• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (7 Viewers)

I’m not surprised how few Siskin or Brambling I have had in the garden this year. Also no Nuthatch or Greater Spotted Woodpecker. People have been cutting down too many large trees in the neighbourhood over the past year (with all their home improvements comes a desire for more light, space and low maintenance gardens.). The green corridor that linked my garden to the forest has now gone and there was nothing I could do to try and stop it. I am sure that’s why the forest birds don’t come anymore.
its really galling when that happens, I truly blame the spate of 'home improvement' shows that first appeared a decade or so again. I'm unfortunate to live in a cul-de-sac, with lots of twitchy curtains and gossipy dog- walking neighbours. My front garden is let run riot, with 'wildflowers' offering natural colour all year round. It stands out alone among the identikit lawns of the neighbours, and will remain that way for as long as I draw breath. I'm lucky that Mrs GS is on my side about it.

My feeders have been dead for over a month, maybe the same in other parts of the country.

But yesterday I had 4 Goldfinch, 1 male Chaffinch and a few Starlings.

It's been busy here as the snow had come back. It's melting fast today but still plenty of visiting birds, lots of yellow tones what with Yellowhammer, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Great Tit, Siskin and a lone Serin today!

6 Ravens over the back garden this afternoon. Great to watch.

Rich
My wife and I are starting to spot the ravens here in Hampshire. The've been around for years and we've only just started getting our eye (and ear) in! Not a raven, but a couple of corvids visited my feeders today...

Attachments

• P1010534_DxO_edited.jpg
    P1010534_DxO_edited.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • P1010527_DxO_edited.jpg
    P1010527_DxO_edited.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Hi folks
Not been active on here for a long time, all sorts of reasons, I guess COVID took out a lot of enthusiasm. Did some work in the garden which probably disturbed the birds routine etc. Greenfinch are finding their way back to the feeders.

Anyway I now have another garden to view the local fauna, down here in Southern Turkey. A few trips a year in different seasons should make for some good viewing and reporting. We are located fairly high up on a plateau surrounded by mountains (some snow capped in the winter) and pine forest.

Here are my first 2021 garden birds and will update now and again over the next week or so.

Jay- common
House Sparrow-abundant
Syrian Woodpecker- Common.
Spotted Flycatcher- abundant
Blackcap - abundant
Hooded Crow a few
Eastern Orphean Warbler - at least 4 individuals
Red Backed Shrike-3
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Willow Warbler
Great Tit
Collared Dove

A new bird in the last few days:
Little Owl eventually showed (it lives in our roof).
Incredible number of Spotted Flycatchers around the garden area and the village, however looks like I have just missed the Bee-eaters that have moved through. Just a 15 minute walk gets me huge numbers of Kruipers Nuthatches.

Three more species to this holidays garden list:
Blue Tit
Blackbird
Raven ( a fair few passing over today)

This image is a little cheat as it is 5-10 minutes away in the car on the outskirts of the village but too nice not to share … Kruipers Nuthatch

Attachments

• F8A7A0C2-1AF2-45A7-A231-1FD86FA3948E.jpeg
    F8A7A0C2-1AF2-45A7-A231-1FD86FA3948E.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
Three more species to add to the Southern Turkey garden list (2021)
Red Breasted Flycatcher (brief visit before flying off).
Laughing Dove
Tawny Owl calling in the distance

Little Owl sat on my roof at sunset
Spotted Flycatcher and Blackcap are still in good numbers, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in the tree outside bedroom window, Syrian Woodpecker and Jay are residents and very active all day.

Nice set of birds today

Two new species
Common House Martin
Tawny Pipit (in the scrubland outside the apartment) Ran down with the camera but it’s gone.

Hummingbird hawk moths in the flowers around the garden.

Little Owl out and about again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back