• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (134 Viewers)

Went over Walton hill this afternoon before getting to Upton. There was a nice sprinkling of migrants up there including a few Wheatears, couple of Redstarts, several Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers. (I did text Birdguides but they obviously didn't think it interesting enough) |=@|

I once spotted a Red Kite near Stourbridge and immediately informed birdguides so local birders could keep an eye out for it, and was amazed that it wasn't posted on their site. I haven't bothered informing them of any sightings since. anything of note i post on birdfourm now. Needless to say i now longer subscribe to birdguides as a result of the poor coverage of the midlands region.

Never mind thanks all for your help it's one i'll just delete from my collection as I said earlier I was panning round to get the Grey Wagtail so serves me right for not taking notice as I pan round.

Another thank you to all who helped ID the insect

Kind Regards

Adrian

Good god man :eek!: ! Don't delete it, you never know when these sorts of things will prove useful. If tree sparrows do start turning up at the reserve again, it'd be good to have the first (albeit blurry) record of them.

Phil :t:

Last edited:
I would go for female blackcap rather than tree sparrow

I've had a look at the image in Photoshop, and after some tweaking with exposure and sharpening I would say the bird definitely has the beak of either a finch or a bunting. As to the species, my heart says Tree, my head says....something else. I would agree with most others in saying that we may be able to narrow it down to the family, but not the individual species of bird.

Phil

Enlarged and sharpened version - I've lost some quality in enlarging it to post on here for the benefit of those without Photoshop, it's still no good for making a 100% positive ID, but it shows the bird slightly better.

Adrian, hope you don't mind me messing with it, I just like mysteries ;)

Phil

Attachments

• ZZZ (553).jpg
    ZZZ (553).jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 149
Not a problem I did have a wierd thought after and put it on ID bird identification page on flickr and they seem to think it's a female reed bunting which I am viaing towards myself but was hoping for a tree sparrow

Kind Regards

Adrian

Sorry about the lateness of this list but on my visit on Thursday I did manage to see the Garden Warbler but I did wait for someone else to confirm the bird was around on here first, as the people who know me know I haven’t long started birding again so I am a little hesitant to name rarer species without help from other people.

So my list for Thursday is as follows –

Black Headed Gull, Blackbird, Blackcap, Blue Tit, Bull Finch, Canada Goose, Carrion Crow, Common Sandpiper, Common Snipe, Curlew, Dunlin, Dunnock, Feral Pigeon, Gadwall, GARDEN WARBLER, Gold Finch, Great Crested Grebe, Great Tit, Green Finch, Green Sandpiper, Green Woodpecker, GREY WAGTAIL, House Martin, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Jay, Kestrel, Kingfisher, Lapwing, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Lesser Whitethroat, Linnet, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Osprey, Pied Wagtail, Pintail, Reed Bunting, Reed Warbler, Robin, Shoveler, Song Thrush, Starling, Stock Dove, Tufted Duck, Water Rail, Whitethroat & Wood Pigeon.

The ones in capitals are new species for me at Upton

Kind Regards

Adrian

Enlarged and sharpened version - I've lost some quality in enlarging it to post on here for the benefit of those without Photoshop, it's still no good for making a 100% positive ID, but it shows the bird slightly better.

Phil

You can see from this photo the clear dark malar stripe with a pale throat area in front of it, so I would assume this is a female type Reed Bunting. (and-not-its-rarer-second-for-the-reserve-cousin!) If this was either Tree or House Sparrow it would show an all dark throat area.

When I first looked at the photo I was thinking House Sparrow and I think what makes it seem more sparrow like is the way the blur is making it look bigger than it is.

Phil

I am enjoying this game! Reed Bunting is my vote.

Phil

more like female reed bunting now

Blimey, House Sparrow :eek!:, Tree sparrow :eek!::eek!:, Black Darter :eek!::eek!:...

I was thinking possible Reed Bunting but decided I couldn't even convince myself of that common Upton species

Can't beat an afternoon of rareities based on dodgey pics 8-P

I'm so glad whatever everyone was on yesterday has worn off now 8-P

lets just stick to the ale in future B :)

6.15am start at Flashes

Dave J was already at the Flashes, so I decided to hit the Hen pool. Immediately a dark shape below the hide turned into an adult water rail a second bird was chased away but it too ended up being an adult water rail. Still nice to see though, but I was hoping for something rarer as Gazza had just texted that he had seen the Baillon's in London.

Onto the lagoons where several snipe and green sands fed in the saucer, gulley and central area. Another water rail (juv) fed by the insect tent and an adult was in front of the oaktree. Most of the waterfowl, gulls and roosting waders had already departed from their roost. But there was still a scattering of duck, mostly teal. As the sun rose birding was difficult and most birds on the lagoons were in silhouette.
It's now that 'hedge watch' comes in to its own, as the sun warms up the bushes and the associated insects appear. Reed buntings are intent on chasing everything that moves and a game of tig ensues amongst all the other species.
Today's warm settled conditions, were less than favourable for any 'vis mig'. However a few meadow pipits did sneak through with a few stopping off to feed in the long vegetation and even perch in the scrub. A few swallows and the odd sand martin also moved through but this was as good as it got.
A few warblers still frequented the scrubby areas, namely blackcap and chiffchaff, with sedge and reed warblers in the reeds.
The pick of the birds was the juv redstart that appeared on the fox fencing' and then became elusive. Fortunately it appeared a couple of hours later on the post in front of the hide, that had just been vacated by a posing kingfisher. Oh yes the Osprey continued to bring fish back to its perch.
Not a bad 9 hours that were spent entirely at the Flashes and listed 60 species at least.
Species count (highlights)
Teal 130, gadwall, pintail, shoveler 5, tufted 5 juvs and an adult, Osprey, Buzzard 9, kestrel 2, water rail 5 min, lapwing 30+, snipe 12, green sand 11, common sand, curlew 6, dunlin, stock dove 50+, little owl, kingfisher 2, green and great spotted woodpecker, swallow 12, sand martin , house martin 30+, reed warbler, sedge warbler 2, blackcap 4, chiffchaff 3, Redstart, meadow pipit 10+, grey wag, pied wag 10+, starling 12, goldfinch 40+, linnet 18 (several juvs), bullfinch, reed bunting 20+.
B :)john
also at least 5 red admirals and lots of dragonflies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back