• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (1 Viewer)

If you are on Mull overnight, make sure to catch the night roost of the Great Northern Divers, over 60 birds on and around Eorsa and the bay it sits in.

Hummmmph!!! No, we won't be there overnight, sadly.

Shame I didn't know about them when we stayed on Mull all those years ago.

And another Hummmmph!!!

When we were there all those years ago, we heard about a white-billed on Loch na Keal, but a combination of bright sun, howling gale, rough water and a not too good scope, we just couldn't be positive that we were looking at it. A diver certainly but I wasn't prepared to go any further than that.

Do I take it there's nowhere nice on the mainland around the Oban area? Looks like I'll have to do a bit of hunting around LOL.

Loch Ruthven is alive to the sounds of Cuckoos! Slavonian Grebes looking absolutely astounding, can see why they are such a firm favourite.

In the local, fly over female Hen Harrier and Kestrels, Red Throated Diver sat preening on Loch Ashie. All in all a very pleasent evening.

Loch Ruthven is alive to the sounds of Cuckoos! Slavonian Grebes looking absolutely astounding, can see why they are such a firm favourite.

In the local, fly over female Hen Harrier and Kestrels, Red Throated Diver sat preening on Loch Ashie. All in all a very pleasent evening.
You're whetting my appetite now Ratal;). 11 days to go until we're back up:t:

Rich

Hi Rich,

Where are you staying? We're up at the same time - first week in Lairg, second in Grantown.

If you are free, I am leading a trip up Strathdearn (Findhorn Valley) 10-12 on Monday 16th May, then Loch Ruthven 2-4. Thursday 19th, we'll be doing the same at Burghead 10-12, starting at the harbour before moving round to the Maltings. You are more than welcome to come and say hello if you are in the area.

Cheers,

Gordon Hamlett - author of The Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands

Hi Rich,

Where are you staying? We're up at the same time - first week in Lairg, second in Grantown.

If you are free, I am leading a trip up Strathdearn (Findhorn Valley) 10-12 on Monday 16th May, then Loch Ruthven 2-4. Thursday 19th, we'll be doing the same at Burghead 10-12, starting at the harbour before moving round to the Maltings. You are more than welcome to come and say hello if you are in the area.

Cheers,

Gordon Hamlett - author of The Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands

Thanks Gordon. That's very kind of you. :t: Unfortunately we're staying at Broadford so will be concentrating mostly on the West coast. Arriving on the 7th and leaving on the 14th. I'm hoping to get one day in Speyside for the Caper watch before heading to Lochindorb/ Cairngorm/ Loch Ruthven etc. The only day we really have booked is the Monday with an organised trip around the Island.

I'll keep an eye out for you during the week though. If you see two Welshmen wondering around aimlessly looking at the skies that'll be myself and Kev. Kev bears a striking resemblance to Clyde from Every Which Way but Loose which maybe the easiest way to recognise us. 3:)

Thanks again,

Rich

Might be worth keeping an eye out for news on Loch Garten caper - it's not been seen for last 6 days including today :-C 4+, probably 6, Golden Eagles in Findhorn Valley though :t:
Cheers John. I'm used to dipping on Capers to be honest3:). The plan is to go there first before heading off for other Speyside specialities.

Rich

If you are on Mull overnight, make sure to catch the night roost of the Great Northern Divers, over 60 birds on and around Eorsa and the bay it sits in.

Looks like this could be combined with a visit to the Treshnish. Are there birds present all year round ?

Looks like this could be combined with a visit to the Treshnish. Are there birds present all year round ?

A handful do, but the majority are getting into adult plumage ready to head north to Iceland and Norway. They have started to leave so I'd expect the next week or two they'd vanished.

We are spending 2 weeks on Mull at the beginning of June. Any pointers/tips would be much appreciated. Happy to go out at unearthly hours to see anything interesting!

What a day.
Guests drove up from Newcastle for a birding weekend, so decided to hit them with the best locations for some of their 'must see' species.

In Aviemore for 730am. Straight to Peregrines and Pied Flycatchers. Nicely done, then off to the Loch Garten, for Redstart and Crested Tits. Took literally ten seconds to get Redstart (Nemesis I defeat you!) Then an hour before we found Cresties. Nicely done.

Then, into Inverness for Cuckoo, out to Ruthven for Slav Grebes, then Hen Harrier between Ruthven and Lairg.

Last up, Black Throated Divers who happily sailed around Little Loch Shin for the guests with the ospreys once again further into the Loch area. A very, very long but productive day.

A smattering of skuas through Chanonry / Ardersier along with a handful of Red Throated Divers. Pintail ducks still hanging around the mudflats by the Merkinch nature reserve.

Yellow-browed Warbler yesterday along the river Spey, Grantown and the first Redwings of the winter over though no large Thrush movements seen as yet. Plenty of berries for them this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back