• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (3 Viewers)

Adding to my lifers from So Cal, I picked up a Black-crowned Night-heron at a local duck pond. The visit was for my brother's birthday (he's 6). Was not expecting a lifer there at all, especially considering the 50ish birds were all mallards, and many domestic types too.

My latest 'lifer' is Gray's Grasshopper Warbler on my family farm her on Hokkaido. I saw it yesterday afternoon as I was doing some birdwatching after work.

My latest 'lifer' is Gray's Grasshopper Warbler on my family farm her on Hokkaido. I saw it yesterday afternoon as I was doing some birdwatching after work.

Banzai, Rena :clap::clap::clap:. It's good to see you getting to grips with warblers. Not very easy are they :eek!:?

Chris

White-billed Diver/Yellow-billed Loon today on Heimaey, first record for Iceland. It had the decency to wait four days for me until I could get over to see it.

Way to go, Edward. I still need that one for my "life list". They do sometimes appear on the Lake of the Ozarks here in Missouri. But I have never had occasion to see one. Maybe some day!

White-billed Diver/Yellow-billed Loon today on Heimaey, first record for Iceland. It had the decency to wait four days for me until I could get over to see it.

I'm amazed that this is the first for Iceland. I would have thought a bird with such a northerly range would have been a regular. All the sweeter when it's a first. Did you find it?

Twite.

Way to go, Edward. I still need that one for my "life list". They do sometimes appear on the Lake of the Ozarks here in Missouri. But I have never had occasion to see one. Maybe some day!

Thanks Larry. I also saw some other nice birds that I suppose don't make it often to Missouri: a few thousand Atlantic Puffins, and some Great Skuas, Manx Shearwaters and Sooty Shearwaters. Also a Minke Whale alongside the ferry (don't tell me they appear occasionally in the Lake of the Ozarks!).

I'm amazed that this is the first for Iceland. I would have thought a bird with such a northerly range would have been a regular. All the sweeter when it's a first. Did you find it?

Twite.

Yes, it's a long overdue bird in Iceland (no record of Black-throated Diver either here) but one which we knew had to come here - there's a lot of coastline and not many people here. A friend of mine found it on Wednesday but I couldn't make it there until today. I'd still much rather see a summer-plumaged adult in somewhere like Chukotka but it was a good day out.

Edward said:
Thanks Larry. I also saw some other nice birds that I suppose don't make it often to Missouri: a few thousand Atlantic Puffins, and some Great Skuas, Manx Shearwaters and Sooty Shearwaters. Also a Minke Whale alongside the ferry (don't tell me they appear occasionally in the Lake of the Ozarks!).

No, Edward, I have not seen any of the birds you mention above or the Minke Whale in Missouri. But, to assure you that the Yellow-billed Loon has been seen in Missouri I include this blog entry to set your mind at ease that this species has been seen here. ;)

* I had the wrong lake, however. The bird was seen at Table Rock Lake, somewhat south of Lake of the Ozarks. (Both lakes are in Missouri.)

Sunda Golden-Oriole on Pulau Rambut (Java) after a trip to New Guinea which kept me just below 100 lifers.
I will comment on my trip later (should have been 100+), but I guess I shouldn't complain... I have seen Bruijn's Brush-Turkey.

At trip to Colorado for a neice's wedding last month gave me two life birds, near Longmont, Colorado, USA:
Dickcissel July 24, 2011
Cassin's Sparrow July 25, 2011

Finally saw a couple of Common Sandpipers today at Manningtree in Essex - surprising really that it's taken me until now to see one as I've seen Purple Sandpipers and Curlew Sandpipers which should be rarer by all accounts. Just the way it goes sometimes I guess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back