• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When a Leica Ultravid HD+ Replacement? (3 Viewers)

So what would people like to see in the next Leica dream Binocular?

No novelty strap fitting gadgets such as can be found on the current Swarovski EL. Strap design novelties, if they are good, should be found built into the strap itself, not forced on the binocular body itself. I want to choose my own strap and want options not proprietary systems. This is a deal breaker and puts me right off the current Swarovski models.

Yes, that's why I pulled the trigger on a pair of Swarovski 8.5x42 EL before all the new old stock runs out.

The older Ultravids (pre-HD like my 10x50 circa 2004) had a much better strap design in that the adjustable ends would leave no loose ends to flap around and snag. Otherwise there is this technique:
http://www.wired.com/2014/02/proper-camera-strap-technique/

Hermann, post 22,
They are already in the Leica production programme, the only thing you have to do is: do not insert a battery for the built-in distance meter, but that still will make the binocular heavier than quite a few users appreciate.
Gijs van Ginkel

They are already in the Leica production programme, the only thing you have to do is: do not insert a battery for the built-in distance meter, but that still will make the binocular heavier than quite a few users appreciate.

I know. However, I don't want a rangefinder bin with all the compromises that entails. I want a "normal" binocular ... ;)

With Perger prisms.

And I don't really think the weight will be that much higher.

Hermann

Yes, that's why I pulled the trigger on a pair of Swarovski 8.5x42 EL before all the new old stock runs out.

The older Ultravids (pre-HD like my 10x50 circa 2004) had a much better strap design in that the adjustable ends would leave no loose ends to flap around and snag. Otherwise there is this technique:
http://www.wired.com/2014/02/proper-camera-strap-technique/

Do you mean the Leica strap with the plastic hinged clips?

I have one of those straps which I bought in about 1996. It has the two Leica red dots. Its a nice strap. Only in recent years has one of the plastic clips cracked and split, but it still works. I think this strap may have been provided with Trinovid BA/BN 50 models, and was also available as an accessory.

That strap trick looks good - I'll try it with my other strap.

Last edited:
in august/sept

Ah, finally some new rumours to stimulate speculation o:)

The timing actually makes sense, Photokina is in sept this year.

The HD+ update did probably not cost much to Leica, but was suffcient to keep Leica in the game and bought them time to work on something more groundbreaking...

A wide angle perger design would probably be the safest bet, but too close to the Zeiss SF to be really exiting.

Why not stabilisation?

In any case, I don't think the Ultravid HD+ will be replaced. Rather Leica will keep them as the tradional flagship (like Zeiss HT) alongside the fancy new thing which then will top the price range.

Maybe a new model will look like one of these?

Jerry

Attachments

• Marinodoce (6).JPG
    Marinodoce (6).JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Zoomies.png
    Zoomies.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 74
So, does anyone who owns a 42mm Leica Ultravid actually dislike the thumb placement ridges?

I recall my Ultravid 8x42 BR in green which I sold on here back in 2007/08. Optically, they were fantastic, but I grew to HATE those thumb ridges and had to get rid of them. The 32mm models don't have them and I don't see why the 42mm models need them.

This is a current fixation for me because I want a 42mm alpha binocular but can't buy one because the Zeiss SF are not appealing to me from a design and cost perspective, and the Swarovski EL now have that fiddly strap fixing method. That leaves only the Leica with their thumb ridges. I'd wait for the Ultravid replacement, but who knows when that will be?

Dialyt,

The Nikon edg is an Alpha in my eyes, its a beautiful binocular with nice ergonomics. The slc is Alpha also.

I hold the ridges on my UVHD+ asymmetrically left under right over, works a treat.

...I want a 42mm alpha binocular but can't buy one because the Zeiss SF are not appealing to me from a design and cost perspective, and the Swarovski EL now have that fiddly strap fixing method. That leaves only the Leica with their thumb ridges...

The thumb ridges of the Ultravid don't bother me, but with respect to all-around ergonomics I consider the Swarovski EL a much better bin, and I like its optics better as well. If all you are concerned about is the strap fixing method then this is the _perfect time_ to buy the EL. Here in the USA, at least, the slightly older version with conventional strap lugs is widely available and at a substantial discount to boot! For example, EuroOptics has them for $1899.

http://www.eurooptic.com/swarovski-el-swarovision-85x42-binoculars-34108.aspx

--AP

The thumb ridges of the Ultravid don't bother me, but with respect to all-around ergonomics I consider the Swarovski EL a much better bin, and I like its optics better as well.

--AP

Regarding the EL ergonomics they are hardly a much better bin, nor are the optics better; but, you may prefer the optical characteristics of the Swaro's such as the edge to edge sharpness just as I prefer the optical characteristics of the UV HD Plus line.

I currently own the 3 UV HD Plus' listed below, I have had the Zeiss HT in 8x42, and I have spent hours with the Swaro's on safari as well as with the North Alabama Birding Society swapping with other team members.

While admittedly if you are susceptible to rolling ball, safari is the last place you want to use Swaro's because you are panning so much. Having said that, the Swaro's have better edge to edge sharpness if that is important to you, but do not have quite as pleasing an image as either the Zeiss HT's or the Leica UV HD Plus.

My favorite image of any bin you can buy by a hair is the Zeiss HT 8x42, followed ever-so-closely by the Leica UV HD Plus. Then, taking into account the Leica's outstanding contrast, extreme brightness, saturated and brilliant colors; along with the industrial design, all in a small stout and silky package with perfect mechanics, they are above all my go-to bins being for me the best money can buy given the total package. On vast African savannah's, I found the UV HD Plus immersive for mammals and birds. For others it will be something else. I still own an older pair of Zeiss that once retailed for $1,899 that I love.

I just returned from safari near Kigali Rwanda with the UV HD Plus in 7x42, see my report on this sub-forum.

Pic 1: Fish Eagle surrounded by Black Headed Weaver's taken free-hand (without adapter) with the iPhone 6Plus through a UV HD Plus 7x42; Pic 2: 7x42 and 8x42 UV HD Plus' in international travel mode. Pic 3 is Pic 1 cropped.

Attachments

• Eagle1.jpg
    Eagle1.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2205.JPG
    IMG_2205.JPG
    651.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2327.JPG.jpg
    IMG_2327.JPG.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Regarding the EL ergonomics they are hardly a much better bin, nor are the optics better; but, you may prefer the optical characteristics of the Swaro's such as the edge to edge sharpness just as I prefer the optical characteristics of the UV HD Plus line...

Judgments about ergonomics are a matter of taste. As a matter of fact, the ergonomics and utility of the EL are _far superior_ to the Leica for me. I like being able to wrap my fingers around the barrels [Whereas, with the Leica I'm always trying to wrap my fingers around the end of the barrel and instead bumping into that annoying protruding cap on the far side of the hinge]. I like the smoother focus (at least on my unit). I like the much longer eye-relief. I like the really easy eye placement and ability to see through the bin even when not lined up perfectly (reminds me of the Zeiss 7x42 Classic). I also like the much better close focus (I just wish it had a variable-ratio drive. Come on Swarovski, make the EL perfect!).

As for the optics, yes, I prefer a sharp view to the edge. My first good birding bin (Nikon 8x40 Classic Eagle) had a sharp edge and I've missed it ever since in otherwise superior successors. I'm not bothered by rolling ball in the EL (though I have been bothered by it in some other bins, such as the Nikon 10x42 LX). I also like the small boost in both magnification and FOV.

The main point of my reply to Dialyt was to point out that the new strap lug on the EL is no reason to eliminate it from consideration. Rather, because of the deep discount on the older model, now is the time to get the EL!

--AP

Dialyt,

The Nikon edg is an Alpha in my eyes, its a beautiful binocular with nice ergonomics. The slc is Alpha also.

I hold the ridges on my UVHD+ asymmetrically left under right over, works a treat.

The SLC I view as sub-alpha and the design is dated. The Nikon design is a little tacky in my onion.

Re: Holding the Ultravid: I only remember hating the thumb rests in 2008 and having to sell them! I am not sure if I could get on with them any better this time. I wish I had a timeframe for the new Leica binocular.

The thumb ridges of the Ultravid don't bother me, but with respect to all-around ergonomics I consider the Swarovski EL a much better bin, and I like its optics better as well. If all you are concerned about is the strap fixing method then this is the _perfect time_ to buy the EL. Here in the USA, at least, the slightly older version with conventional strap lugs is widely available and at a substantial discount to boot! For example, EuroOptics has them for $1899.

--AP
I can't see any UK suppliers online for the previous EL.

Regarding the EL ergonomics they are hardly a much better bin, nor are the optics better; but, you may prefer the optical characteristics of the Swaro's such as the edge to edge sharpness just as I prefer the optical characteristics of the UV HD Plus line.

I currently own the 3 UV HD Plus' listed below, I have had the Zeiss HT in 8x42, and I have spent hours with the Swaro's on safari as well as with the North Alabama Birding Society swapping with other team members.

While admittedly if you are susceptible to rolling ball, safari is the last place you want to use Swaro's because you are panning so much. Having said that, the Swaro's have better edge to edge sharpness if that is important to you, but do not have quite as pleasing an image as either the Zeiss HT's or the Leica UV HD Plus.

My favorite image of any bin you can buy by a hair is the Zeiss HT 8x42, followed ever-so-closely by the Leica UV HD Plus. Then, taking into account the Leica's outstanding contrast, extreme brightness, saturated and brilliant colors; along with the industrial design, all in a small stout and silky package with perfect mechanics, they are above all my go-to bins being for me the best money can buy given the total package. On vast African savannah's, I found the UV HD Plus immersive for mammals and birds. For others it will be something else. I still own an older pair of Zeiss that once retailed for $1,899 that I love.

I just returned from safari near Kigali Rwanda with the UV HD Plus in 7x42, see my report on this sub-forum.

Pic 1: Fish Eagle surrounded by Black Headed Weaver's taken free-hand (without adapter) with the iPhone 6Plus through a UV HD Plus 7x42; Pic 2: 7x42 and 8x42 UV HD Plus' in international travel mode. Pic 3 is Pic 1 cropped.

If the Leica Ultravid had no thumb rests, I'd buy them. If I were rich, I'd pay Leica to make me a 42mm Ultravid without thumb rests, in military green rubber armour.

I've never seen regular Ultravids to examine or sample their thumb rests. Photos on the Leica website do not show them.

My leather covered 8x42 Ultravid BL (Blackline) which I use very often does not have thumb rests, just long straight objective tubes. You might like them except they are not HD or HD+.

This also appears to be the case with their new green colored limited edition "Safari" binoculars.

Bob

Last edited:
That`s a shame, the Slc optics are superb, and its a joy to hold.

Ever thought about a Ultravid Bl ?, Ok its got the older glass, but its still a nice view.
The BL is very nice to hold. I tried them out some years ago, but the leather is unsuitable for my needs.

I've never seen regular Ultravids to examine or sample their thumb rests. Photos on the Leica website do not show them.

My leather covered 8x42 Ultravid BL (Blackline) which I use very often does not have thumb rests, just long straight objective tubes. You might like them except they are not HD or HD+.

This also appears to be the case with their new green colored limited edition "Safari" binoculars.

Bob

Again the Safari BL is very nice but to expensive. If they made them with a durable armour instead of the leather they would be perfect.

I think Leica should offer an a la carte service for binoculars as they do with some of their cameras. Let people decide what they want from a Leica binocular.

Judgments about ergonomics are a matter of taste. As a matter of fact, the ergonomics and utility of the EL are _far superior_ to the Leica for me. I like being able to wrap my fingers around the barrels [Whereas, with the Leica I'm always trying to wrap my fingers around the end of the barrel and instead bumping into that annoying protruding cap on the far side of the hinge].

--AP

You are right about ergonomics being a matter of taste. I use the UV HD 10x42 and my opinion is the opposite of yours. The UV is perfect to hold. The large diopter knob right next to the focus knob makes the surface area big and easy to work with two index fingers, even with gloves. I use both my index fingers pulling/pushing at the same time to focus. The compact size of the UV makes it a delight to hold. The thumb horns on the bottom work great for me. The left thumb goes under the horn close to the eyepiece and the right thumb over the horn away from the eyepiece making it a stable platform for comfortable viewing. IMO the UV looks and build are better than the SV. The SV 8.5x42 I tried was bigger than the UV 10x42 and the small gap between the barrels made it uncomfortable to wrap my fingers around them. On this point the SF beats the SV handily. The SF is such a joy to hold and handle with superior balance, but the fit and finish were not up to par of SV or UV. I found that the SV 8x32 with narrower barrels makes the gap between them larger and is comfortable to hold and view.

You are right about ergonomics being a matter of taste. I use the UV HD 10x42 and my opinion is the opposite of yours. The UV is perfect to hold. The large diopter knob right next to the focus knob makes the surface area big and easy to work with two index fingers, even with gloves. I use both my index fingers pulling/pushing at the same time to focus. The compact size of the UV makes it a delight to hold. The thumb horns on the bottom work great for me. The left thumb goes under the horn close to the eyepiece and the right thumb over the horn away from the eyepiece making it a stable platform for comfortable viewing. IMO the UV looks and build are better than the SV. The SV 8.5x42 I tried was bigger than the UV 10x42 and the small gap between the barrels made it uncomfortable to wrap my fingers around them. On this point the SF beats the SV handily. The SF is such a joy to hold and handle with superior balance, but the fit and finish were not up to par of SV or UV. I found that the SV 8x32 with narrower barrels makes the gap between them larger and is comfortable to hold and view.
Interesting comments.

For me, the open bridge design of the Swarovski EL and Zeiss SF is intrinsically displeasing from an aesthetic perspective. Yes, it is comfortable to hold, but it's design is too revolutionary and, quite frankly, odd, and even ugly. I hope Leica doesn't introduce an open bridge design. I think Swarovski took some design cues from the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42, since it had an open bridge design almost, and allowed the wrap around grip for all users. They took the central pin out to form the EL.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back