• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wyver Lane Nature Reserve (DWT) (1 Viewer)

A few highlights from today. 13 Greylags, 90 Teal, 8 Shoveler, 3 Gadwall, 2 Grey Herons, Buzzard, 208 Lapwings, 10 Snipe, 100+ Housemartins, 50+ Swallow, 2 Chiff Chaffs, 20+ Goldfinch, Green Woodpecker, 2 Stock Doves and 5 Pheasants.

There's still a bit of mud hanging on in there so there's still hope for a decent Wader before it's too late.

A little late but a few highlights from Thursday. 4 Shoveler, 2 Gadwall, 3 Cormorants and 25 Greylags all on the main pool. Good numbers of Swallows and Housemartins moving down the valley. A little passage of Meadow Pipits with 14 over in under an hour. There had been good numbers of them over the moors too.

A good few hours down Wyver today with a bit of passage once the mist lifted. Around the reserve itself was 105 Greylag Geese, 3 Grey Heron, 2 Shoveler, 18 Snipe, c200 Lapwing and c100 BH Gulls.

A couple of Skylarks over whilst I was in the hide but walking down the lane and on the mound with Clive and a lot of birds were going over. c60 Meadow Pipits, similar number of Swallows too. There were many more birds moving mainly south that were going over without calling so god knows what could have been up there.

Also down the lane was a flock of 10 Bullfinch and a Kingfisher was around the upper pool. Raptors include 4 Buzzard and 2 Sparrowhawks.

Wyver Lane Bird Notes September 2010

Maximum counts for Wildfowl for September include 9 Cormorants
on 12th, 8 Grey Heron on 1st, 105 Greylag Geese on 30th, c40
Canada Geese on 25th, female Mandarin on 22nd, 11 Wigeon on
3rd, 7 Gadwall on 7th, 100+ Teal on 8th, 350+ Mallard on 22nd,
9 Shoveler on 26th, a Pochard on 3rd, 10 Tufted Duck on 22nd,
4 drake Goosander on 13th and 8 female types on 30th.

2 Water Rails were seen on 2nd, 150+ Black-headed Gulls on 1st.
25 Coots were counted on 16th.

4 Buzzards were in the air on 30th, 2 Sparrowhawks also on 30th.
300+ Lapwings on 1st and 18 Snipe on 22nd and 30th.

On the 22nd there were c200 Swallows and c150 House Martins
moving south. 2 Sand Martins on 7th. A Sedge Warbler was seen
on 5th, 3 Chiff Chaff, 2 Blackcap and a Whitethroat all on 7th.
c30 Goldfinch on 7th. 5 Pheasant on 15th, and 2 Green Woodpeckers
on 22nd.

On the morning of the 30th the reserve was blanketed in fog with
very little movement noted. As soon as the fog lifted, at least 60
Meadow Pipits were noted moving south or east. Also 2 Skylarks
flew over heading east. Many more flocks of small Passerines were
seen moving down the valley but apart from several Linnets
that were heard the majority of the rest were not calling.

Got home early for a change, so decided upon the last few hours at Wyver instead of Ogston. Arrived at 5.30 ish and the main pool looked deserted except for a few teal mooching around under the vegetation.
It started to rain so decided to sit in the hide (which I seldom do) and the first bird was a lovely Kingfisher hopping from post to post just to my left. It settled upon the water level marker and proceeded to hover like a giant hummingbird and fish. I watched it take two sticklebacks before a jogger flushed it.............however, it kept returning right in front of the hide - I had my scope but no camera and regretted it as it perched in such a classic way.

After half an hour or so I noticed 3 Shoveler emerge and then just after 11 Goosander dropped in and started to preen. Another 6 Shoveler dropped in to make 9 in total - this was more like it! I could hear Wigeon whistling but could not see them and assumed they were on the river or the fields out of view. A sole Little Grebe then showed itself.

I checked a few tit flocks and then walked to the mound to view the top pool - the high water levels seem to have put off the Snipe and I could only locate a single Lapwing. There were plenty of Mallard here and more Teal but little else. Two Green Woodpeckers were calling to each other - one behind me in the wood and one across the river.

Greylags circled the pool at dusk and on the way out I heard a female Tawny Owl calling and then getting a reply from Crich Lane woods - assume the bird we hear most evenings at home.

I have had a few short visits to Bessalone again and enjoyed close views of regular woodland birds, and also witnessed some southerly migration - mainly Skylark, Mipits and Woodpigeon, but good numbers of Jays passing over yesterday.

I have also managed to get the Nuthatch in the garden on suet from the butchers - I found an old log in the woods that I drilled holes in and filled with softened suet. I then screwed it to a post inbetween teh Apple tree and Holly for cover. Tits love it but I have had Greaterpecker, Treecreeper and now Nuthatch on my manufactured dead tree.

A slow start to the day but it ended up being quite a rewarding few hours down there. Very little on the main pool so I went onto the viewing mound to watch a bit of Visible Migration (vis mig).

Birds of note passing through the valley were 70+ Meadow Pipit, 4 Skylark, 45 Swallow, 1 House Martin, 21 Pied Wagtail, 22 Redwing, 20+ Chaffinch, 25+ Siskin, 9 Greenfinch and 5 Linnet. Just like last Thursday there were 100's and 100's more birds going through without calling. The quiet on the main pool was shattered when an impressive 142 Greylag Geese dropped in.

Other stuff of note include, 5 Shoveler, 5 Teal, 1 Wigeon, 46 Bh Gull, 2 Lessers, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, 4 Jay, 6 Robins, 11 Long-tailed Tit, Kingfisher, Lapwing, Snipe, Green Wood and Grey Wag.

Bizarrely I had a Parrot sp fly high over the viewing mound. Even more bizarrely is that up at Carsington on Tuesday Clive and I also had a Parrot sp flying around the visitor centre.

Last edited:
A slow start to the day but it ended up being quite a rewarding few hours down there. Very little on the main pool so I went onto the viewing mound to watch a bit of Visible Migration (vis mig).

Birds of note passing through the valley were 70+ Meadow Pipit, 4 Skylark, 45 Swallow, 1 House Martin, 21 Pied Wagtail, 22 Redwing, 20+ Chaffinch, 25+ Siskin, 9 Greenfinch and 5 Linnet. Just like last Thursday there were 100's and 100's more birds going through without calling. The quiet on the main pool was shattered when an impressive 142 Greylag Geese dropped in.

Other stuff of note include, 5 Shoveler, 5 Teal, 1 Wigeon, 46 Bh Gull, 2 Lessers, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, 4 Jay, 6 Robins, 11 Long-tailed Tit, Kingfisher, Lapwing, Snipe, Green Wood and Grey Wag.

Bizarrely I had a Parrot sp fly high over the viewing mound. Even more bizarrely is that up at Carsington on Tuesday Clive and I also had a Parrot sp flying around the visitor centre.

Dave you need to carry a net, there is a £1000 reward for that escaped parrot from Matlock!
It sounds like you are also getting into the vis mig scene, I for one find it fascinating, would love to do a proper session or two somewhere local.

Dave you need to carry a net, there is a £1000 reward for that escaped parrot from Matlock!
It sounds like you are also getting into the vis mig scene, I for one find it fascinating, would love to do a proper session or two somewhere local.

Got a net off ebay today. Gonna get that bugger tomorrow. Really enjoyed the vis mig yesterday. It's just frustrating that there were 100's of birds going through that wasn't calling.

A few hours down Wyver this afternoon and a site tick to boot. In fact, I'm pretty sure I had two site ticks today. On the main pool was c20 Teal, 6 Shoveler, 4 redhead Goosander, 4 Wigeon, 3 Snipe and c75 BH Gull.

A Kingfisher was around the upper pool, 5+ Buzzards in the air, also a Sparrowhawk. I went to the viewing mound for a couple of hours in case any stuff was moving through the valley. I guess if there was stuff moving then it would have been this morning but I couldn't get there this morning so I had to make do with this afternoon.

I'd been there a while when I picked out a small bird flying south and heading towards me. I got my bins on it and thought it looked interesting. As it got closer I realised it was a male Yellowhammer. Not the rarest of birds but rare for Wyver and a site tick for me. A couple more bits from the mound was a Green Woodpecker, Stock Dove, Grey Wagtail, 8 LBB Gulls and 4 Redwing.

The other prob site tick was a raptor that appeared from the North. When I seen it with my naked eye I thought it looked quite bulky and Buzzard like. When I got my bins on it I realised it was an Accipiter. It looked broad winged, barrel chested and very powerful as it drifted over the reserve. When It flew directly over the viewing mound it didn't actually look as big as I first thought so in the end I decided it must be a male Goshawk. I should be happy with it but despite perfect conditions and good views I just can't bring myself to say it was a definite Gos.

Last edited:
I didn't think I'd surpass last weeks 142 Greylags but today there were 163 down Wyver. Don't know where they're all coming from but these are pretty impressive figures. Not long after my arrival I had two Swans flying south west which despite being quite high I thought they could possibly have been Whoopers. Two were seen a little earlier flying over Barbrook so they could well have been them.

Around the main pool was c60 Canadas, 3 Grey Heron, 3 Cormorants, 35 BH Gull, 7 Snipe, 2 Buzzards, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, 9 Stock Dove, 5 Pheasant and a Chiff Chaff.

From the viewing mound 32 Redwing, 3 Skylark, 3 Meadow Pipit, 4 Greenfinch, 10 Chaffinch, 2 Linnet, 4 Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail and a Little Owl.

Just before leaving 2 Swallows flew through.

A few hours down Wyver this morning. On the main pool today was 3 Shoveler, 23 Teal, 3 Wigeon, 4 Grey Heron. c60 BH Gull and 14 Snipe. 2 Kingfishers gave good views on the posts in front of the hide.

2 Buzzards and a Sparrowhawk the Raptors of note. 3 Skylark over, also a Grey Wag and Green Woodpecker. A single Pink-footed Goose with c40 Greylags.

A few hours down Wyver this morning. On the main pool today was 3 Shoveler, 23 Teal, 3 Wigeon, 4 Grey Heron. c60 BH Gull and 14 Snipe. 2 Kingfishers gave good views on the posts in front of the hide.

2 Buzzards and a Sparrowhawk the Raptors of note. 3 Skylark over, also a Grey Wag and Green Woodpecker. A single Pink-footed Goose with c40 Greylags.

Hi Dave and thanks for a rather pleasant morning.
Cliff and I both enjoyed your company and we are both sure that we will meet again in the near future.
You will find the shots that we took of the 2 Kingfishers at :---

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/578805066SNZktd?start=0

Regards Ian :t:

Last edited:
A satisfactory few hours down Wyver today. Around the two pools were c75 Greylags, 74 Canadas, 7 Wigeon, 3 Shoveler, 30 Teal, female Goosander, 3 Grey Heron, 14 Snipe, 2 Lapwings, c80 BH Gulls, 2 LBB Gulls, Kingfisher, Green Woodpecker, 4 Jay and a single Mute Swan.

A bit of Vis Migging from the mound produced 29 Meadow Pipits, 10 Skylark, 9 Linnet, 9 Siskin, 12 Goldfinch, 2 Grey Wagtails, 2 Pied Wagtails and 2 Greenfinch.

I forgot to add that there were two Buzzards including one seen with Moorhen prey.

Last edited:
Fairly quiet down Wyver today and the only real highlight was a brief visit from a female Goldeneye early this morning. The main pool held a Little Grebe, 162 BH Gulls, 2 Shoveler and 8 Snipe. The upper pool had 23 Teal and 2 Mute Swans. Other birds of note were 5 Cormorants, 3 Buzzards, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, 4 Pied Wags, Grey Wag, 6 Siskin, 6 Fieldfare, Linnet, Greenfinch and 2 Coal Tits.

Wyver Lane Bird Notes (October)

Highlights include Yellowhammer and Autumn migration

Wildfowl counts for the month include Little Grebe on 5th
and 15th. 9 Cormorants on 25th, 4 Grey Heron on 12th
and 16th. 2 Mute Swans on 28th. 2 probable Whooper
Swans over south west on 12th. A single Pink-footed
Goose with Greylags on 16th. Greylag Geese have been
seen in good numbers this month with 142 on 7th. This
figure was surpassed on 12th when 163 noisily flew in
and on to the main pool. 74 Canada Geese on 19th.
Wigeon have been in short supply and the best count was
just 7 on 16th and 19th. Teal faired better with 53 on 21st.
40 Mallard on 5th. 9 Shoveler also on 5th. 11 redhead
Goosanders on 7th.

A probable male Goshawk flew south over the reserve on
10th. 4 Buzzard on 7th and 10th. One was seen with
Moorhen prey on 19th.

5 Pheasants on 12th. A Water Rail on 7th and 28th. 7
Moorhen on 25th. 14 Snipe on 16th and 22 on 24th. Gulls
this month include 192 Black-headed Gulls on 7th, 8 Lesser
black Backed Gulls on 10th and 12 on 15th.

The viewing mound has proved to be a good addition to
the reserve as it makes a good vantage point to watch and
listen for Autumn migration. Counts from the 7th include
70+ Meadow Pipit, 4 Skylark, 22 Redwing, 21 Pied Wagtail,
45 Swallow, 1 Housemartin, 20+ Chaffinch, 9 Greenfinch
and 5 Linnet. 100's more birds were flying through on this
date without calling. Other counts include 29 Meadow Pipit,
10 Skylark, 9 Linnet and 9 Siskin all on 19th. Also 35
Fieldfare, 30 Redwing, 11 Skylark and 5 Pied Wagtails on
28th and 8 Skylark on 25th.

The last Hirundine of the year was 2 Swallows on 12th.
Kingfishers have been seen regularly and 2 were seen on
16th. Other birds of note this month include a Chiff Chaff
on 12th, Little Owl seen on several dates and 2 were heard
calling to eachother on 28th. A Tawny Owl was sitting on
the Wyver Lane Reserve sign on 7th. 2 Green Woodpeckers
on 5th and 15th. 32 Redwing on 12th. 4 Jays on 7th and
19th. 10 Stock Doves on 15th. 27 Long-tailed Tits on 15th.
4 Raven on 15th and a site rare male Yellowhammer flew
south on 10th.

Last edited:
Fairly uneventful few hours this morning in cool and breezy conditions. Birds on the main pool include 3 Mute Swan, Grey Heron, Cormorant, 2 Goosander, 130 Bh Gulls, 2 LBB Gulls and a Snipe. On the upper pool was 33 Teal, 3 Wigeon and 3 Shoveler.

Birds flying over include Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, 2 Skylark, Green Woodpecker, 30 Starling, c50 Redwing, 7 Fieldfare and 20+ Goldfinch.

The lane was very active with common birds with an obvious increase in Blackbirds and Robins. Also a couple of Goldcrests and a Treecreeper.

A Pintail on the upper pool down Wyver Lane today. The first record since early October 2007. Possibly the same young male bird that had been at Carsington. Network Rail were setting off detonators on the tracks which was spooking the Wildfowl and enabled me to get a count of 57 Teal. Also 5 Shoveler, 5 Wigeon and a drake Tufted Duck.

Other birds of note was Grey Heron, Cormorant, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, 3 Skylark, 14 Fieldfare, 22 Long-tailed Tits, c100 BH Gull, 1st winter Common Gull and a male Bullfinch.

It's often tough going down Wyver most days but it was tougher than usual today due to the reserve being blanketed in thick fog when I arrived. Got there around 08.30 and it took a good couple of hours before it started to lift.

On the pools were 3 Cormorants, 115 BH Gulls, Grey Heron, 11 Moorhen, 3 Snipe, 12 Teal, 4 Shoveler, 2 Wigeon, male Goosander, 6 Lapwings and a Little Grebe.

Birds from the viewing mound include Buzzard, 22 Fieldfare, 19 Siskin, 2 Skylark, Green Woodpecker, GS Woodpecker, 2 Greenfinch, Goldcrest, Pied Wagtail, 2 Little Owl, Jay, 9 Long-tailed Tit, 3 Pheasant and a Raven.

I've finally sussed my camera out so I can start posting crap photos again. Here's two from today. Not that you need telling but the first one is a drake Shoveler, and the second a Grey Heron.

Attachments

• 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 077.jpg
    077.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 63
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back