• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (11 Viewers)

Parrot Crossbill today in a forest outside Uppsala. Had Grey-headed Woodpecker too half an hour before which was also a lifer!

Last edited:
No actual lifers from my trip to East Anglia so far, but two potential future armchair ticks. Muscovy duck at Ely (powers that be not yet convinced that they're self-sustaining, and having seen them I can see why!) and the sacred ibis at Cley Marshes (NWT volunteers are convinced that it's one of the feral birds from the continent, but not sure that can be proved?).

BRAMBLING

in COLORADO

only the 3rd state record, and the first since 1983! Wasn't even on the radar as a possible ABA bird this year!

The finch hits just keep on coming:

Following up on a report of a massive mixed flock of Rosy-finches about a half hour out of town, I also added today:

Brown-capped Rosy-Finch

Most of the flock were Interior Gray-crowned Rosy-finches, but there were quite a few nice Hepburn's in the mix. Only managed 1 Brown-capped, although a few more had been reported. There was a reported Black Rosy-Finch in the flock as well, but lighting and behavior (try sorting through 200 Rosy-finches that never stay still for 30 seconds!) prevented me from finding this bird, which thanks to the Brambling is now the only regularly occurring finch left to see for me on the ABA checklist

Last edited:
A very productive walk at Reddens Island this morning produced four lifers
Lovely Fairywren; Graceful Honeyeater; Satin Flycatcher & Rufous Fantail

First proper morning birding in rainforests near Kuranda produced four lifers plus many other calls that are a complete mystery!
Lifers were Large Billed Scrubwren; Pale Yellow Robin; Spotted Catbird and Victoria's Riflebird.

World #4443 Red-cheeked Wattle-eye (Aweta, Ghana 29.11.12)

The final one of my 33 lifers on a 15 day Ashanti African Tours trip guided by William Aprahu and Paul Mensah. Others included the magical Yellow-headed Picathartes, Nkulengu Rail, Spot-breasted Ibis and Hartlaub's Duck.

Steve

Last trip (looking for orchids & birds) to the Western Andes Choco highlands of Colombia, including also a bit of Cauca Valley and a couple of C Andes spots, plus the lowlands of Uraba near the Choco, yielded a couple of much sought after birds for me:

* Comb Duck (Sarkidiornis melanotos), that is a quite rare bird in Colombia and not often found. Cauca Valley mainly. Been seen here a couple of years ago, quite intermittently, but I could not connect with these guys before (amazing shots from friends at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26175334@N02/6418375433/)!... see attached photo of my birds ;-)

* Barred Hawk (Leucopternis princeps), one of the raptors I wanted to see most and have just not being able to visiting several locations where it occurs in Colombia. Got several nice individuals, singing and soaring above our heads... loved it!... see attached photo of my lifbird ;-)

Diego.

ps. you can see the whole trip album EVEN WITHOUT A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT using this link:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151169705673517.453866.670093516&type=1&l=d744e500ef

Attachments

• Comb Duck - Sarkidiornis melanotos.JPG
    Comb Duck - Sarkidiornis melanotos.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Barred Hawk.JPG
    Barred Hawk.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back