• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (7 Viewers)

finally spotted on Monday the elusive Yellow-Billed Cuckoo that has been reported at a local site for the past couple of weeks. That was my first Cuckoo :) ...and two days before I saw my first Swamp Sparrow.

A beautiful redhead

Hello all,

I finally managed to see a rare visitor to Manhattan: a red-headed woodpecker. This one was near Azalea Pond, in the Ramble, in New York's Central Park.
Image from a painting by Louis Agassiz Fuertes, which appeared in Eaton's Birds of New York, 1914
Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• red headed woodpecker.jpg
    red headed woodpecker.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 32
Hello all,

I finally managed to see a rare visitor to Manhattan: a red-headed woodpecker. This one was near Azalea Pond, in the Ramble, in New York's Central Park.
Image from a painting by Louis Agassiz Fuertes, which appeared in Eaton's Birds of New York, 1914
Happy bird watching,
Arthur

that's a good one ! I'm a little envious. congrats.

I added Cetti's Warbler and Garden Warbler at RSPB Ham Wall in Somerset on Saturday morning. I'd had brief glimpses of Cetti's many times before, but this was the first good look at one. Got back to London but missed out on the Red-backed Shrike on my local patch at London Wetland Centre.

I managed to get a Thrush Nightingale at the Steinhorster Becken near Paderborn, Germany. It was the first record for Kreis Paderborn!

Barrow's Goldeneye was the only new bird I picked up on a Trip to the Yellowstone-Grand Teton area. Did pick up a scad of new mammals though.

A very attractive female Red Necked Phalarope at Coombe (Glos) on 26th May. Three days previously a long awaited Wood Warbler and Spotted Flycatcher at Nagshead.

All very nice birds.

and...

I was reviewing my posts and determined that I had claimed a Loggerhead Shrike twice instead of just the once...sorry.

Today (and firsts for me as far as I remember)

- Horned Larks...after two years looking for them in their supposed habitat, today, there they were.

- Savannah Sparrow.

John

Le Conte's Thrasher last week outside of Phoenix (Buckeye to be more specific). After a week or so in SE AZ, I'm very happy to break 500 for the ABA area, and 1300 worldwide.

Edward- Nice bunch of lifers in Turkey. How I would love to go birding there!
Diego- Congrats on 1243 for Colombia!

As for myself, I finally got another lifer in Costa Rica 2 weeks ago- White-chinned Swift at Pocosol Research Station. We knew it occurred in the area but despite checking all the swifts we saw, the species didn't show up until our second day. Three birds first gave their distinctive call and then showed their odd, truly bat-like flight. 740 for my Costa Rica list, I forget where it goes on my world list, something around 2,500.

Turtle dove at Otmoor RSPB near Oxford. Not on a par with the mega-rarities some people are reporting here, but when you live in Wiltshire it counts as pretty special.

Also removed the "(heard only)" from sedge warbler on my life list after one sat at the top of a tree singing its heart out. Pretty good day, all told.

Finally saw a pied flycatcher at last - only after about 10 years of visiting one of the places they're known to frequent. Still dipped on the redstart though - maybe next time!

Edit: Looked at my records - turns out I have seen a redstart before, but it was only a brief glimpse. Wouldn't mind seeing one again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back