• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wyver Lane Nature Reserve (DWT) (1 Viewer)

Still at least 2 Groppers reeling near the hide this morning, also a Reed Warbler singing in front of the hide. Also on site was Shoveler, Teal, 3 Common Terns (adult and 2 juvs), 14 BH Gulls including 2 juvs, 7 Stock Doves, 8 Whitethroats including a family party of 6, 3 Mistle Thrush, Jay, Green Woodpecker and a juv Great Spot Wood.

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 48
3 Common Terns still present this morning (adult and 2 juvs), Common Sandpiper, 220 Lapwings, Shoveler, Grasshopper Warbler, Reed Warbler, 35 BH Gulls inc 5 juvs, 2 Buzzards, Kestrel and female Sparrowhawk.

Hi Dave went down to wyver lateish this evening,

Got 3 grasshopper warblers calling, after about 30 minutes 3 were distinguishable, also reed warbler singing too, sedge warbler and reed bunting also noted, 196 lapwing, 96 canada geese, around 25 greylags, 1 kestrel

Also of interest was another warbler, it was an acro, of the views i got, as it was flitting in and out of the reeds/bushes were

Noticeable yellowish buff wash to its breast and flanks, which was totally un marked, also white throat patch, prominent creamy yellow stripe above the eye, contrasting with a really dark head (full head not seen) back was a rich brown colour and quite streaked also, It just rang bells as something different than sedge, So opinions welcome!

Hi Dave went down to wyver lateish this evening,

Got 3 grasshopper warblers calling, after about 30 minutes 3 were distinguishable, also reed warbler singing too, sedge warbler and reed bunting also noted, 196 lapwing, 96 canada geese, around 25 greylags, 1 kestrel

Also of interest was another warbler, it was an acro, of the views i got, as it was flitting in and out of the reeds/bushes were

Noticeable yellowish buff wash to its breast and flanks, which was totally un marked, also white throat patch, prominent creamy yellow stripe above the eye, contrasting with a really dark head (full head not seen) back was a rich brown colour and quite streaked also, It just rang bells as something different than sedge, So opinions welcome!

Thanks for that, Michael. Interesting sounding Warbler too. Obviously difficult without seeing or hearing it.....did you hear it call or sing at all? Apart from a common Acro I really can't think what it could be. Your description sounds like it's just a Sedge to me but if not then I don't know. The only other Acros similar to Sedge that I can think of are Aquatic and Moustached which you don't need me to tell you would be highly unlikely. I'll be down in the morning so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Hiya Dave, unfortunately the bird didnt call at all, it was just so busy flitting through and feeding, We had parked the car on the right hand side and there is a bush on its own and it was around there, just a few yards to thr right of where one of the groppers were. As i said it just seemed different, hopefully you may be able to locate it.

At least 2 Groppers still reeling today and one still showing nicely just to the left of the gate. Also present today 40 Greylag Geese, 30 Canada Geese, 3 Teal, Shoveler, Buzzard, 2 Kestrel, Hobby, 31 BH Gull, 3 adult Common Gulls was a good record as they are only normally recorded in the winter in small numbers. 3 Common Terns (ad and 2 juvs), 2 Grey Wagtails, 5 Stock Doves inc a juv and 7 Mistle Thrush.

Photos of 2 of the Common Gulls and a juv BH Gull. Juv Stock Dove, and an adult Stock Dove.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 58
nice to have common gull there. I wonder where the terns roost for the night? Belper river gardens maybe?

Yes a good record of Common Gull. We think that the Terns could possibly have bred at the fishing pool on the lane. From what I gather it looks quite suitable and as far as I know they haven't been seen at the river gardens much, if at all.

Got down Wyver today and at first things were a little quiet but it soon picked up after a while. Around the main pool was 2 Mute Swans, 2 Cormorants, 27 Greylag Geese, 91 Mallards, 2 Teal, 2 Grey Herons, 103 Lapwings, 3 Common Terns (ad and 2 juvs), Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail, Grasshopper Warbler and 2 Whitethroats.

An impressive count of 16 Stock Doves including 9 juvs were feeding in the field to the left of the hide. From the mound was a Green Woodpecker, 3 Bullfinch flew over, 2 Buzzards, 2 Kestrels and a Hobby (twice). A Peregrine then flew down the valley and had a brief encounter with a Sparrowhawk over the woods before disappearing south. Maybe one of the Derby Cathedral birds as one has been seen 3 times over the past 10 days.

This evening, 1 Grasshopper warbler (maybe a 2nd but not 100% sure), 1 Hobby, 1 Kestrel, c160 Lapwing, the greylags came in just as it was turning dark, as did 40 or so canada geese.

We were watching a good number of bats tonight too, i would say around 12.
Has anyone any idea of what species are around there?

Sorry, Michael, but I can't help with the bats. I have seen a couple down there over the years but I'm not sure what species.

Most will already know by now but there was a Garganey down Wyver today. If I'd arrived 5 minutes after I did I would never have seen it. I walked into the hide and there was another birder who told me about it. I had good but brief views before it swam into the right hand corner of the main pool never to be seen again. As there has been a few Garganey around the county of late I even said to the missus that I fancy getting one today. This is a very welcome patch tick for me and is the first record since July 2006.

Fairly quiet otherwise apart from c170 Lapwing, juv Common Tern, 4 Grey Herons, Gropper and 2 Teal.

Hi Dave thanks for the message about the garganey, wasnt able to get there today. Hopefully it will appear again.

No problem. Unfortunatley I can't get back down there for at least a couple of days so If anybody does go down I hope it can be re-located.

Well I did manage to get back down for a couple of hours this afternoon. No sign of the Garganey. In fact it was fairly quiet down there. Only a Grasshopper Warbler, Kingfisher and the first Snipe of the autumn of note.

Wyver Lane Bird Notes for July

Highlights for July include Water Rail, Little Ringed Plover, Black-tailed Godwit,
Common Terns, Grasshopper Warbler and Reed Warbler.

What is normally regarded as a quiet month has in fact been quite
productive with a few firsts for the year with the odd surprise thrown in for
good measure.

Wildfowl this month include 91 Mallard on 31st, 5 Teal on 12th, 13th and 15th.
A Shoveler seen on several dates from the 3rd, female Gadwall on 3rd, 12th,
28th and 30th. Female Mandarin on 12th and 16th, 3 Tufted Duck on 14th.
Also 2 Mute Swans on several dates, 2 Cormorants throughout the month.
3 Grey Heron on 12th and 30th. 102 Canada Geese on 30th and 78 Greylag
Geese also on 30th. A Water Rail was seen on the evening of the 12th. 11
Pheasants on 20th including 2 males and a female with 8 well grown young.

Raptors include a Sparrowhawk on 7th, 10th and 31st. 3 Buzzard on 13th and
28th. 4 Kestrel in the air together on 28th. Hobby on 1st, 8th, 21st and 31st.
A Peregrine on 21st, 28th and 31st.

Waders include a Little Ringed Plover on 1st, this bird was also seen on the
last day of June but was mistakenly left off the notes. c250 Lapwing on 21st.
A Black-tailed Godwit on 12th and 3 Common Sandpipers on 15th.

A maximum of 41 Black-headed Gulls on 19th including 3 juveniles. 3 adult
Common Gulls made a brief appearance on the afternoon of the 26th. A single
Lesser Black-backed Gull on 11th. An adult Common Tern on 3rd and an adult
and 2 juvenile Common Terns on 10th, 12th, 19th, 22nd, 24th and 26th. Then
2 adults and 2 juveniles on 20th. An adult and the 2 juveniles still remained at
the end of the month.

16 Stock Doves including 9 juveniles were feeding in the field next to the hide
on 31st. A Little Owl was heard calling on 12th. 30+ Swift on 10th. A Kingfisher
on 12th, 20th and 31st. 4 Green Woodpeckers on 10th and a juvenile on 21st.
A juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker on 22nd. 40+ Housemartins on 21st and
c100 Swallow on 10th. 3 Grey Wagtails on 7th and 12th. 3 Pied Wagtails on 12th.
25+ Mistle Thrush on 16th and 20th. A Grasshopper Warbler was heard reeling
on 10th increasing to 3 birds on 24th. Juvenile Sedge Warbler on 3rd. A Reed
Warbler seen and heard from 10th. 8 Whitethroat on 22nd. Garden Warbler
feeding young on 17th. 2 Blackcaps on 7th. 5+ Chiff Chaff on 7th. A Willow
Warbler on 20th. 5 Jays on 30th. A Linnet over on 8th and 3 on 20th. 3 Bullfinch
flew over on 31st.

Sorry about the lack of updates but my PC died 3 weeks ago. I am currently using my brothers' laptop. All being well I should be back online soon. All the best.

First trip to Wyver for a few weeks and a satisfactory few hours too. From the hide was 89 Teal, 7 Gadwall (site record), 2 Shoveler, 2 Wigeon, female Tufted Duck and many Mallards. Also a Water Rail, c150 Lapwing, 5 Snipe, 4 Grey Heron, 2 Cormorants, 24 Coots, 2 Buzzards, Sparrowhawk, c20 Housemartin, c20 Swallow and 2 Sandmartin.

Several Chiff Chaffs were seen including one in song. 2 Blackcaps, Whitethroat, c30 Goldfinches and a juv Great Spot Wood. In the field between the northern boundary and Lawn Cottage I caught a brief glimpse of what must have been a chat sp but I couldn't be sure exactly what. Despite searching I didn't see the bird again.

Wyver Lane Bird Notes August 2010

Highlights include Garganey, Grasshopper Warbler, Water Rail, Hobby and
Tree Pipit.

The first Garganey since July 2006 was seen briefly on the morning of the 1st.
The bird swam out of view on the right hand side of the main pool and was not
seen again. 2 Teal on 1st then numbers had increased to c60 on 26th. 4 Shoveler
on 16th, 18th and 23rd. A female Mandarin on 9th and then 3 on 23rd. 5 Grey Heron
on 22nd. 38 Greylag Geese on 1st. 3 adult Mute Swans also on 1st and 2 Cormorants
on 26th. A Water Rail has been seen on several dates and 2 including an adult and a
juvenile were seen on 28th. 5 Pheasants including a female and 4 young on 16th.

4 Buzzards were seen on 16th and 23rd. 3 Kestrel on 1st, a Peregrine on 6th and
23rd. Hobby on 4th, 13th and 16th. Sparrowhawk on 3rd, 10th, 16th, 19th and 28th.

Waders include 250+ Lapwing on 23rd, a Snipe on 3rd, 2 on 10th and 11th and then
3 on 26th. 2 Common Sandpipers on 4th.

19 Black-headed Gulls were seen on 16th and a juvenile Common Gull on 9th. A juvenile
Common Tern on 1st. A Tree Pipit was in the large oak tree at the northern end of the
reserve on 18th. Kingfisher which has been hard to come by throughout the year finally
started to show well with many sightings during the month. 6 Stock Doves on 9th.
4 Jay on 6th. Grasshopper Warbler on 1st and 3rd, Whitethroat on 1st and 18th and a
Chiff Chaff on 23rd. 6 Swift on 19th, c20 Housemartins on 11th and c300 Swallows on
23rd.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back