• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wyver Lane Nature Reserve (DWT) (1 Viewer)

A Common Tern down Wyver this morning was the first since last year. It was on site for around 40 minutes before flying south. No Waders of note today but a Common Sandpiper was reported on thursday. Lots of Mallards on the main pool along with a single Gadwall and a single Shoveler.

Good views of a Hobby as it flew in and caught one of many Dragonflies and then perched briefly on a distant post. A Stoat running up and down the far bank looking for a meal.

I've saved the best for last. I'd just got into the car and we had only gone a few yards when we spotted something move on the lane. We both jumped out the car to watch a Grass Snake which had been basking on the lane slither into the long grass. My first ever Snake seen in the wild. No time for a photo but I did get one of the Common Tern.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 58
Wyver Lane Bird Notes June 2010

Highlights for June include Hobby, Green Sandpiper and Cuckoo.

The first Coot broods of the year was two on 8th, a pair with 3 young on the
Tern raft, and a pair with 2 young on the upper pool. Moorhens showed 7 young
on 21st with another pair showing 4 young on 28th. 2 new broods of Mallard
this month including 9 on 8th, and 11 on 23rd.

A site record of 13 Grey Herons including 6 juveniles was recorded on 22nd.
Another site record was 6 Gadwall on 15th. 48 Mallard on 22nd, 2 female Teal on
22nd and 28th, 7 drake Tufted Duck on 1st, 40 Greylag Geese on 8th, c50
Canada Geese on 10th, 2 Cormorants on 1st.

Hobby was seen on 1st and 23rd, 5 Buzzard on 15th, female Sparrowhawk on
22nd and 23rd, and a single Kestrel seen on several dates.

A Green Sandpiper was on the upper pool on 23rd and c100 Lapwing were on
site on 21st. An Oystercatcher on 4th, 8th and 10th.

A Cuckoo was seen flying south over the reserve on 16th. c30 Swallows on 1st.
c25 Swift on 25th, 4 Black-headed Gulls on 25th, 2 Grey Wagtails on 28th, also
a juvenile on 25th. 2 Pied Wagtails on 28th, 5 Stock Doves on 23rd, 5 Linnet
on 23rd. A Lesser Whitethroat in song on 25th, 2 Blackcaps on 22nd and 25th,
2 Chiff Chaffs also on 22nd and 25th. 7 Whitethroat on 22nd including a pair with
3 young. 6 Sedge Warblers on 28th including at least 1 young. Reed Bunting and
Dunnock both feeding young on 21st. And finally 2 Mistle Thrush on 1st.

A little quiet today on site. The only thing of note on the upper pool was 18 Lapwing. The Black-headed Gulls are already starting to return and 17 including 2 juveniles were present today. Other things of note was 3 Grey Wagtails, 2 Cormorants, 2 Buzzards, Sparrowhawk and a party of 5+ Chiff Chaff by the hide.

A surprise find today was a Grasshopper Warbler reeling to the right of the hide. Did see what I think was the bird briefly as it flew from a Willow into some reeds. 50+ Lapwings on the upper pool and a Common Sandpiper on the main pool.

Only wildfowl of note was 4 Teal. Also of note was 2 Grey Wags, 15 BH Gulls, 2 Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, 3 Jays, c5 Chiff Chaff and a Green Woodpecker.

Hi dave, popped down this evening, arrived around 19:54, on the main pool were 3 common terns, 2 of which were juvenile birds, they kept landing on the posts to right of the hide (which i must get the code for) they stayed till roughly 20:15, when they flew east down the derwent,, cracking record of the grasshopper warbler, didnt hear it, but, saw a bird briefly which would fit it, to the left of the viewing platform. Reed and sedge warbler were singing well, common sandpiper was still present, only 1 lapwing, c4 Green Woodpeckers, and a great spotted too.Reed Buntings also heard, good numbers of swallows up and around the valley, probably around the 100 mark.

Hi dave, popped down this evening, arrived around 19:54, on the main pool were 3 common terns, 2 of which were juvenile birds, they kept landing on the posts to right of the hide (which i must get the code for) they stayed till roughly 20:15, when they flew east down the derwent,, cracking record of the grasshopper warbler, didnt hear it, but, saw a bird briefly which would fit it, to the left of the viewing platform. Reed and sedge warbler were singing well, common sandpiper was still present, only 1 lapwing, c4 Green Woodpeckers, and a great spotted too.Reed Buntings also heard, good numbers of swallows up and around the valley, probably around the 100 mark.

Wonder if the Terns are the Carsington birds? You sure about Reed Warbler Michael? Dave may correct me, but I don't think they have been reported down there this year, so would be a good record.

Hi Clive, yes sure it was a reed warbler, it was in the area to the right hand side of the hide, but was only heard and not seen.
Where did the terns breed at carsington, forgot about them being there.

Hi Clive, yes sure it was a reed warbler, it was in the area to the right hand side of the hide, but was only heard and not seen.
Where did the terns breed at carsington, forgot about them being there.

Terns bred on Flat Island for the last 2 years, when I was last up there the 2 juvs were on the mooring platform near watersports, so they were obviously flighted. Good record of Reed W then, sure Dave will be interested in that, if I recall there was a record or 2 last year.

Some good records there, Michael. It will be interesting to see if the Carsington birds have left site, if not then I wonder where they have come from. Incidentally, the last time there was a record of 3 Terns was also an adult and 2 juveniles at the beginning of August 2005 but these were Arctics.

Clive's right, it's the first record of Reed Warbler this year and a welcome addition to what is generally a quiet month. Did you notice whether the Green Woods consisted of some juveniles?

Hi dave, im pretty sure there was 1 juvenile, but cant be 100%, One bird flew across, causing another 1 to fly out, also they were calling to each other once they had landed. I put c4 as i deffinately saw 3 birds, and there was another bird but im not sure if it was from the same 3 or seperate.

A good morning today down Wyver. The Grasshopper Warbler was still present and was reeling to the right of the hide. The 3 Common Terns that were seen on saturday evening appeared about 11.00hrs so they might have been spending time at the nearby river gardens. 5 Teal and a female Gadwall. A Common Sandpiper on the main pool. A Black-tailed Godwit dropped in onto the main pool just before 13.00hrs and was still there when I left at 13.45hrs. Lots of Swallows, Housemartins, Sandmartins and Swifts, 3 Grey Wagtails, 3 Pied Wagtails and the first Kingfisher record this year.

Received a text from Dan Martin last night who was down Wyver Lane. The Godwit was still around the main pool. The Gropper was still with there and there were possibly 2 birds. A Reed Warbler singing away. A Water Rail showing well on the mud. A female Mandarin showing on the upper pool. Also Little Owl, Green Woodpecker and lots of Hirundines too. Probably one of the best days down Wyver for some time.

2 Grasshopper Warblers down Wyver today. One to the right of the hide and one to the left of the mound. Also a Reed Warbler singing to the right of the hide. c170 Lapwings around the upper pool, no other Waders seen. 5 Teal still, also 3 Buzzards, 4 Stock Doves and a Grey Wagtail.

A steady day down Wyver today. As soon as I got out the car I could hear 2 Groppers reeling close by and before long I picked one up and managed a few shots. A walk down the lane a little later produced what I presume was a third one unless one of the previous two had flown down there with me.

The bottom of the lane was alive with birds today. An adult Whitethroat was feeding two young. c10 Swallows on a barbed wire fence including several young. An adult and 2 juvenile Linnet. Willow Warbler, Chiff Chaff, Goldfinches including juvs and other bits and bobs. By the Butts Pool which is now void of water was a female Pheasant with at least 8 well grown young.

A Common Sandpiper was around the main pool together with c150 Lapwing. Also 1 Teal, 1 Shoveler, 5 Stock Doves and 25+ Mistle Thrush.

The 2 juvenile and 1 adult Common Tern were again about and were joined by a second adult. At first it was thought these could be the Carsington Terns but they're still hanging about there so where these come from I don't know. One train of thought was that they could have bred at some nearby fishing pools in Belper.

2 photos of a Gropper and one of 3 Common Terns (adult and 2 juvs)

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 55
A steady day down Wyver today. As soon as I got out the car I could hear 2 Groppers reeling close by and before long I picked one up and managed a few shots. A walk down the lane a little later produced what I presume was a third one unless one of the previous two had flown down there with me.

The bottom of the lane was alive with birds today. An adult Whitethroat was feeding two young. c10 Swallows on a barbed wire fence including several young. An adult and 2 juvenile Linnet. Willow Warbler, Chiff Chaff, Goldfinches including juvs and other bits and bobs. By the Butts Pool which is now void of water was a female Pheasant with at least 8 well grown young.

A Common Sandpiper was around the main pool together with c150 Lapwing. Also 1 Teal, 1 Shoveler, 5 Stock Doves and 25+ Mistle Thrush.

The 2 juvenile and 1 adult Common Tern were again about and were joined by a second adult. At first it was thought these could be the Carsington Terns but they're still hanging about there so where these come from I don't know. One train of thought was that they could have bred at some nearby fishing pools in Belper.

2 photos of a Gropper and one of 3 Common Terns (adult and 2 juvs)

Nice Groppers Dave - good to get views, so any pics are a bonus! where was this one? vegetation doesnt look too thick?

Highlights today were 2 Grasshopper Warblers including one again showing well opposite the gate. 2 Kestrel, 2 Buzzards, Sparrowhawk, a Hobby through this morning, an immature female Peregrine caused mass panic after lunch as it flew in from the south and made a couple of circuits of the main pool before flying north west.

c250 Lapwing, Common Sandpiper and a juv Green Woodpecker. Lots of Butterflies about today, 2 Small Skippers, 2 Small Coppers, Comma, Green-veined White, Ringlets, Meadow Browns, Gatekeeper and a Peacock.

Loads of police down there today including dog units and the helicoptor overhead but that's another story.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back