• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is your favorite kind of animal??? (4 Viewers)

Limiting my choices to those I have seen in the wild.
Birds: Golden Eagle
Mammals: Dolphins, people are great to watch too, the wilder the better!
Insects: Chalkhill blue butterflies

For me....the Komodo Dragon. Lost in evolution. The other end of the spectrum...I love the Corolla Bear.

Mike

callatis said:
nobody loves the wild boars? Sus scrofa atilla

I'd do - In fact I'd like to to the feral popualtion in England reclaim there territory across the UK.

My favourite though is the Duck-Billed Platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus)

The first Ornithorhynchus
Confused early thinkers.
They said, 'Oh good lord,
It's an obvious fraud!
Someone has stuck
The front end of a duck
With the skill of a weaver
To part of a beaver.

(part of a poem by R. Strahan)

Alan

There are more than 5.000 species of mammals.
There are approx. 10.000 species of birds.
There are more than 25.000 species of fishes.
There are millions if counting insects etc. aswell.

- And you expect me to choose one? ;)

Last edited:
Guess I'll give my answer again ;)
I love otters, whales (especially orca whales), dolphins, seals, lemurs those are my most favorites, but I also love rats and bats because they are such superb survivors! And so grossly misunderstood.

I love weasels ,its a good thing for mankind that they are not the size of lions though cos i recon they would be way at the top of the food chain!

Colin.

mothman said:
I love weasels ,its a good thing for mankind that they are not the size of lions though cos i recon they would be way at the top of the food chain!

Colin.

They'll get there someday.

Hard one to answer. I'm going to post the ones that come to mind first.

Favourites I've seen:

1. Seal: has always been my favourite animal. I love it when I spot a bobbing head in the sea. My fav species is Ringed Seal, although I haven't seen it.
2. Weasel: too cheeky for it's size, very amusing.
3. Peregrine falcon: stunning, my favourite bird.

Favourites I haven't seen (in the wild):

1. Tapir: peculiar creature.
2. Cuttlefish: very strange, one of the world's wierdest creatures for me.
3. Blue whale: really want to see one; although I've seen the natural history museum model, I think I have to see it to really appreciate how large it is.

I'm with Rasmus except for the insect part. Okay, except for the butterflies in the insect part. I get excited to see any creature I've never seen before, even insects (as long as they don't jump/crawl/fly/or sneak up on me).

However, what would I drop what I'm doing to go see? Any bird or cetacean anytime, anywhere. Not to "tick" but just for the pure joy of seeing them. And for those of you who haven't yet seen blue whales, you really must try to do this before you shuffle off this mortal coil. They are nothing short of glorious. :D

I would have to say joint 1st for Stoat/Weasel, just love these little active carnivours. I have been lucky enough to see a staot move its "kits"(think thats right) 6 in total . It ran about 8ft in front of me carrying them 1 at a time....Brill.

Katy Penland said:
And for those of you who haven't yet seen blue whales, you really must try to do this before you shuffle off this mortal coil. They are nothing short of glorious. :D

They sure are!! :t:

I have to say that my favourite animal has to be Hedgehogs and coming in a close second my other half! Favourite birds are long tailed Tit and Brambling because they are very cute

Favourites

Scottish wild cat. Probably because the chance of seeing one in the wild is so small. And I think we've seen all the other wild mammals.

Sandra

:cat: :cat:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back