• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (8 Viewers)

Last weekend I finally saw (as opposed to just hearing) my lifer Common Poorwill. The best part? It was just a 20-minute walk from my house to the mountain trail where I searched for it at dusk, and I was rewarded with brief glimpses as it flew out of the chapparal and responded to my playback (which I only started once I knew it was there). Before this, I thought I'd have to take a vehicle up to the San Gabriels/Angeles National Forest; it's nice having a longtime nemesis bird show up just a few blocks from where I live.

With Least Bittern and now Common Poorwill off the "nemesis" list, only my biggest L.A. County-nesting nemesis bird, Scott's Oriole, remains to be seen. (The fact I've searched for it mostly in Kern County, where my relatives live, notwithstanding.) Once I find it, there will be much rejoicing.

Congrats Diego! That darn nunbird eluded me despite spending plenty of time in habitat for it in Ecuador.

Patrick, for sure is a bird to miss EASILY!.. it perches on sub-canopy, silent, for hours!!... I made some 'prospective' playback every 30 minutes / 200m or so on the area where it was seen before; and it worked out!

I also missed it at Tandayapa in Ecuador and worked there for a full month back in 2003!

;-)

Never updated from last weekend, but got 4 more lifers on the Otago Peninsula

Northern Royal Albatross
Shy Albatross
Spotted Shag
and Stewart Island Shag

Hopefully get Yellow-eyed Penguin today

Thanks to the AOU's decision to (finally) split the Sage Sparrow into 2 species, I got my first "armchair" lifer: Sagebrush Sparrow, which I saw in Utah in fall 2010 after seeing what is now classified as Bell's Sparrow here in California earlier that summer (and have seen several times since). Retroactively, my list goes up a notch to 451 species.

Thanks to the AOU's decision to (finally) split the Sage Sparrow into 2 species, I got my first "armchair" lifer: Sagebrush Sparrow, which I saw in Utah in fall 2010 after seeing what is now classified as Bell's Sparrow here in California earlier that summer (and have seen several times since). Retroactively, my list goes up a notch to 451 species.

Unfortunately, I lose a lifer with that update thanks to the lump of purple-crowned and green-crowned woodnymph.

Unfortunately, I lose a lifer with that update thanks to the lump of purple-crowned and green-crowned woodnymph.

The purple-crowned and green-crowned woodnymph are "lumped" as what?
The only woodnymphs I find in my "dated, 1991" Clements are:
Crowned, Fork-tailed, Long-tailed and Violet-capped.

Edited:
Looks like Purple-crowned & Green-crowned are lumped into Crowned Woodnymph now. And the "powers that be" have added Mexican Woodnymph, Thalurania ridgwayi.

From Wikipedia I get this:
1. Crowned Woodnymph (Thalurania colombica)
Violet-crowned (or Purple-crowned) Woodnymph (Thalurania colombica colombica)
Green-crowned Woodnymph (Thalurania colombica fannyi)
Emerald-bellied Woodnymph (Thalurania colombica hypochlora)

2. Fork-tailed Woodnymph (Thalurania furcata)
3. Violet-capped Woodnymph (Thalurania glaucopis)
4. Mexican Woodnymph (Thalurania ridgwayi)
5. Long-tailed Woodnymph (Thalurania watertonii)

So is this pretty current?

Wood sandpiper at Slimbridge on 1 August. At the same time there was a spoonbill pretty much doing a song and dance routine right in front of the hide, so half the people in the hide were looking one way and half the other, all equally intently.

From Wikipedia I get this:
1. Crowned Woodnymph (Thalurania colombica)
Violet-crowned (or Purple-crowned) Woodnymph (Thalurania colombica colombica)
Green-crowned Woodnymph (Thalurania colombica fannyi)
Emerald-bellied Woodnymph (Thalurania colombica hypochlora)

2. Fork-tailed Woodnymph (Thalurania furcata)
3. Violet-capped Woodnymph (Thalurania glaucopis)
4. Mexican Woodnymph (Thalurania ridgwayi)
5. Long-tailed Woodnymph (Thalurania watertonii)

So is this pretty current?

As I understand it, yes.

I got a Black Stork on sunday, along with road rash and a broken telezoom:-C. I tripped over a bit of circular wire lying on the road as I was getting to a better position to photograph.

Sorry about your recent equipment misfortunes Andy! Did you incur any physical injury in addition to your "road rash"?

* I am unfamiliar with "road rash", but I assume it may have something to do with skinned up hands and knees!

Fawn-breasted Thrush, along with some 86 others ("Birdquest taxonomy") in the ever-so-wet southern Moluccas (bridges and roads being washed away on our second day on Buru did not help).
Unfortunately my most spectacular sighting was of an introduction (which I won't count) — a Southern Cassowarry on Seram.

Sorry about your recent equipment misfortunes Andy! Did you incur any physical injury in addition to your "road rash"?

* I am unfamiliar with "road rash", but I assume it may have something to do with skinned up hands and knees!

Thanks Larry, thats it, just cuts and bruises, no serious damage. just knees and outside of arms as I tried to shield the camera in the fall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back