. I have Gordon's book but as we have limited time I appreciate the tips on the easiest spots.

The place where we found cresties most easily in early October a couple of years ago was round the car park for Loch Mallachie about 1/2 a mile NW of the main Loch Garten car park (as described in Gordon's excellent book!)
We parked and got out, and had good views within a couple of minutes (and close to the car park!)

Gordon, thanks for the advice. We got a flock of Ptarmigan from the restaurant at the top of the funicular on a very windy morning. No luck in the area with Cresties but we did find them on the Moray Firth in the pine Forrest at the east of Lossiemouth
Hi,

Loch garten is as good as anywhere. Even though the centre itself is closed, you can still walk down the path there. Look for large flocks of coal tits and check them out. Also the walk from Loch Garten to Loch Mallachi and, if you are heading up to Cairngorm, stop at Allt Mor (about a mile beyond the Glenmore visitor centre) and walk the loop there.

For Ptarmigan, go up in the funicular, come out onto the viewing platform and check the boulder field to your right.

Hope this helps

Gordon - author of Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands

I know its perhaps a bit late in the season but hoping to head over to North Uist/ Berneray for long weekend, 21 November.

is there likely to be much in the way of birding at this time of the year and locations. Thanks

House Martin

Very late House Martin reported Grantown a few days ago, remarkable record this far north! Though guess with the very mild conditions still plenty of insects about.

I am going to be staying in Boat of Garten for 2 nights over the Easter weekend. I am planning on going to Caperwatch and having a whistlestop tour looking for the Strathspey specialties.

I was wondering if Scottish Crossbills had made a reappearance anywhere - it seems like they have vanished in recent years?

Also is there anywhere particular to be recommended for crested tit. Any feeders where they may still be in attendance in early April?

I am going to be staying in Boat of Garten for 2 nights over the Easter weekend. I am planning on going to Caperwatch and having a whistlestop tour looking for the Strathspey specialties.

I was wondering if Scottish Crossbills had made a reappearance anywhere - it seems like they have vanished in recent years?

Also is there anywhere particular to be recommended for crested tit. Any feeders where they may still be in attendance in early April?

not to sure about crossbills, I think they are still around , but its just a matter of identifying them, I saw a small flock of crossbills in grantown wood, which is by the golf course, they were larger and their calling was different to common crossbills, so I listed them as scots crossbill, crested tits should be still around loch garten, they were still in that area on my visit which was in end of may last year:t:

In my experience they stop coming to feeders by April (at least I've never seen one then, though I'm sure there are exceptions!) although I have seen them in Feb. The 'Loch Mallachie' loop in Abernethy Forest (a few hundred yards from the Loch Garten Visitor Centre) is a good place to look, especially around where the trail forks into the 'loop'. I don't know if you are familiar with looking for cresties (if you are please forgive me for being patronising); if you are not, you should make sure you memorise the call before you start and listen for them rather than looking. They tend to be high up in the canopy and hyperactive.

Up for my now annual trip to the Highlands tomorrow for a few days. Various bits planned, would be interested to know of any Eagles up findhorn as always. What about this Harlequin off Brora, anyone been?
Edit- whereabouts can I park for Anagach woods? Been meaning to check this place out.
Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited:
Edit- whereabouts can I park for Anagach woods? Been meaning to check this place out.
Cheers,
Jim.

Anywhere in Grantown will do, but you can drive down past the St. Johns Ambulance station and park right by the town entrance to the woods. The red trail is said to be the one for capers, although they are not as frequent as they were (I've never seen one). You really need to buy a map of the woods, but apart from the Grant Arms (for residents) I don't know where they are sold. You could maybe try the bookshop or a local tourist info centre?

Last edited:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/blackgrousecaper_tcm9-132655.pdf (Black Grouse & Capercaillie Birdwatchers Code of Conduct)

Just flagging this up. To be honest I'd recommend just using the RSPB Loch Garten facilities if wanting to see Caper rather than heading to the woods yourself at dawn, especially at Easter.

Yes,that's my plan. Anagach will be a late morning walk. I'm quite happy to 'miss' species; if I go to Garten and don't see Caper, so be it! I spoke to a friend about dogs and photographers doing more than just disturbing capers up here. Real shame, the birds come first.
Jim.

Yes,that's my plan. Anagach will be a late morning walk. I'm quite happy to 'miss' species; if I go to Garten and don't see Caper, so be it! I spoke to a friend about dogs and photographers doing more than just disturbing capers up here. Real shame, the birds come first.
Jim.

Hope you manage to catch up with a few things, weather looks like it's getting a bit better at least! There are Xbills around Anagach, take your pick as to which though!

Does anyone on site know if any capers have been seen from the caperwatch these first mornings it's been running? I would find it very helpful to know as I'm coming up myself on Monday...

Glorious day today. The female Harlequin was showing nicely on the sea south of Brora along with a few Razorbill, GoldenEye and a Red-throated Diver. I had planned some forest birding, but with almost optimum conditions I instead went to Findhorn. This paid off- a pair of Golden Eagle down the track from the kennels. Mountain Hare and Wild Goats here too along with the commoner birds of prey. Garten tomorrow.
Cheers,
Jim.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/blackgrousecaper_tcm9-132655.pdf (Black Grouse & Capercaillie Birdwatchers Code of Conduct)

Just flagging this up. To be honest I'd recommend just using the RSPB Loch Garten facilities if wanting to see Caper rather than heading to the woods yourself at dawn, especially at Easter.

Yep, sorry about that. The Anagach woods early morning should only contain locals walking dogs before going to work, mountain bikers, joggers and children shouting to each other. Definitely not birders cat-footing about unobtrusively.

Anagach woods is not Abernethy or Rothiemurchus which are huge areas of prime Caper habitat which should really, really be avoided early morning at all costs to give Capers the best chance of lekking undisturbed.

Ideally spend the early morning getting blip views at Loch Garten feeling virtuous and wait until midday before birding normally anywhere else.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back