• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thoughts on 10x32 EL Fieldpros (1 Viewer)

Iceberg slim

Fly by night
United Kingdom
After having issues with my Leicas, traded them in for these Beauties, apart from weight issues with 10x42s, i am so pleased, Crystal clear, Tack sharp, Velvet smooth focussing, easier to hold for a sustained period, i've hopped between Leica and Swarovski pretty regularly over the last 25 yrs, so Leica will have to really usurp the new NL Pures, i fi was ever to change again

I think I get it (lately I've become a Leica/Swaro fan myself) but something's amiss here, with 10x32 in the title and 42 in the text. I'll assume you meant 10x42 as you were recently complaining about your Noctivid diopter. So why choose EL over NL now that it's out? And how do you feel switching from the Leica view to EL SV? (I chose SLC)

For some reason I don't recall hearing much about EL 10x42 here; people mostly post about the 8.5x, or 10x50...

For some reason I don't recall hearing much about EL 10x42 here; people mostly post about the 8.5x, or 10x50...
Tenex,
That's cuz, those of us who own them are out, busy, birding, while others try to figure out what they're missing in their "other" choice, here. HA!

I must say though, (and not for the first time), on the SF/Richmond Bay Trail, where the migration is finally winding down, my informal line count of binos on birders necks, the 1042EL is by far the most popular. Second choice is someone else's 10, not an 8. Thats 2x a week, 6 months. For Els at $2K, that's more than a little surprising.

Haven't documented a single X32 anything....

GTom

I think I get it (lately I've become a Leica/Swaro fan myself) but something's amiss here, with 10x32 in the title and 42 in the text. I'll assume you meant 10x42 as you were recently complaining about your Noctivid diopter. So why choose EL over NL now that it's out? And how do you feel switching from the Leica view to EL SV? (I chose SLC)

My #1 granddaughter now has my EL SV 10X42, which I gave away when I replaced them with 8X32 SF.

I used them for six or seven years.

Tenex, been thinking about this. In #3 above I wasn't trying to be flip or cute. The informal line count I did, involved birding 2 days a week for the approximate 27 weeks the migration has lasted. This translates to 54 days of birding, (with my own 1042 Els). I claim I encountered folks with binos around their necks ("birders") at least once in each of these days. So an "n of 54" maybe, doesn't seem too far off the mark. If I saw someone thus equipped, I would walk up and ask, "What have you seen today?" And depending on the answer to that, I would follow up with "What have you seen during this year's migration?" A cool thing about birding, at least here, is not once was the conversation rebuffed.

I described my line count as informal, since I didn't explicitly ask about what bino was around fellow birder's neck, unless I couldn't tell by looking AND the conversation went that way. It rarely did. As well I didn't write this down. That said, Els are easy to identify. Harder I learned, is telling 42 vs 32 or 50 and of course you cant tell magnification from outside looking in. It was easier to ask about a person's Els when I was wearing them myself. We are it seems a kind of club... Often enough I was able to chat, while looking at the displayed bino. I saw a couple Zeiss Conquests, An SF 42 once, Many Nikons, probably do to the local REI store, but I found it difficult to discern between the various Monarch 5s or 7s. While it seems obvious that the relative size of a bino, laying against a person's torso would provide context to guess at the size, I didn't find that so easy. In retrospect, and happily, I can report conversations were mostly about birding.

Point?

What I alluded to in 3 above, is my sense, (hopefully this doesn't offend anyone), the dialogue here on Birdforum's binocular section is largely conducted among folks who have a bit of "gear head" in them, myself included. Birding, wildlife spotting, hunting, are activities in and of themselves. Buying, collecting, thinking about, using binoculars, spotting scopes, cameras are for some their own activity. In this case while the twain do meet, active birders seem to care more about birding, fit the binocular of choice into some sense of balance, and are not so occupied with finding the "ultimate tool".

Tom

Last edited:
In my limited experience, this forum seems to be a hotbed of fault-finding, carping criticism, and an obsessive search for "flaws" in order to reject a particular glass.

That may be a bit harsh, but there is a great deal of all of those things, and it is "justified" with the argument, "If I am going to spend $X, then I expect Y", when in fact you are never going to get Y by spending $X, so newcomers had best beware and take what they read here with a big helping of salt.

There are brilliant, very knowledgeable and experienced folks on here, there are people who own more binoculars than I have ever seen, and there are people who buy and sell or return binoculars on almost a weekly basis, so new people, please consult other sources, read extensively, and when at all possible try the glass you think you may want to buy.

Then, once you buy it, go forth and use it, learn its quirks and enjoy looking through it at the wonders that your human eyesight cannot possibly show you unaided. Come here often for advice, reassurance, camaraderie, and a vast store of knowledge, which is offered freely by all who post here.

Oh, and buy the best you can afford plus a bit. You will probably never regret it in the long run.

Last edited:
It’s an Internet forum, where the like minded gather to discuss the absurdity of binocular minutia.....of course there is going to be dissecting criticism, it’s what makes the internet world go round.

Tenex,
That's cuz, those of us who own them are out, busy, birding, while others try to figure out what they're missing in their "other" choice, here. HA!

I must say though, (and not for the first time), on the SF/Richmond Bay Trail, where the migration is finally winding down, my informal line count of binos on birders necks, the 1042EL is by far the most popular. Second choice is someone else's 10, not an 8. Thats 2x a week, 6 months. For Els at $2K, that's more than a little surprising.

Haven't documented a single X32 anything....

GTom
I think that's a habitat/terrain thing. HERE...I RARELY see a 10X42. There's a good chance one would more than likely fall behind in bird count with 10X and 330ft FOV. Most in my birding group have 8X42s of some type. Last time I made note of the brands...Zeiss(3), Swarovski(1), Nikon(3), Levenhuk(1), Bushnell(1), Eagle Optics(1), Vanguard(1). There will occasionally be a 8X32 Ultravid and occasionally a 7X42 Trinovid BA. The Zeiss units were an HT, a Conquest HD 42mm and my SF 32mm. The Swarovski was a EL 8.5X42 non Swarovision. Most of these guys/gals are average or better birders too.

But PS....an avid birder generally doesn't give a rip about what binocular everyone else is carrying.

I think that's a habitat/terrain thing. HERE...I RARELY see a 10X42. There's a good chance one would more than likely fall behind in bird count with 10X and 330ft FOV. Most in my birding group have 8X42s of some type. Last time I made note of the brands...Zeiss(3), Swarovski(1), Nikon(3), Levenhuk(1), Bushnell(1), Eagle Optics(1), Vanguard(1). There will occasionally be a 8X32 Ultravid and occasionally a 7X42 Trinovid BA. The Zeiss units were an HT, a Conquest HD 42mm and my SF 32mm. The Swarovski was a EL 8.5X42 non Swarovision. Most of these guys/gals are average or better birders too.

But PS....an avid birder generally doesn't give a rip about what binocular everyone else is carrying.
Perfect! I hope its Ok with you Chuck to reveal, but we have exchanged photos of where we bird. Our respective terrain appeared really quite different, mine open, no cover, large salt marsh, and San Francisco Bay, migratory waterfowl and shore birds. Chuck's seemed very different at least in the few pics we swapped.

I agree, birders are busy birding, binos along for the ride!

How's this for a theory? (Perhaps its been covered here before if so somebody shut me down.) We each contribute from our own place, express opinions, offer advice, differ in our experience. Almost never though it seems, do we calibrate or provide context. Most, I gather don't know each other personally, have never met, don't have a clue about age, stature, size, fitness, and even though often described as a variable, facial characteristics. Do you carry a scope, a long lens camera, or is it just binos and go?These offered as examples of calibration things. Which bino we like is partly a function of these personal characteristics... no?

Then there's context, where we bird, what kind of birds are we looking for, the stuff alluded to above. I was emailing with another from the forum a bit ago. It was revealed this person birds from his home, looking out over terrain, is mostly stable, to include his hand position on binos, he's not moving about. I on the other hand bird and hike, averaging 4 miles a go. I'm constantly on the move, except when I stop to check out a vantage place. Ducks, Geese, Kites, an occasional, (but rare) owl, flying about, tracking above with that limited ol' 330 FOV... er 34' @ the more likely 100 yds. While I like identifying and I do keep a list, my joy, the thing that keeps me coming is that frame filling, macro-like view of a rareish duck or 2 doing their thing. I have written about watching the adult breeding female Goldeneye, flipping a crab about trying to orient it so she could swallow it as I stared through my binos from a bridge looking down 20 yards away. I think, I think, my choice of 10 and the reason most birders here as well seem to choose 10 is the terrain and the birds.

Calibration and context.... what do you think?

I bird from a car because I am old, and my balance is not what it once was. I am also terrified of ticks, having friends who have had very bad experiences with tick-borne diseases.

I prefer water and wading birds as well as raptors to what I call "Tweety Birds" and I have not the patience to chase them through the pucker brush.

I am not obsessed with my list, and I haven't chalked up a new one since December 2018. (A Gadwall)

My principal birding glass is an 8X32 SF, which I acquired last December. Prior to that was a 10X42 EL SV for six or seven years, preceded by a 10X42 Nikon Venturer LX for at least 12 years. I will occasionally bring a Fujinon FTMX-SX with me, but don't really like it very much even though it does show more. My scope, which I seldom bring is a Nikon Fieldscope III ED, but it is usually more bother than it is worth.

I could be described as "tall, old, and scrawny with close-set eyes".

Is that enough "context"?

Last edited:
it's getting hot in here!

I have the 8x32 EL, I love them. It took some time for me to admit that 10-power is not as enjoyable for me, as my view was more shaky and narrow, and I felt an overall greater sense of relaxation when I use an 8-power bino. I would LOVE to use 10 power, perhaps even at the expense of FOV, if I were better at staying steady. After all, seeing the birds/bats/bears more closely is the point, right? I think you've got to use what works best for you and not worry about what the others on the line, or online, prefer. In my case, my 8x (rather than 10) will be future justification for getting a scope for my high-mag ambitions.

Cheers.

10x’s is a very popular format.

Noah Strycker actually excelled and set a birding world record using a Leica 10x42 Ultravid HD-Plus (337ft FOV) binocular Lessons From the World’s Biggest Year
I remember reading that right after he did it. He's certainly a far better birder and more dedicated than I am. That sure is a lot of Leica products. I've never even seen a Leica tripod. One thing is for sure....if I were setting out for my own personal "big year" I'd have more than one pair of binoculars. I can't imagine who wouldn't. Mine wouldn't be 10X42s.

I traded a pair of Els for some Noctivid, the ones from about 2015, and i honestly thought The leics, and they were, were an upgrade, i really didn't want to swap the 2015 Els, for the upgraded Fieldpros (all bins 10x42)btw, as i didn't think the upgrade was worth it, now i have traded in my Leicas, for the smaller Swaros, im ok with the, the extra £1000 needed to upgrade to the new NLs, just aint with it..

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back