• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwing invasion 2012/13 (2 Viewers)

A report of 7 on supermarket berries at Mountsorrel, Leics this morning - but rapid increase to 24 there at lunchtime. Did not stay long though.

Steve

Lots of Waxwing sightings on the Cumbrian birders FB page i'll go and have a look for the latest news.Seems to be Penrith -Ind estate,and Morrisons car park,also Oakland rd,and Carlton rd.Carlisle also had a mention.

Last edited:
Had a flock of around 30 today in my garden near Fort William, seen quite a few others over the past few days which is great. This is the most I have seen for years here, so obviously a big influx. Tons of rowan berries on the trees this year so plenty of food for them.

Had a flock of around 30 today in my garden near Fort William, seen quite a few others over the past few days which is great. This is the most I have seen for years here, so obviously a big influx. Tons of rowan berries on the trees this year so plenty of food for them.

Looking at my Bird Guides report - there's getting on for 2,500 in the UK and there must be many unreported

Sandra

It's interesting that we've not had many in Aberdeen yet (normally the 'Waxwing Capital of Britain'). Sometimes they get here a bit later than other places in northern Scotland though, and I'm sure more will arrive in the next few days. There don't seem to be a lot of berries left, so maybe they won't be here for very long.

Noted the same thing...until today when I bumped into flocks totalling 180 birds in the City!

I finally managed some numbers of Waxwings in Aberdeen today, with a flock of 424 (counted from photos) in Kincorth. They seem to be ranging around the Provost Watt Drive area but quite like coming back to the but near Abbotswell Crescent. There are still quite a few rowan berries in that area but not many elsewhere. I guess numbers will be high for a few more days but that might be it.

They have been coming and going in our garden for the last few days, my rugosa is trashed and they are falling on apples as soon as they go out. The apples go straight through them and in to the sparrows which i havent seen before!!

The few reports i can find on the web point to the berry crop being ok across Scandinavia yet i read posts that say its poor, can anybody shed some light on the situation ?

Attachments

• 1-DSCN9448.JPG
    1-DSCN9448.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 57
The few reports i can find on the web point to the berry crop being ok across Scandinavia yet i read posts that say its poor, can anybody shed some light on the situation ?

I don't know about the berry crop in Scandinavia (which I guess is where they're coming from?) but an equally significant factor is likely to be the size of the population as a result of the breeding season. As is usual in invasion years, the vast majority of birds I saw today were first winters, so a contributing factor is likely to be a good breeding season. I guess whatever the berry crop is like there, it's perhaps not enough to feed the extra mouths.

The question was probably asked on the Grosbeak thread about birds continuing through or dying when food is scarce in northern climes ...

... anyway was reading that the winter of 2003/04 saw an unprecedented influx into eastern France, with eg over a thousand birds in the SE (Mediterranean Region). Obviously keep going south as far as they need to keep going ...

Was there much influx into the uk that winter?

The question was probably asked on the Grosbeak thread about birds continuing through or dying when food is scarce in northern climes ...

... anyway was reading that the winter of 2003/04 saw an unprecedented influx into eastern France, with eg over a thousand birds in the SE (Mediterranean Region). Obviously keep going south as far as they need to keep going ...

Was there much influx into the uk that winter?

I seem to remember there being reasonable numbers that winter, although nothing like as many as there were in 2004/05.

I seem to remember there being reasonable numbers that winter, although nothing like as many as there were in 2004/05.

Drat, my memories going already now that I'm old (that was quick!)...

It was the winter of 2004/05 that I should have put in the post above, and I was only reading the article in the bathroom half an hour ago ...

;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back