• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (6 Viewers)

We have a shortage of birds but on 3 mornings this week we have had a Sparrowhawk hunting for it's breakfast. Sat on the fence down the garden for more than 5 minutes this morning. We watched through binoculars and even managed a distant photo before it took off. A great start to the day.

First wren to visit our garden!

Congratulations! And well done on the getting the photo.

these dark mornings an days are ruining garden watching :C
I agree. I go out in darkness in the morning and arrive back in darkness in the evening!!!

Yep, same for me too. I shall be out the bed like a shot on Saturday morning to see where all the seed is going.

Without trawling through the entire thread how many participate in the BTO's Garden Birdwatch scheme? (i do)

I don't participate in the Bridwatch scheme as I believe you need to pay for that. However, I do try and do an hour of garden watching for a minimum of an hour a week and record sightings with minimum counts through BirdTrack. I also record my visits to other sites through BirdTrack.

The graphs that are accessed through the site are fantastic. I noticed recently that Goldcrest reportings have shot up dramatically over the last couple of weeks, similarly to last year.

Last edited:
I don't participate in the Bridwatch scheme as I believe you need to pay for that. However, I do try and do an hour of garden watching for a minimum of an hour a week and record sightings with minimum counts through BirdTrack. I also record my visits to other sites through BirdTrack.

The graphs that are accessed through the site are fantastic. I noticed recently that Goldcrest reportings have shot up dramatically over the last couple of weeks, similarly to last year.

Yeah £15 a year. Likewise though i also use Birdtrack. Excellant system

First wren to visit our garden! Very excited!!!

Initially thought it was a baby sparrow as we usually have lots of sparrows about but on looking closer after taking a photo, it turns out it to be a wren!

excellent! Very rarely do wrens visit my garden anymore,which is still a mystery.

Not much news from my garden this week, have been ill and all the feeders have been emptied. I also need a cat deterrent too!, 3 cats have appeared out of the blue and like to sit right underneath the feeders.:C

Not much news from my garden this week, have been ill and all the feeders have been emptied. I also need a cat deterrent too!, 3 cats have appeared out of the blue and like to sit right underneath the feeders.:C

There are about 3 to 4 cats around our garden area too but the birds are very aware that they are about but are used to them too. Some of the cats sit right under the feeders too but the feeders are too high up for them to jump to. The cats don't usually stay there long as they get bored as there is no way they can reach them. The feeders are also next to a big tree/bush that the birds usually sit on and use for cover. Those cage feeders may help.

Without trawling through the entire thread how many participate in the BTO's Garden Birdwatch scheme? (i do)

Yes, I do, plus Birdtrack and GBFS. I love keeping the records and seeing the changes from year to year. There'll be a drop in numbers this winter, I'm afraid- can't afford to feed nearly 50 blackbirds every day plus the rest! Do you think this government could be persuaded to supply sacks of sunflowers and suet pellets for all bird watchers?- perhaps not!:-O

Maybe a sprinkling of extra strong curry powder where they wait? Not harmful, but a tad off putting.

I had a late start for work this morning and in 40 minutes, I clocked up 13 species, including the first Song Thrush of the autumn. Nice to see one here again, although it just rested in the trees at the back and not actually feeding.

Hi all,

Not been on the forum for an absolute age, laziness on my part I'm afraid.

Just seen the first siskin of the autumn/winter at the feeders, female that may be a scout party !

Sure the rest of the gang will be along soon, so time to really start stocking up on food, as last year they devoured everything I put out, could hardly keep up :-O

Yep, same for me too. I shall be out the bed like a shot on Saturday morning to see where all the seed is going..[/QUOTE]

mind the scope;)

record number of golfinches this morning 42 at the feeders,2 robins, 3 coal tits and 7 greenfinches.

mind the scope;)

:-O

record number of golfinches this morning 42 at the feeders,2 robins, 3 coal tits and 7 greenfinches.

Good counts of Goldies.

2 Nuthatches this monring on my feeders was a welcome return

That is probably a bird that will eventually get to my garden. They now breed this far north, but aren't common by any means. Can't wait for the day when they are.

A Wren seen again this morning, going through the Honeysuckle taking insects. Good to see plants specifically planted for birds, being used as intended.

Also a poor, but good enough view to confirm, Redwing in the trees. Plus a female Sparrowhawk on a failed lightning attack through the garden.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back